Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Newbie to photography

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Newbie to photography

Advertisements
    I really want to get into photography mostly just for my family and close friends. I want to get a nice camera (not a regular digital one) what ones do you recommend? Should I take classes?
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by veggiemomma View Post
    I really want to get into photography mostly just for my family and close friends. I want to get a nice camera (not a regular digital one) what ones do you recommend? Should I take classes?
    If you plan on trying to go professional than yes take classes. Camera doesn't really matter as long as it isn't a point and shoot. Any brand with changeable lenses is fine as it isn't the camera that matters but your ability, talent, skill, knowledge etc that count.

But if you are just wanting to take pictures of your family than really anything is fine.
  3. my kitchen is for dancing
    my kitchen is for dancing
    Quote Originally Posted by veggiemomma View Post
    I asked a while back the same question
    I ended up buying a Nikon D3200 just because we got an amazing deal at best buy with 2 lenses. I went in with the thoughts to get the Nikon D3100.
    I had a Canon in my hand and since I have very small hands the Canon felt to big for me.
    Also after reading a lot I think the Nikon is better.
    I dont know how much you wanna spend but I think the Nikon D3200 is a good start. I payed for the camera plus the 2 lenses $449
    Getting used to the new lifestyle far away from home and leaving my fear behind each day a little more.
  4. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Both Nikon's and Canon's are very good. It really all becomes about personal preference. I've owned both a Nikon (I had the D2300) and a Canon and I prefer my Canon hands down (I have a Canon Rebel T2i).

5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Taking classes to help with a hobby is never going to be a bad idea.

Cameras are all a matter of personal preference. I went and looked at the Canon Rebel series and the Nikons. I ended up getting the Nikon D5200 and it was just because it was what felt natural to me. Go somewhere that has experienced photographers to answer your questions and will let you handle the camera with different lenses on it to get a feel for how it is in your hands.
  6. Regular Member
    I love my Canon Rebel, but as others have said, I've always heard that between Canon and Nikon it's just a matter of preference . . . a DSLR camera will take better pictures "out of the box" than the average point-and-shoot, but in order to make the most of your camera, it's good to take a class. You may be able to find some free tutorials online to learn the basics.
  7. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    The majority of portrait photographers I know are self-taught. I'm self-taught. I spent a lot of time reading and studying the art and science of making a good photograph. I learned on a high end P&S then moved on to a Nikon D50 and D90 before getting a high end P&S Leica and primarily using that.
    Pax, Aeon
  8. Senior Member

I use a canon rebel and love it (though DH has a newer rebel, and his is soooo nice )
    The first camera I ever used was my mom's old canon 35mm camera, after that a canon point and shoot, then the canon DSLR. I don't know of a real reason why canon is better than Nikon, they're both great. It really is just personal preference.

Look on Pinterest, there are tons of pins with tips and tricks for the best settings to use in different situations.

9. Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!
    Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!

Like everyone has said picking a camera is a personal thing. When I started, everyone was telling me to get a Canon because they are best, blah blah blah. However, when I went to look at cameras, the Canon wasn't me -- it didn't feel comfortable in my hand, I didn't feel right holding it, etc. When I picked up the Nikon, everything felt right. It felt like it was made for me.

Classes never hurt (unless the person teaching them doesn't know anything ). But I would also read the manual of your camera and I would start googling different things you want to try (like Bokeh, etc). It also doesn't hurt to have a bookmark folder of different "cheat sheets" for manual mode, Aperture mode, shutter mode, distance, etc.

Also look at joining photography related forums/sites to get information. I was a member of Rock the Shot for the longest time and it was awesome -- they have free downloads for members once a month, photographers come in and do a Q&A with members, classes, etc. It's 50$ a year, but it's worth it for having access to the forum, the downloads, the Q&A sessions, etc. You do have to pay for the other classes they put on, but everyone on the forum is wonderful and helpful. Digital Photography School is a good site as well.

If I were you, I would figure out exactly what type of photography you love the most and start learning the most about that if you can. For me, I greatly dislike (on the verge of HATING) portrait work (family sessions, newborns, etc). It's just not something I'm passionate about it. I was a work study for my last year of college doing sports photography and I loved it and doing that renewed my passion for sports photography. I went to a number of local shows that were either free or cheap to test out different things about concert photography to see if I wanted to do it, and I fell in love with it.