Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Healthy Recipes

  1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    Wild*Rose's Avatar
    Wild*Rose is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    5,429


    #1

    Healthy Recipes

    Advertisements
    DH and I have both realized we need a healthier lifestyle and to start eating better. I am not good at cooking healthy food (as in I'm bad about thinking things are "healthy" that aren't) so give me all your healthy recipes that are also tasty! Blogs etc that you like would also be great. I'm also really really bad with vegetables...there are only a few that I like (broccoli, green beans, corn and raw carrots lol) and a lot of leafy greens tend to give me gastrointestinal issues...so yea I know I need to work more in but I need to find some sort of balance because salad kills me.
  2. Senior Member
    kw1214's Avatar
    kw1214 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    858
    #2
    Eating healthy isn't all that hard - it's getting in the healthy habit that's difficult. Preparing ahead of time is key - having the fridge stocked with fresh veggies and fruit certainly helps if you are starving and need to reach for something! I think once you cut out the processed foods and sugar you actually loose the cravings for them ( or at least in my case I did).

    Eating lots of protein chicken, fish, lean beef) is just as important as the veggies. I use Mrs. Dash salt free seasonings on my chicken and then bake - simple! My Summer favorite as been grilled asparagus: drizzle fresh asparagus in light olive oil, add Mrs. Dash seasoning and grill. I'll add a touch of Parmesan cheese after it comes off the grill.

    Flat out makes a great low carb/calorie wrap and lately I've been addicted to them at lunch time. Stuff it with tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce and a few slices of lunch meat ... yummo! I'll also drizzle a bit of dressing in there even though it does add calories.
  3. we were all rooting for you
    KittenMittens's Avatar
    KittenMittens is offline
    we were all rooting for you
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    6,675
    #3
    If you don't like vegetables, my tip is to try them roasted! Especially since it's getting cooler outside. I love any combination of veggies, tossed in olive oil/salt/pepper/garlic and roasted. Super easy, and you can add whatever you like including meat or subbing out other veggies as you prefer.

    A few epic combinations that I like:

    butternut squash, sweet potato, red onion, carrots, thyme
    baby red potatoes, onion, acorn squash, rosemary

    This link has a ton more: Roasted Vegetable Recipes | Food | Purewow
  4. Senior Member
    missinghim's Avatar
    missinghim is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,316
    #4
    Here are some links to some of my favorite healthy recipes! Some are more healthy than others, but none are 'bad for you'.

    1) Chicken lime soup (SO good! I buy a roasted chicken from the grocery store for the meat.)
    Chicken and Lime Soup - Budget Bytes

    2) Marinated pork chops (super simple, but does have some sugar. I suggest doing simple sides with this one like steamed broccoli to keep the entire meal healthy)
    Marinated Baked Pork Chops Recipe - Allrecipes.com

    3) Turkey meatloaf (easy and delicious! It's actually a 21 day fix extreme recipe)
    https://maeganblinka.wordpress.com/2...rkey-meatloaf/

    4) Honey Garlic Salmon (delicious and simple if you're new to cooking fish)
    Honey Garlic Salmon - The Cooking Jar

    5) Stuffed peppers (another great 21 day fix extreme recipe!)
    Honeybee Homemaker: Stuffed Bell Peppers
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

    Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    Wild*Rose's Avatar
    Wild*Rose is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    5,429


    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by kw1214 View Post
    Eating healthy isn't all that hard - it's getting in the healthy habit that's difficult. Preparing ahead of time is key - having the fridge stocked with fresh veggies and fruit certainly helps if you are starving and need to reach for something! I think once you cut out the processed foods and sugar you actually loose the cravings for them ( or at least in my case I did).

    Eating lots of protein chicken, fish, lean beef) is just as important as the veggies. I use Mrs. Dash salt free seasonings on my chicken and then bake - simple! My Summer favorite as been grilled asparagus: drizzle fresh asparagus in light olive oil, add Mrs. Dash seasoning and grill. I'll add a touch of Parmesan cheese after it comes off the grill.

    Flat out makes a great low carb/calorie wrap and lately I've been addicted to them at lunch time. Stuff it with tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce and a few slices of lunch meat ... yummo! I'll also drizzle a bit of dressing in there even though it does add calories.
    this is 100% what I need to start doing. I spent like half my work day today finding recipes and meal planning for the rest of the week so now I just need to keep it up every week! I really don't grave sugar at all I'm more of a savory person so its the salt, pizza, sausage etc that I crave horribly lol. I'll have to try those flat out things! I've seen them in the Harris Teeter but never grabbed them. And I'll have to try asparagus again;last time I found it way to bitter for my taste but maybe seasoning it will help.
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    If you don't like vegetables, my tip is to try them roasted! Especially since it's getting cooler outside. I love any combination of veggies, tossed in olive oil/salt/pepper/garlic and roasted. Super easy, and you can add whatever you like including meat or subbing out other veggies as you prefer.

    A few epic combinations that I like:

    butternut squash, sweet potato, red onion, carrots, thyme
    baby red potatoes, onion, acorn squash, rosemary

    This link has a ton more: Roasted Vegetable Recipes | Food | Purewow
    I will have to try these! this is already how I cook green beans and potatoes so I can just do the same thing with different combos! And now that DH is home I can make him cut butternut squash I have a really hard time with that myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    Here are some links to some of my favorite healthy recipes! Some are more healthy than others, but none are 'bad for you'.

    1) Chicken lime soup (SO good! I buy a roasted chicken from the grocery store for the meat.)
    Chicken and Lime Soup - Budget Bytes

    2) Marinated pork chops (super simple, but does have some sugar. I suggest doing simple sides with this one like steamed broccoli to keep the entire meal healthy)
    Marinated Baked Pork Chops Recipe - Allrecipes.com

    3) Turkey meatloaf (easy and delicious! It's actually a 21 day fix extreme recipe)
    https://maeganblinka.wordpress.com/2...rkey-meatloaf/

    4) Honey Garlic Salmon (delicious and simple if you're new to cooking fish)
    Honey Garlic Salmon - The Cooking Jar

    5) Stuffed peppers (another great 21 day fix extreme recipe!)
    Honeybee Homemaker: Stuffed Bell Peppers
    thank you!! I am def adding these to MFP right now to add to next weeks meal plan!! I might try that honey garlic on chicken too...
  6. Senior Member
    Sabrina22LE's Avatar
    Sabrina22LE is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,394
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    Here are some links to some of my favorite healthy recipes! Some are more healthy than others, but none are 'bad for you'.

    1) Chicken lime soup (SO good! I buy a roasted chicken from the grocery store for the meat.)
    Chicken and Lime Soup - Budget Bytes

    2) Marinated pork chops (super simple, but does have some sugar. I suggest doing simple sides with this one like steamed broccoli to keep the entire meal healthy)
    Marinated Baked Pork Chops Recipe - Allrecipes.com

    3) Turkey meatloaf (easy and delicious! It's actually a 21 day fix extreme recipe)
    https://maeganblinka.wordpress.com/2...rkey-meatloaf/

    4) Honey Garlic Salmon (delicious and simple if you're new to cooking fish)
    Honey Garlic Salmon - The Cooking Jar

    5) Stuffed peppers (another great 21 day fix extreme recipe!)
    Honeybee Homemaker: Stuffed Bell Peppers
    I just have to say that everyone I have introduced to chicken lime soup absolutely LOVES it. We buy a variety of veggies and everyone chooses what they want, that way everybody's happy. I love how quick and easy it is and so so good.
  7. Senior Member
    Sabrina22LE's Avatar
    Sabrina22LE is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,394
    #7
    I loooove cucumbers so my favorite quick, clean-eating meal is cucumber sandwiches. Just thinly sliced cucumber and cream cheese on whatever bread you have. I also love making cucumber salad with onions and tomatoes. Most people I know use Italian dressing, but that can get high in sodium, a really good alternative is vinegar and pepper. You can spruce it up with olives or feta cheese and it's super yummy and refreshing.
  8. Team Rocket
    rocket_lizz's Avatar
    rocket_lizz is offline
    Team Rocket
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Diego!!!
    Posts
    9,069
    #8
    So one thing that I've found that helps DH and I is more along the lines of portion control - we eat ONE serving of each element of a meal (an actual serving, not a plateful) and then sit and talk, and drink a glass or 2 of water, and relax. If you're still hungry 15-20 min later, you can get a little more.

    For example, last night we had steamed cauliflower with lemon, grilled zucchini with garlic oil, and chicken-feta sausages. One cup of cauliflower, one zucchini, one sausage. I went back for more cauliflower and DH took another half sausage.

    In the past we would have finished off 4 sausages, 4 grilled zucchinis, and a whole head of steamed cauliflower.

    Additionally, we only have ONE calorie-containing drink per day. If I have a sweet latte in the morning, no beer or wine at night. If DH wants a beer, no soda at lunch.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  9. Old Newbie
    oliveswilde's Avatar
    oliveswilde is offline
    Old Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    27
    #9
    DH and I have found out the Paleo diet helps our GI issues. With some veggies, we juice them instead of worrying about eating them.

    Turkey Sweet Potato chili super easy in a crock-pot or Insta-pot.
    Kalyn's Kitchen®: Paleo Turkey Sweet Potato Chili

    Chicken Enchilada Casserole
    Chicken Enchilada Casserole (a.k.a. "Stacked" Chicken Enchiladas)

    Chicken Soup
    http://stupideasypaleo.com/wp-conten...ipe-Guide-.pdf

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •