Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jadeey & Jenni Penni April 2011

1. >.< *face palm* >.<
    >.< *face palm* >.<

Hello Jadeey & Jenni Penni April 2011

Advertisements
    Hello Ladies! Come on in and say hello to your pal!
  2. Senior Member
    Hehehehe Hey!!

It's like midnight here so I'm about to go to bed but I'll write you a proper reply tomorrow. Especially since I was going to reply to your message anyway!

I'm glad we're going to be deployment pals.
  3. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    be silly. be honest. be kind.
    haha I couldn't believe it when I opened up the PM! Yay

How you doin' chica? What's goin' on with you today?

I just got back from a CPR/First Aid class. And today is DF and I's first anniversary but he's got offline oh well

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

4. Senior Member
    Right. I am now awake again! It's Sunday morning here and it's a gorgeous day so I'm going to go for a walk with my parents shortly. They are doing this week long hike just before Easter and are doing lots of little hikes in preparation so I said I would go along with them today. (I got a text message from Dad this morning begging me to come -I'm totally his little girl - so I can't resist.)

How was the CPR/First Aid class? I always find them to be fairly boring because we have to repeat them every 2 years and it's always the same stuff. It can be fun if you have a good group of people though.

I hope your DF gets back online so you can talk to him! Although, what kind of a deployment would it be if you actually got to talk to him when you wanted right?

Oh yeah so I was going to tell you more about the university system here. I think stuff like schooling is a real advantage to living in a small country. The entire population of New Zealand is only 4 million people, so it would be impossible to have the schooling structure you guys have. There just aren't enough students to have different levels of quality in our universities.

We also get advantages in things like the Government taking good care of us financially. You don't really get homeless people in New Zealand - unless they are homeless by choice - because we are a welfare state which means if you are unemployed the Government will take care of you financially. If you are on an unemployment benefit of any description you qualify for government funded housing which means your rent is tiny.

A few years ago I lived with an unemployed friend and our rent each week was only $35 (between us!) thanks to the Government assisted housing. I was studying at the time so it really helped me out. The place wasn't too bad either. A 2 bedroom place in a sort of dodgy part of town. The outside was terrible, but inside it was all freshly painted, the bathroom was newly remodeled and it was very warm.

So, yeah, stuff like that is a real advantage. Plus our public healthcare is all free so you only have to pay if you want to avoid waiting lists.

Of course, there are huge disadvantages too. Like the cost of living is extreme compared to you guys. I was in America with a couple of friends last year and we were astonished by how cheap food was (and how big the meals were! Your small McDonalds combos are the size of our large!). Plus petrol is about double what you guys pay for it.

Advantages and disadvantages to everything!

How are you feeling about your orientation on Monday? Excited? Nervous? Some other emotion?
  5. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    That sounds like an awesome morning!! Where do you guys go hiking at? It's been raining here for, like, the past week, boo Hopefully spring starts coming soon!

Have to ask...how often do you eat Nutella?

The class went pretty good, it was pretty boring like you said, all the same stuff all over again. But my teacher was pretty cool, she suggested that I become a volunteer EMT and they'll even pay for my training. Definitely thinking about it...

Ugh your school system sounds awesome! So jellie. I'll definitely have to do some looking up on New Zealand, it sounds so interesting, way different than the US. My exDB and his family are from New Zealand, and one of my best friends just got back from Australia. He started calling his swimsuit "boardies" or something like that, and his sandals "thongs". I was like, "Michael, what are you doing..."

I'm excited about orientation, for sure, very nervous too though. I keep waiting for it to fall through because it's such a good job. It'll all work out how it's supposed to though

My mom and I have some places in mind for the wedding venue...especially this one house right on the beach with a bonfire and a beautiful home and greenery and driftwood and it's gorgeous. But weddings are soooooo expensive, oh my gosh! A florist I was interested in wanted a minimum order of $1500 Yeah, no way, that's more than the wedding dress.
    Have you and your DB talked about maybe getting married and a proposal? Sorry if I've already asked, but how long have you guys been together? I'm sure when he gets home that he won't be letting you out of his sight for a while anyways Can't believe your man is almost home!! That's so good!!! Do you guys have any special plans or anything special you guys want to do? Where has he been deployed to?

DF has been gone for about 7mths and he has about 5 more to go. Gettin' there He never got back online but that's ok...hopefully we'll talk tomorrow. It just kinda' sucks because the most I got was "happy anniversary", no "I love you" or anything...and I've been pretty excited about it and sent him a gushy message and made him a photoalbum with pictures and lovey song lyrics, oh well

Can't wait to hear all about your hike! Hope you have a great time!

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

6. Senior Member
    Around here there are heaps of bush walks and stuff so there's always plenty to choose from. We went to a place called Otari-Wilton Bush. I tried to find a website with some photos for you but none of them really have many pictures. The walk is pretty easy and only took about 2 hours but it was really fun to just chill out with my parents.

Hahahha i've only ever tried Nutella once! I hated the taste. My nephew eats it pretty much every day for breakfast though.

Oh hey if you became a volunteer EMT that would be AWESOME. Especially if your training is taken care of. I've found doing the volunteer firefighting has been a good way to keep my mind off DB being away because I'm always so busy with it. It'd be such a help to the community too. If it's anything like here then they can never get enough volunteers.

Yeah New Zealand and the US are pretty different, mainly because everything here is so much smaller. Our buildings are shorter, our cities are smaller and the numbers of people on the street are so much less just because our population is so much smaller.

I laugh every time I'm in Australia and I hear sandals being called thongs. We call them sandals or jandals too and for us a thong is a g-string. My cousins live over there and the first time one of them asked me if I'd seen her thongs I just about had a heart attack from laughing.

We call swimsuits 'togs' which I bet sounds like a bizarre word to you. Which reminds me, I need some new togs before DB gets back. Better get onto that!

$1500 for FLOWERS? Wow. I knew stuff was expensive, but that's ridiculous. The house on the beach sounds great! I can totally picture it, I've always wanted to get married on the beach. (Well, actually, there is a church that I fell in love with as a kid and would love to get married in but DB is not religious at all and since I don't MIND not getting married in a church I would respect his desire to get married outdoors)

DB and I talk about marriage sometimes. He's not ready though, not even close. His parents got divorced when he was a kid so it's sort of put him off marriage a bit, I think we'll get there eventually though. We already live together and talk about our future as being together - we're looking at buying a house when he gets back (and he wants a puppy). We've been together, ummm, just on 15 months.

When he gets back we're going to spend a week with his family in Auckland and then flying over to the Gold Coast in Australia for a week to go to the theme parks and enjoy the beach. It's going to be fantastic!

I'm so lucky my boss was easy-going about giving me a couple of weeks off work. DB's deployment is only 7 months total (to Afghanistan) and I had 2 weeks off right before he left, so I was a bit nervous asking for MORE leave only 7 months later. (Especially since I also had that week for my fire service course)

Has your DF had R&R yet? that he didn't get back online. That's so cute that you made him the photoalbum and stuff, I bet he loved it. At least he remembered the "happy anniversary", over there I imagine it'd be easy to lose track of the date and just not realise.

No, your job is not going to fall through, because you deserve a good job that makes you happy. You'll have to tell me all about how it goes on Monday.
  7. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    (wrote out a whole post and then MSOS pooped out and deleted it lol)

I'll have to google it! Sounds like a great time

Pfffft who doesn't like nutella?? Mmmm, peanut butter and nutella sandwhiches. It's like a gigantic Reese's peanut butter cup. Honestly I didn't like it when I first tried it either though...

Thanks! I'm definitely gonna' look more into becoming a volunteer, just gonna' see how my schedule for work plays out. How do your shifts for firefighting work? Are they scheduled or on-call? How does that work with your job?

Where did "jandals" come from?

Isn't that a crazy amount of money? How do they expect to get business with requiring that kind of money? Holy moses. Getting married on the beach seems like a beautiful idea I've always liked the idea of getting married in a church because it's beautifully traditional, but outside is wonderful too. Do you have any place in mind?

Aww it sounds like you guys have so much good stuff going on And your plans for when he gets home sound amazing! You'll have to take pictures!

DF had his R&R about 3mths into his deployment, and then he had about 9mths more to go, thanks Army lol He hasn't gotten online today either, just hoping he's okay right now. I've actually have yet to send out the photoalbum (I've still got to get the pictures developed) but we're both running behind on getting anniversary presents to each other Did your DB get R&R? I know sometimes it's different with deployments shorter than 12mths...

How's your day going?

Thanks!!! Really nervous

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

8. Senior Member
    Oh I've done that before - written replies and then lost them. DB's mouse (He gave me his computer when he left because he wants to buy himself a new one so I guess I should call it MY mouse) has a button on the side that is the 'back' button. I accidentally hit it so often just after writing a long email. Drives me crazy!

Haha everyone over here is obsessed with Reese's Peanut Butter Cups because you can't get them here. Although, I think they might be on their way here. I've heard rumours that a supermarket chain is going to start importing them.

I was so into the candy when I was on holiday in America. You guys have so much that we don't have. I'm hoping DB stops by one of the big American bases in Afghanistan on his way home to get me some candy!

For the firefighting we have a pager that we keep on us at all times. If it goes off we turn up to the station if we can. The first 4 people to arrive go to the call (only 4 to a truck). There's about 20 of us in the brigade so they pretty much always get 4 people. I haven't made it to a call yet - I'm too slow.

My parents own a beach house about an hour from where we live. I'm sort of keen on using that as a wedding venue. It'd be cheap and the weather is usually pretty fantastic. that's a long way off yet though!

Where are you guys going for your honeymoon?

Argh! R&R so early must have been wonderful at the time but awful now. The time does seem to just tick on by though, thank goodness!

The New Zealand army don't do deployments longer than 7 months (and even then they call them 6 months because the first and last couple of weeks are handover. So he's gone 7 months but everything refers to 6 months. Makes me angry!). Because of the short deployments they never get R&R. I can't really complain though since he's only gone 7 months.

It seems to me the army is a lot easier over here. (I don't mean for the guys - I mean for partners). Because the country is so small we only have 4 different army posts. 1 of them is in the South Island so that needs a plane ride to get to, but the other 3 are no more than a 6 hour drive apart. So the partner has a lot more option in NOT moving when the posting changes.

Plus our deployments are shorter and generally to safer locations. We're not in Iraq at all and in Afghanistan we are only in a small - slightly safer than some - area. Obviously no deployment is safe, but you know what I mean.

My day was pretty dumb today. Work was okay, but then fire training was cancelled (the trainer is sick) so I decided to go to the gym instead. I was pretty pleased about that because I want to lose another 3-5kg before DB gets back if I can. (Umm not sure what that is in pounds and can't be bothered looking it up ) Anyway, I get to the gym and realise that I can smell poo. I look at my foot and sure enough, I stood in dog poo at some point. I scraped most of it off but could still smell it. I didn't want to be THAT person at the gym who stinks up the place so I came home instead.

THEN I discovered that my wardrobe has fallen apart. The bar holding my clothes up has completely collapsed. Darn it!

okay, when I write it down that's hardly a bad day!

I can't work out what the time difference is, but I'm guessing it is the middle of the night for you and soon you'll be getting up to go to your first day of your job. Good luck!! I hope you get to work with nice people, I always find the people can make or break a job.

Is the job going to be shift work? Or regular Monday - Friday type hours?
  9. Senior Member
    Oh yeah and I have no idea where jandals came from.

I'll try and think up some other funny words we have for you.

Sheesh I wrote heaps. Sorry, I can be overly verbose at times! (I used to want to be a writer - I blame it on that)
  10. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    Ugh I think I'd go crazy if I had a button that would delete like that! It'd be happening all the time

You guys don't have Reese's? Oh no, that's awful! Are you guys as into coffee as much we are in the U.S.? I live in Washington (where Starbucks started out) and there's coffee and espresso stands everywhere. It's nuts.

Man, that's kinda' a crazy way to get to go on calls. I'd probably get lazy and be like "Oh those guys can get it..."

That beach house sounds like it'd be wonderful! Private, and beautiful and cheap! Not like spending $1500 on flowers... lol I still tease my mom about that. DF and I don't really have any set plans for our honeymoon, it's going to depend on how long of leave he has and if we have a car at the time. My mom and I have been looking into these little cabins along the beach that are cheaper than staying in a hotel! And they're super cute

It was nice only being apart for a few months before we saw each other again, it was the hardest goodbye ever though because it was gonna' be about another 9mths til we saw each other again. But now we've only got about 5mths to go! And you're almost done!! How much leave does your DB get when he comes home? I bet it'll feel amazing to be able to see him again.

That's nice that the bases are so close! I'm guessing because you guys live together that your DB is stationed pretty close to where you guys live? What does he do in the Army? DF is a tanker.

That's not hardly a bad day! That's a stinky day (no pun intended ) I hate it when you step on dog poo!! I did that one time on a run, came home and couldn't figure out what smelled soooo bad! Then I looked at my running shoes... lol

I had my two days of class-like orientation (which is why I was MIA for a while sorry ) and it was so great! The facility is sooooo cool, and I got paid for my two days of sitting for 8hrs and eating their food! Today I start my on-floor orientation (I'm a nursing assistant) so I'll put on scrubs and actually go take care of people. So nervous but so excited at the same time. My hours are on a rotating schedule, 4days on and 2days off and repeat, from 2:30pm to 10:30pm. Do you work normal Monday-Friday hrs?

I can't wait to hear your other Kiwi words! How are you doing? Hope you're having a great week If you wouldn't mind praying/sending out some good vibes for DF and his men...I didn't hear from him this past weekend because they were on a blackout, because a rocket hit one of the CHUs that the men live in on base and killed 2 men and injured 8. Makes me so scared...he's not safe anywhere, even where he sleeps. It's just so sad. And those families who had to hear about the passing of their husband/father

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast