Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Do you think this is okay?

1. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡

Do you think this is okay?

Advertisements
    I'm having my grandparents and parents over for dinner on Saturday. It is the first time my grandparents have been to our new house or even met DF and our baby. My grandma is extremely particular (and that's being really nice) so I'm kind of nervous about it. She always find fault with something, but that's another story for a different day. I've been cleaning forever it feels like, and I'm still not finished! We're doing the whole late Christmas dinner with ham/turkey/etc. deal tonight at my mom's house; therefore, I decided a light meal might be best.

I've been planning to make bourbon glazed salmon because I've done it several times before and it always turns out wonderfully. I'll post the link below in case anyone is interested. I figured I'd just do rice and roasted asparagus with it, but I'm not really sure. What do you think? Do you have another side suggestion that might be better? I was going to have spinach dip & hummus for an easy, no-fuss appetizer beforehand. I am not sure if I should make a dessert because my grandma is diabetic, but she does eat normal sweets anyway! We also have a TON of cookies and other holiday treats (including better-than-Starbucks cranberry bliss bars) left over from Christmas, so I guess that and coffee would be okay to serve.

Ugh, I shouldn't be this anxious about having family over!! I really do not care what she thinks for my sake, but I don't want to embarrass my mom who really does care about her family. Anyway, I digress...

Here's a fairly similar recipe to the one I use!
    Bourbon-Glazed Salmon Recipe - Health.com

2. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    It sounds delicious. I really like zucchini or broccoli with salmon so you could consider adding those as sides. I wouldn't mess with desserts since you already have so many. But I think your nerves will go away when everyone is together and having a good time!

That bourbon glaze sounds so good btw
  3. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    It sounds delicious. I really like zucchini or broccoli with salmon so you could consider adding those as sides. I wouldn't mess with desserts since you already have so many. But I think your nerves will go away when everyone is together and having a good time!

That bourbon glaze sounds so good btw
    Oh, we do love broccoli! That would be easy to add because I can just steam it real quick. Thanks!! And omg yes it is really good & really easy to prepare, definitely try it some time!

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

It sounds great! She'll probably be so excited to meet the baby that she'll get over anything else that she might find to pick on. I really can't see her finding fault with what sounds like an awesome dinner!
  5. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    So how did things go with your grandma? I LOVE salmon, so that sounds good to me.
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  6. Senior Member
    That sounds perfect! I hope it goes smoothly!
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Easy veggies:
    Boil water. Put in Asparagus or other veggies for 30 second. Pull them out and put them in gallon freezer bag. Add a little butter, salt and pepper, and any herbs you want. Seal bag.
    veggies will stay green from the blanching, and steam themselves while in the bag.
    Right before serving, 30 seconds in microwave.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  8. Senior Member
    How did it go?! Your dinner sounded lovely.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  9. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Thanks guys! It went pretty well. They loved the salmon, roasted asparagus, and steamed broccoli. I kind of forgot the rolls, but ended up getting them on the table a couple minutes after dinner. Nobody really touched the rice, but oh well! I think overall they didn't have many complaints, so Id consider that a success!!

Asher- next time I'll definitely try the veggies that way. Sounds easy and Yummy!

Eta: my mom brought a rum cake over for dessert and we had that with coffee from my Keurig!