Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: lens help

1. Senior Member

lens help

Advertisements
    I'm newer to photography and need some help with a lens. My local camera shop gave me two complelty opposite opinions. I will be taking a trip to the mountains. I love landscape photography but also have two kids. Eventually I want to invest in more lenses, but I'm not sure how soon I'll be able too.

So my question is, what are your thoughts on an all in one such as an 18-200, 18-300 vs specific purpose lens. If you recommend a specific purpose lens, what would you recommend for the mountains? I have a Nikon d3100, if that matters. Thanks for any advice.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace." Tom Ziglar.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I think you should start with a zoom lens as opposed to a fixed focal length lens.
    I think it is easier for a "beginner" to use, because you don't have to worry about carrying all the "right" lenses, and switching them, etc. It will also let you practice with the camera, using the different features, practicing with exposure,depth of field etc. If you get a close up/portrait lens, you are stuck with just that. And with the price of decent lenses, you could end up carrying a bag with thousands of dollars in lenses in it, not to mention the size and weight the bag would be.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Love never fails. ♥
    Love never fails. ♥

I would go with either the 18-200 or 18-300, you can take photos of a lot of things with either of those. I think those are great for a beginner. I have an 18-55, a 50 mm fixed and a macro that are always in my camera bag.

4. Senior Member
    what they said. 18-200/300 will allow you to have a normal range of view, and be able to zoom in. Something like a fixed 40 mm lens will be a tight range of view...consider it like a horse's view with blinders on. It doesn't seem like something you wouldn't want, but generally for landscapes it would be too tight and you wouldn't get as much of the expansive view.
  5. Senior Member
    Thanks everyone!
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace." Tom Ziglar.