Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Prime Lens

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Help Prime Lens

Advertisements
    At my photography class today the instructor suggested a prime lense, that he thought I would really like.

Any reviews on these? I don't know anything about them I'm googling them now
    Last edited by settles; 11-21-2009 at 12:13 AM. Reason: TYPO! :/
  2. If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
    A prime lens has a fixed focal length - i.e. it doesn't zoom. Most people believe these lenses can create sharper images because of their fixed focal length. In fact, many people swear by primes. I own two primes - a Nikon 50mm 1.8 and a Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro. Primes require the photographer to be more willing to move around while shooting because of your inability to zoom in and out. I love my primes. The bokeh and sharpness are beautiful.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by ComCamWife View Post
    A prime lens has a fixed focal length - i.e. it doesn't zoom. Most people believe these lenses can create sharper images because of their fixed focal length. In fact, many people swear by primes. I own two primes - a Nikon 50mm 1.8 and a Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro. Primes require the photographer to be more willing to move around while shooting because of your inability to zoom in and out. I love my primes. The bokeh and sharpness are beautiful.
    Do you know exactly which nikon 50mm you have?
    im looking at this one:http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nikon+-+...ustomerreviews
  4. If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
    That's the one I have. It's a bit cheaper here: Nikon | Normal AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Autofocus Lens | 2137 | B&H

And they have free shipping on it.

There are many great primes to choose from. The 50mm 1.8 is a STEAL at that price. Another photog favorite is the Nikkor 85mm 2.8, but it's pretty expensive. Third party lenses are also something to consider, but do a LOT of research on those first before purchasing one! I have Tamron and Sigma lenses. The Tamron is great, but the Sigma is pretty soft when it's wide open. Third party lenses, of course, are cheaper for a reason, and simply won't be of the same quality as a Nikkor. Only you can decide whether the difference in quality is that big of a deal to you. When I was updating my gear, I leapt for the D700, which was a very, VERY big purchase. I still wanted to update lenses as well, but the ones I wanted would have been absurdly expensive (particularly after purchasing the D700) and so I opted for the Sigma and Tamron versions of the 24-70 2.8 HSM and 90mm 2.8 Macro. If I can afford it and feel comfortable doing so, however, I will try to stick to Nikkor lenses in the future.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by ComCamWife View Post
    That's the one I have. It's a bit cheaper here: Nikon | Normal AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Autofocus Lens | 2137 | B&H

And they have free shipping on it.

There are many great primes to choose from. The 50mm 1.8 is a STEAL at that price. Another photog favorite is the Nikkor 85mm 2.8, but it's pretty expensive. Third party lenses are also something to consider, but do a LOT of research on those first before purchasing one! I have Tamron and Sigma lenses. The Tamron is great, but the Sigma is pretty soft when it's wide open. Third party lenses, of course, are cheaper for a reason, and simply won't be of the same quality as a Nikkor. Only you can decide whether the difference in quality is that big of a deal to you.
    Thanks for your help!! I can't wait to get it!!
  6. Senior Member
    I can't help on the Nikon side of things. But I can say it's really strange getting used to shooting with a prime lens after using zooms. I have a Canon 50mm 1.4 and it's an amazing lens. It just takes some getting used to.