Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Post Deployment: What to Expect?

1. Regular Member

Post Deployment: What to Expect?

Advertisements
    Good afternoon, ladies! I've read and heard a lot of stories about men coming back from deployment- there seems to be a lot of negativity. One of my best friends is in the Navy and he just came back from a 9 month deployment. He's thrilled to be back and he's happiest around our friends. But he's also dealing with a lot of issues. I am one of the few who he has talked to about them since my emotions have been a roller coaster as well, ever since my SO left for deployment. I don't want to put my friend on blast, but I see all the things he's going through and the not-so-healthy ways he's dealing with it.

I don't know how to help. I mean, can you really help someone who doesn't want it?

Have any of your men come home happy? My SO is looking forward to being back and even making plans, but should I expect the same, or similar, to what my friend is going through? He's doing much more dangerous things, if that makes a difference.
  2. Senior Member
    I'm on my first deployment with DF but its not his first one and he came back OK from his other deployments. He told me he doesn't have that much of a hard time adjusting since his job isn't in the front lines. I think it really depends on what they have seen there and how fragile their mind is as an individual. I am not sure what you can do to help him, honestly. If he is doing dangerous things, he may need professional help. As for your SO, if he is looking forward to being back and making plans he sounds like he would be fine. There still may be an adjustment period for him to get back into the routine of things.

I know its not much but here...
    Returning to Homelife After Deployment | Military.com
  3. Regular Member
    My SO is on the front lines. But it is also not his first deployment- just his first since we've started dating. I've never noticed any signs of PTSD in him before. I want to be prepared for when he comes back is all. Just in case.

My friend couldn't wait to come back either. Some of our mutual friends showed concern about something he did the other day. All I could tell them is that he's still adjusting. I feel so helpless watching someone I love so much suffer. Thank you for the link! I'll check it out ☺
  4. Senior Member
    My first SO went on one deployment, and my current SO has been deployed multiple times before we ever dated. My previous SO had more of an adjustment issue coming home, which wasn't helped by a certain civilian employer who at first wouldn't allow my SO to come back to work afterwards. I think my DF helped my former SO readjust better from the experience.

Most of the service members in my former SO's ARNG unit had a fairly uneventful readjustment, but some had some problems with sleep disturbances, anger issues.
  5. Senior Member
    I've had a lot of childhood friends, ROTC classmates, and two SOs deployed and I can truly tell you it just depends on the guy. My daddy did 20 years of constantly gone with no ill effects. One of my best friends "just did one tour" and was...how'd he put it?...."fucked in the head."
  6. Senior Member
    My DH usually comes home happy and fine. Sometimes he tends to want to be more of a homebody for a while, spending time relaxing instead of running all over the place. But emotionally he's always been fine.

There's no way to know. It just depends on the person and their individual experiences.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. Regular Member
    Now that you've mention it, my grandfather was always fine too. He'd seen, and had probably done, some terrible things when he served. I had been close with him my entire life and he had never shown signs of PTSD either. Matter of fact, he never once told me a war story (it was my grandma doing all the talking. Lol). Some say it was his way of keeping sane and putting it behind him. The grandpa I knew was always happy, positive and loving. *Omg, tearing up at work!* I hope my SO comes back the same. I feel so much better! Thank you for your input, girls!
  8. Regular Member
    My DB came home okay. He is infantry and still today, although much better, he is jumpy. He also has night terrors but those are also improving. Overall, his mood when arriving home was good. We went camping that first weekend and I think he enjoyed being on our own instead of around a bunch of people and noises.