Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: For those who make a living in Photography

1. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin

For those who make a living in Photography

Advertisements
    Did you get a degree in it or did you just get into the business through your love and skills? If the latter, how did you get started. I was attending AI of Pittsburgh but I've decided that it's not working for me so I've decided to withdraw for now. I may go back when I can go to an actual school and have hands on instruction. I really want to make a living out of my work but I guess I lack the confidence to do so at this point. Any advice from you ladies that have gotten started?

TIA

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  2. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    I'm curious, why wasn't it working for you?

The photogs in the circles I run in learned the trade on their own. Actually, I don't know a single photographer that went to school for photography. At least no portrait photographers.

I don't ever plan to get into the portrait business. I realized during the portfolio building process a few years ago that it really wasn't "me." So I focused on shooting what I love and sold images/prints. I'm the type that likes to be alone and do my own thing. With little ones I've had to put it on hold.

What genre of photography do you want to make a living in? I think that's the important thing. It really depends on what you want to do.
    Pax, Aeon
  3. Senior Member
    Well obviously dh isn't making a living at it since he is still active duty, but it is our end goal.

He did do a course where he got a diploma and he plans to go to school but that might not be 100% for photography it might be fine art and business.

I don't think one has to go unless they really just are unsure of everything involved with photography and feel they need to professional guidance to learn what they need to know. Dh's goal is fashion photography when he is ready to do that full time. He is not interested in dealing with kids, weddings or families...at least not those from strangers. lol.

Anyways, my advice is just get out there. Start shooting, start building a portfolio. Learn the ins and outs of your camera as if it was your husbands body (sorry couldn't come up with anything better). Learn what settings work better for what environment and atmosphere. If you want to work with people in any genre start offering to do stuff for friends and family. Ask them to pass your name along when they know someone that needs something done. Once you start doing stuff, people will be like oh yeah so and so did this for us and we loved it, see what she can do for you. And of course some free stuff will need to be done to get it started but than you say hey if you mention me to people keep the free part on the down low.

Make sure that your work is something you will be proud of and even if you have to do what they want, your vision is still represented and you won't ever be ashamed to claim the work.
  4. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post
    Well obviously dh isn't making a living at it since he is still active duty, but it is our end goal.

He did do a course where he got a diploma and he plans to go to school but that might not be 100% for photography it might be fine art and business.

I don't think one has to go unless they really just are unsure of everything involved with photography and feel they need to professional guidance to learn what they need to know. Dh's goal is fashion photography when he is ready to do that full time. He is not interested in dealing with kids, weddings or families...at least not those from strangers. lol.

Anyways, my advice is just get out there. Start shooting, start building a portfolio. Learn the ins and outs of your camera as if it was your husbands body (sorry couldn't come up with anything better). Learn what settings work better for what environment and atmosphere. If you want to work with people in any genre start offering to do stuff for friends and family. Ask them to pass your name along when they know someone that needs something done. Once you start doing stuff, people will be like oh yeah so and so did this for us and we loved it, see what she can do for you. And of course some free stuff will need to be done to get it started but than you say hey if you mention me to people keep the free part on the down low.

Make sure that your work is something you will be proud of and even if you have to do what they want, your vision is still represented and you won't ever be ashamed to claim the work.
    Glad I'm not the only one. Just because I have kids doesn't mean I want to shoot other people's kids. I barely have the patience to deal with mine. I have considered birth photography in the future. But really, portrait photographers are a dime a dozen in most major/large cities.

OP, I don't think there's anything that you can't learn yourself. I'm purely self-taught. I learned the basics first, the science-y part of it, and then worked on the rest later. It is very strange for me to work in any other mode but manual, and I only shoot in RAW format.
    Pax, Aeon
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespertina View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one. Just because I have kids doesn't mean I want to shoot other people's kids. I barely have the patience to deal with mine. I have considered birth photography in the future. But really, portrait photographers are a dime a dozen in most major/large cities.

OP, I don't think there's anything that you can't learn yourself. I'm purely self-taught. I learned the basics first, the science-y part of it, and then worked on the rest later. It is very strange for me to work in any other mode but manual, and I only shoot in RAW format.
    Oh yeah, hubby is the same way (the bolded). I mean special friends and of course family naturally he will do their kids/families but random people no, that is not what he wants a part of.

Yeah he shoots only raw also...I always have to check my camera because he will take it sometimes and not switch it back.
  6. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post

Thanks Southern! I just saw your response. I've already had people ask me to shoot them and events and I know I have skills, I just lack that confidence to sell my work. I'll get there!

I definitely prefer landscape and macro work BUT the money is elsewhere so I may try to do both. I'm pretty good at event work but if I have to be one on one with people and have to put them in poses, not so much. I've worked with a local photographer and she makes it look so easy. Her work is just amazing. I did a workshop with kids and I got some great shots but I hate having to figure out where to put them, etc.

Thanks again.

~Tilly Therber
  7. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    The school was sucking the life out of me and the joy out of my camera. I feel I've learned some good stuff but I think I would learn more if I was in a classroom with an instructor. I have learned most about my camera from myself. I do shoot strictly manual and in Raw. I've sold some of my work but I just don't feel read to make a living at it. I'll get there eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespertina View Post
    I'm curious, why wasn't it working for you?

The photogs in the circles I run in learned the trade on their own. Actually, I don't know a single photographer that went to school for photography. At least no portrait photographers.

I don't ever plan to get into the portrait business. I realized during the portfolio building process a few years ago that it really wasn't "me." So I focused on shooting what I love and sold images/prints. I'm the type that likes to be alone and do my own thing. With little ones I've had to put it on hold.

What genre of photography do you want to make a living in? I think that's the important thing. It really depends on what you want to do.

~Tilly Therber