Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: healthy meals my husband will like

1. Senior Member
    Weekly Activity
    7.07%

healthy meals my husband will like

Soo since moving in with my husband my eating habits have gotten bad. When I lived alone, I cooked healthier, smaller meals.What I ate wouldn't fill up my husband. Now with my husband, I cook food he will like...lots of red meat, pasta, potatoes, rice. I always have a veggie in there and I try to cook chicken occasionally but I like my meals to be simple and quick to cook and I don't know what else to do with it, plus its expensive. Anyone have ideas on how I can take the things he likes and make it healthier? recipes???

thanks!
  2. Senior Member
    Weekly Activity
    1.41%
    Steak and Pepper Tacos

Ingredients
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1 garlic clove, minced
    3 ounces steak strips
    1 1/2 cups sliced green and red bell peppers
    1/2 cup sliced onion
    2 small (6-inch) whole-grain tortillas
    4 tablespoons salsa
    2 tablespoons low-fat sour cream

Make It
    In a skillet, saute olive oil, cumin and garlic for 1 minute. Add steak strips and cook about 5 minutes. Add pepper and onion slices and cook for another 8 minutes. Place mixture in tortillas and fold. Top with salsa and sour cream

I also add long thin strips of zucchini, thin sliced onion, long thin slices of young yellow squash to increase the vegetable content. My husband loves this dish with the extra veggies. I will also use Taco seasoning instead of just the cumin to give it a different taste. This doesn't take much meat and the vegetables help with "filling up".
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  3. Senior Member
    Weekly Activity
    1.41%
    Chicken shredded or sliced beef (leftovers are great for this)
    tomato (sliced or chopped)
    lettuce (preferably a leaf lettuce)
    cilantro
    onion
    tortilla shells
    black beans
    salsa

Use all ingredients and create wraps
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  4. Senior Member
    Weekly Activity
    1.41%
    A chili recipe I use

Hearty Beef Chili

Ingredients
    1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 10-ounce can chopped tomatoes and green chili peppers, undrained
    2 cups vegetable juice or tomato juice
    1-2 tablespoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 1/2 pounds beef or pork stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
    2 cups chopped onion
    1 1/2 cups chopped celery
    1 cup chopped green bell pepper
    2 15-ounce black beans, kidney beans, or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
    Reduced-fat cheddar, low-fat sour cream and cilantro (optional)

Make It
    In a 6-quart cooker, combine both cans of tomatoes, vegetable juice, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and garlic. Mix in the meat, onion, celery, and pepper. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Stir in the drained beans, then cover and cook for 15 minutes more (if using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting). Ladle chili into bowls. Garnish with cheese, sour cream, and cilantro, if desired.
  5. Senior Member
    Weekly Activity
    7.07%
  6. Señor Member
    Señor Member
    Weekly Activity
    83.43%
    My favorite (& easy) healthy meals are seafood. Salmon, Tilapia, Shrimp, and Scallops. I mostly just season the Salmon & Tilapia with whatever I'm feeling froggy to shake. Lemon & pepper are obvious choices to season anything from the ocean. Serve it with some brown rice, or over whole wheat noodles, and green veggies.

For an AWESOME salso to serve over salmon or tilapia I
    Chop up: Tomatoes, Jalepono peppers, fruit of my choice (Mostly mangoes and/or strawberries)
    Add: A teeny bit of salt, some pepper, lemon & lime juice. & stir it all together.
    Let that soak for about 20 minutes (while the fish cooks) and once the fish is done add it over top.
    Or you can let it soak before cooking the fish and add it to the top of the fish while it cooks. Just depends on if you like the taste better warm or cold. I guess you could always just microwave it for a little to warm it up, too to keep it moist rather than the oven drying it out a bit. But cooking it in the oven keeps the fish more moist as well.

Asian Lettuce Wraps.

Cook ground turkey with shredded carrots, green onions, some ginger, soy sauce, white vinegar, and teriyaki. Add whatever else you think would taste good too
    Serve it in "bowls" or "burritos" made of lettuce.

Always sub ground beef for 98% or higher lean ground beef, or ground turkey or chicken.

If you DO eat carbs, stick to complex not simple. But try to keep carbs at lunch time, not dinner time. The closer you eat carbs to bedtime, the higher the change that those carbs will break down into bad sugars which will turn to fat that you won't burn off during the day.

Dont: Russet, red, etc. potatoes
    Do: Sweet potatoes

Stick with whole grain noodles & breads

Dont: Carrots, Corn
    Do: Greens!

We do herbalife, so I have a ton of healthy recipes that I got from the Herbalife site. Here's a link (They have shake recipes, but ignore those Just stay in the "meal" section in the drop down menu ) to where I find a lot of my recipes
    Herbalife - United States - Asian Lettuce Cups Recipe
    Some of the recipes call for weird ingredients that you may not know where to buy or want to eat, so I just do my best to substitue, or just plain don't add them.

be cool.
  7. Senior Member
    Weekly Activity
    1.41%
    Loving this thread!

Sometimes we have a big salad made with spinach leaves, strawberries, pecans, and that white crumbly cheese. It's super quick & easy and can be filling or used as a side dish.
  8. simply_sweetx0
    simply_sweetx0
    Weekly Activity
    1.41%
    Skinnytaste check out these recipes!
  9. Senior Member
    Weekly Activity
    1.41%
    Quote Originally Posted by Nette. View Post
    Skinnytaste check out these recipes!
    I like the Halloween ghost cake ball idea. Gonna have to try that sometime.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast