Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mason Jar Salads

1. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Mason Jar Salads

Advertisements
    So all this grocery talk got me thinking about this idea I saw on Pinterest.

My mom also recently just got into it as well so I'm thinking about starting this to try and get on track to eating healthier and making DH eat healthier too!

Has anyone heard of/does the mason jar salad? This is what they look like below:

I thought it was a really neat idea, you put the salad dressing you want on the bottom and then layer the ingredients. They stay fresh for about 2-3 days so you can pack them in advance for work etc.

I'm trying to compile some salad "recipe" ideas since DH and I are going to go grocery shopping tonight

Any salad ideas?? I love the Feta Strawberry Walnut salad with the strawberry vingarette! that is one of my favorites.

I was also thinking a Taco-esque salad would be a good idea! Or throwing some whole grain rotini or tortellinis in and making it a pasta salad!

2. Travel Junkie
    Travel Junkie
    Several of my friends have posted the link on FB. I love the idea! It recommends soups, too, since you can just microwave the jar at work.

I like the idea of preparing several to just have ready in the fridge waiting! I eat salad 1-2x/day and live alone, so having pre-prepared individual servings appeals to me.
  3. Senior Member
    I love salad with chicken, dried cranberries, feta, and raspberry vinaigrette.

Or chicken lightly sauteed with hot sauce red wine vinegar; a buttermilk, blue cheese, and red wine vinegar dressing (super easy to make--just those 3 things and some spices to taste), blue cheese and greens. It's basically a buffalo wings salad.

I've never done the mason jars, but those are salads I like.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

That's adorable!

I'm making a grocery list right now and was thinking of starting a thread about recipes for healthy things

I'm boring and like romaine with a light Caesar dressing and grilled chicken or baked salmon.
  5. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    That seems like a good idea but wouldn't the veggies on the bottom closest to the dressing get mushy?

6. Travel Junkie
    Travel Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    That's adorable!

I'm making a grocery list right now and was thinking of starting a thread about recipes for healthy things

I'm boring and like romaine with a light Caesar dressing and grilled chicken or baked salmon.
    That would work perfectly in a mason jar. The recommendation is to put the dressing at the bottom and items that can marinate or soak up the dressing in next. Putting your Caesar dressing in first with your chicken next would separate the dressing from getting your lettuce soggy.
  7. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Quote Originally Posted by guerita View Post
    That would work perfectly in a mason jar. The recommendation is to put the dressing at the bottom and items that can marinate or soak up the dressing in next. Putting your Caesar dressing in first with your chicken next would separate the dressing from getting your lettuce soggy.
    That's a really good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by FinallyMrsG View Post
    That seems like a good idea but wouldn't the veggies on the bottom closest to the dressing get mushy?
    I think the previous posters idea would be good to combat that! If you had meat, or even chickpeas or other beans you could use them as a buffer to keep the veggies dry.
  8. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    That's a really good idea!

I think the previous posters idea would be good to combat that! If you had meat, or even chickpeas or other beans you could use them as a buffer to keep the veggies dry.
    didn't think about putting meat there, I would for sure eat Caesar salad with chicken this way!

9. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Quote Originally Posted by guerita View Post
    Ummm delicious!! That idea is going on my grocery list now I didn't even think of Cesar salad. You could throw in a little bit of parmesan too! Or even make like a greek chicken salad! I'm so hungry now

10. Senior Member
    My go to salad is baby spinach (bought in bulk at Costco, whoooo!), craisins, feta, and a balsamic vinaigrette (that I make myself... balsamic vinegar and walnut oil with a little bit of agave). I sometimes add other fruits or grilled chicken, but that is an easy one to throw together.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast