Banned

Jadeey & guerita

Advertisements
    Come say hi to your pal!
  2. Senior Member
    how's your week going?
  3. Travel Junkie
    Travel Junkie
    HI!!! I'm glad the week is over! How was yours?
  4. Senior Member
    I shouldn't complain about my week because it actually wasn't too bad, and yet I'm sooo glad it's over. Only had a short week at work thanks to New Years so i'm currently trying to psych myself up for a regular 5 days at work week this week.

What are you up to for the weekend?

It's Sunday afternoon here, but I think it's only Saturday for you right? I just finished cleaning my car so I'm feeling all proud of myself, even though I haven't done any of the other cleaning I was supposed to do today.
  5. Travel Junkie
    Travel Junkie
    Thanks for your PM! I'm glad you had a good week. Short weeks are great

I didn't realize that you are IN New Zealand! WOW! I've wanted to go there for almost 20 years now.... We're planning a trip and I thought, "Hey, how about New Zealand?" We'll get there.... but looks like Indonesia this time.

YAY! ....for getting your car all cleaned out! I need to do that. We had some horrible mudslides over the holidays, and the roads are still, well, dusty now, so it needs to be cleaned both inside and out!

This weekend I'm just catching up with laundry that piled up while I was sick, and getting some groceries for the week tomorrow. Super exciting, hu? Plan to take down my little Xmas tree, too.
  6. Senior Member
    As much as I love my country, I'm not really sure it's a great place to visit unless you have specific interests that we cater to. Like, it's great for skiers but I don't know that it's very good just as a general interest visit. That could be because I live her though.

If you come in the Summer it is a very beautiful country, particularly the South Island. I don't know, maybe I'm being silly just because it doesn't have great shopping or stunning museums. Our tourism industry is huge so there must be something here visitors love.

Ah yes, laundry and groceries - those are things my weekends often consist of. I'm sure when I was a kid I thought grown ups had the best time ever on weekends. I didn't think about all the chores, having a job etc!
  7. Travel Junkie
    Travel Junkie
    My clinical supervisor in grad school, was from New Zealand. My favorite clinical supervisor above all! But, really, in regard to travel.... I didn't even know there was great skiing there.... hmmmmm. I love to ski; that's something to consider! I have several friends who have gone to New Zealand and they all say it's just beautiful. One of my friends even named her two children after two places they visited there. You can understand why I'm so curious to get there.....

I remember when I was younger and thought people my age were so old and fuddy duddy.... I can't believe I'm here and still feel 26.

I hope your week starts out great!
  8. Senior Member
    Well, our skiing doesn't compare to say Canada or anything, but a lot of people do travel over here to ski.

Which places did your friend name her children after? (Being such a small country I should recognise the names. There aren't many places here that I haven't heard of I don't think.)

Haha yeah I still feel like I'm a teenager, not like I'm about to turn 29. I'm not sure anyone ever actually feels their age.

So you guys are planning on visiting Indonesia? That should be really great! When will that be? DB and I were planning to go to Italy when he gets back, but his deployment has been extended so now the timing won't work unfortunately. Ah well, we'll get there at some point! (and it means more time for me to save for my share. Phew)
  9. Travel Junkie
    Travel Junkie
    My friend named her son Teanu and her daughter Kaikoura. They absolutely loved both places and I think they work well as names....at least here.... I don't know how well it'd go over there. lol

Our trip is planned for summer, once he's back. I'm in the same boat you are, saving money for the trip! Part of me would like some more time to save more money because there's so much I want to do over there.... but I may have to scale it back a bit! Maybe visit fewer places. I wanted to go to Java, Sumatra, AND Bali, but the airfare is pretty outrageous with the interisland flights. I just can't justify spending 1/2 a down payment on a house for a trip.

I'm sorry your DB's deployment was extended! Yowsers! Does that mean longer than 12 months? This is my first experience with an Army bf and my first experience with deployment... so I still have a lot to learn.

That's neat.... Italy! How'd you decide on that? I'll tell you, the food's definitely delicious there! My favorite city was Florence. I know it's not at the top of everyone's list but it was my favorite. I hope you get there sooner rather than later

How did you two meet? Were you able to come visit him before he left? Has he been over there? DB and I were also LDR part-time the first half of 2010 before he deployed, but we were lucky enough not to go more than a month, I think, without seeing each other. He was so busy with trainings, we didn't see the point of me spending as much time in Hawaii as before and bothering to get a new place until he returned. So, we'll see what happens then...

For now I am near my family and in my hometown. I thought it would be easier for me while he is gone. I don't know, though, CA pretty much stresses me out (Luckily, DB understands because he lived here 'til he joined)! I miss Hawaii a lot! I've been back twice since he left, and have two more trips planned there in the Spring.... I'll admit it's different than it was the first three years I was there before meeting him. I feel the void when I am there and he is not.
  10. Senior Member
    DB is a Kiwi too and he's in the NZ army, not the US army.

It's sort of a confusing situation (aren't all military relationships?!) he 'lives' with me but has only actually been there for about 3 weeks since his stuff moved in. (I say his stuff because it usually feels more like I live with his stuff than with him.)

We met online about 18 months ago. Got to know each other and when he was next in Wellington we met properly. At the time he was living in barracks quite near my house, but he is pretty much never in Wellington because he mostly works out of other cities. We started going out at New Years and he was around for about a month. Then he left for 3 months to work from somewhere else so we were long distance. We got to see each other MOST weekends so it wasn't too bad.

When he came back to Wellington he thought he was going to be back for a while, but then about a week later was told he had to go again. Since he was paying to live in the barracks but was never actually there we decided it would make more sense for him to pay rent at my place and keep stuff there instead.

Luckily New Zealand is pretty small so even when he's been based somewhere else we've managed to see each other at least once a month, usually more.

His deployment was only supposed to be 6 months and it's been extended to 8 so not that bad really. (We don't seem to deploy for very long thankfully)

As for Italy, DB's always wanted to go there and since he'll have quite a bit of extra cash after this deployment he suggested it. He wanted to pay for me as well, but it's too much money so I said only if I could save enough to pay my own way. (Hence the slight relief that we're having to put it off for a bit)

How did you and your DB meet?

My brother spent a couple of years in Hawaii when he was younger because he's a surfer. I would love to visit there sometime. I tell DB that's where we're going for our honeymoon.

Bali would be a great place to see. It's so cheap to travel there from Australia, I always think that next time I take a trip to Australia I should add on an extra week to spend in Bali. I never actually do it though!

Aw those are both cool names. I can imagine Teanu working as a name here. Kaikoura would probably work too, although it'd get shortened to Kai I think. (Hmmm actually maybe not, Kai means food so I don't know that it would get shortened to that.) I bet the kids have to spell their names to people a lot! I hope they get to come over here one day and see the places they were named for.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast