Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Good entry level DSLR??

1. I am a proud chihuahua momma!
    I am a proud chihuahua momma!

Question Good entry level DSLR??

Advertisements
    I really want to start focusing more on my photography and learn as much as possible now that my DH surprised me with Adobe Photoshop Elements & Premiere 11 for Christmas so I am looking into saving up for a DSLR camera. Right now I have a "compact megazoom" as they call it which can go either full manual or more point and shoot style and I also have some of my grandfather's equipment that I got after he passed away. I recently got his old Canon Rebel Ti working, just need some film. So anyway, my question is what is a good entry level DSLR camera? I want something that is user friendly but it more powerful than my compact camera now. Any suggestions???
  2. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    I've been stairing down the canon rebel t3! it seems like a great starter camera and I love canons. Last I checked amazon had it for $399 which is $50-$100 cheaper then most places
    It's got a 5 star review too
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

3. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Quote Originally Posted by Boobie*Feeder View Post
    I've been stairing down the canon rebel t3! it seems like a great starter camera and I love canons. Last I checked amazon had it for $399 which is $50-$100 cheaper then most places
    It's got a 5 star review too
    ^ The lower level Canon DSLR's are GREAT beginner cameras!

4. Senior Member
    Im a nikon person, and i have the D40 which was a beginner. I should have waited and gotten the D90 since i outgrew the D40 fast. My best advice is to go play with all the camera's so you can figure out which brand you like the best. QVC has the Canon Rebel T3 for a great deal, and it comes with 2 lenses. Canon EOS Rebel T3 DSLR Camera with 2 Lenses and 4GB SD Card

5. Senior Member
    Watch QVC for canon dslrs. I work there and we had a today's special value a month or two ago that was the t3i with two lenses and a bunch of other crap for like $600, and it was on easy pay. I was so tempted to buy it but I really don't need it lol.

I have a Nikon d40 but I regret not getting a canon. A lot of my friends have them and I really prefer the look of the photos. No idea which is more or less user friendly though.
  6. i request the highest of fives!
    i request the highest of fives!
    def the rebel t3. watch ebays daily deals. i got mine there for 350ish. bangin.
  7. I am a proud chihuahua momma!
    I am a proud chihuahua momma!
    Quote Originally Posted by SubmarineWife View Post
    Im a nikon person, and i have the D40 which was a beginner. I should have waited and gotten the D90 since i outgrew the D40 fast. My best advice is to go play with all the camera's so you can figure out which brand you like the best. QVC has the Canon Rebel T3 for a great deal, and it comes with 2 lenses. Canon EOS Rebel T3 DSLR Camera with 2 Lenses and 4GB SD Card
    That is awesome they have it on QVC with easy pay!
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I always recommend people look into Pentax cameras. They are not advertised as much but the entry level versions are ranked higher than canon and nikon in a lot of respects and they have a lot of older manual lens options. I personally have used a canon and a sony and much prefer the pentax.
  9. Regular Member
    Kind of late on this but maybe it can help anyone else that reads this thread, but I've had/played with both Canon and Nikon, and personally prefer the layout of Nikon. The problem with both is that they pick and choose features on each camera so cameras in the same "series" so to speak will have a lot of differences. So be sure you go over ALL of the specs thoroughly and decide which features you REALLY want and which ones you can do without. Sometimes it's big differences like very key features being left out, and sometimes it's stuff that people using that level of camera wouldn't need anyway. So find what you want in a camera (like me, I like the option of live view) and go from there.

On a side note, I got a Fujifilm HS25 EXR for a point and shoot and I'm really tempted to play with more of their cameras. Canon and Nikon are the top brands, but there are a lot of really close second and thirds at lower costs that you may want to check out. Especially as a beginner, and then buy a Canon/Nikon mid-level DSLR when you're ready.