Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Scanner guidance, please!

1. Senior Member

Question Scanner guidance, please!

Advertisements
    We have a Canon All-In-One printer/copier/scanner. I have used the scanner one time, and it didn't like me. I have no idea how to resize things, and my attempt to upload a wallet-size pic didn't go so well. Does anyone have any tips/tricks/general guidance on how to use an average scanner?

I put it here, since my interest is related to uploading pictures.
  2. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    LOL! I just do it trial and error style. Scan....print....scan....print.....scan......print....YAY!
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    LOL! I just do it trial and error style. Scan....print....scan....print.....scan......print....YAY!
    Haha, I guess I could do that the next time I'm alone at home with nothing to do, but most days, I can't get the combo of time/patience to work with me.
  4. Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    Exactly how I do it
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I know this is an old thread, but I think I have input that might help.

I scan and save to file, (it saves in scans under documents) I then right click, and copy it at least twice, (so I always keep my original) then I open that photo in one of my editing photo, like photo impression or Roxio to crop or change. Or paint to resize for posting or even printing. If I like all the changes, I may print one to be sure, and then save. So, then I have my first scanned original and my edited copy to print as I want.

It's very expensive to scan, print, scan, print when it comes to photos. I learned a long time ago not to do that. I may print one and find I want to edit something else or it's not really what I wanted. But, to scan and print, scan and print ... No way. HTH.

Always leave your original scanned image intact and right click, copy as many times as you need.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kensington View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I think I have input that might help.

I scan and save to file, (it saves in scans under documents) I then right click, and copy it at least twice, (so I always keep my original) then I open that photo in one of my editing photo, like photo impression or Roxio to crop or change. Or paint to resize for posting or even printing. If I like all the changes, I may print one to be sure, and then save. So, then I have my first scanned original and my edited copy to print as I want.

It's very expensive to scan, print, scan, print when it comes to photos. I learned a long time ago not to do that. I may print one and find I want to edit something else or it's not really what I wanted. But, to scan and print, scan and print ... No way. HTH.

Always leave your original scanned image intact and right click, copy as many times as you need.
    Thank you, but I am wanting to take prints and make jpeg files of them for uploading to online photo albums. Particularly smaller size, and blow them up to a larger size. I tried with a wallet size, but it came up very small.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by NocturneSiren View Post
    Thank you, but I am wanting to take prints and make jpeg files of them for uploading to online photo albums. Particularly smaller size, and blow them up to a larger size. I tried with a wallet size, but it came up very small.
    That is what I was explaining, it will scan the original size... and then you copy it, open it in Paint, resize it, save it, then you can upload it. I've done it many many times.

I'm a scrapbooker, I print most of my own photos, do my own editing etc. It's my experience in working with photos, you have much more success when scanning larger print and making them smaller for printing or using this way, than using a small print like a wallet and making it bigger. It's the same thing with digi-scrap. Which is what you are doing.

About the best size you can hope for from a wallet, is a 5x7. But, scanning an 8x10 and you can make it about any size without distortion.

ALSO... when you scan and save, it saves to scans in documents, but it is a jpeg when you open it. It saves it as a jpeg, in scans under documents.