Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: For those who are in the know with cameras!

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries

For those who are in the know with cameras!

Advertisements
    I write stories and take accompanying pictures for a small (SMALL. 8 pages.) newspaper. When I took the contracting job 4 months ago, my editor said my Casio 6.0 Megapixel camera would work fine (it's just a point and shoot).

I just got an email today saying that the graphics guys need a higher resolution on the pictures I'm taking or they won't print them anymore.

I get paid a maximum of $15 an article for my pictures and we're moving in 3 months, not enough to justify spending a lot of money on the kind of equipment a professional photojournalist would buy.

So my question is...what would you consider a high resolution camera in a more reasonable price range?

TIA
  2. Senior Member
    see if you can change the image quality in a camera menu, like jpeg fine maybe...that is all I know as far as working with your camera. check out nikon and canon point and shoots, i mean higher megapixels will lead higher resolutions, but you can also change that in photo shop if you do it carefully
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caitylovesalex View Post
    see if you can change the image quality in a camera menu, like jpeg fine maybe...that is all I know as far as working with your camera. check out nikon and canon point and shoots, i mean higher megapixels will lead higher resolutions, but you can also change that in photo shop if you do it carefully
    Thannks for your advice! I went into my camera menu and checked to make sure the resolution was set to fine, which it was.

My boss will not give me a straight answer about whether or not I need to get a new camera, just passive hints that I am becoming a lot of trouble with my lo-res photos. I am trying to decide if I need to walk away from the job now...since I will be in a couple months anyway...or spend the money to get a new camera. Man, I don't know what to do.
  4. Senior Member
    I think it just depends on you really. Can you justify spending the money on a higher end camera? I don't even mean a DSLR but all things considered 6.0 mp is pretty low these days. I mean, you can get a 12mp point and shoot camera for under $130 these days.

Canon - PowerShot 12.1-Megapixel Digital Camera - Silver - A1100IS

If you take a lot of pictures for yourself I would say its time to upgrade. You'll be a lot happier with the quality of your photos if you do!
  5. If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
    Megapixels don't really have much to do with the quality of the photos. When I worked for Combat Camera, I was using a Nikon D100, which shoots at 6 MP. It still produced perfectly acceptable, high quality, printable photos. It's the difference between a point and shoot and a DSLR. Higher megapixels do lend to the quality of a photo, that I will not argue, but in this case...not enough to make a noticeable difference. In the point and shoot world, megapixels have become a selling point more than anything.

leiawen, at $15 per article and knowing you're moving in three months, the decision to buy a nicer camera should be based on your own personal shooting and not the photography you're doing for this small newspaper. They don't pay you enough and you're not staying there long enough to justify shelling out money even for another point and shoot camera. However, if you know this is the kind of work you'd like to continue doing, or if you feel you're a photography enthusiast, or maybe you just want something a little nicer for your own personal shooting, then I would consider a new camera.

But, this is just me personally - I wouldn't buy a new camera based on this job you're at now.
  6. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Quote Originally Posted by ComCamWife View Post
    Megapixels don't really have much to do with the quality of the photos. When I worked for Combat Camera, I was using a Nikon D100, which shoots at 6 MP. It still produced perfectly acceptable, high quality, printable photos. It's the difference between a point and shoot and a DSLR. Higher megapixels do lend to the quality of a photo, that I will not argue, but in this case...not enough to make a noticeable difference. In the point and shoot world, megapixels have become a selling point more than anything.

leiawen, at $15 per article and knowing you're moving in three months, the decision to buy a nicer camera should be based on your own personal shooting and not the photography you're doing for this small newspaper. They don't pay you enough and you're not staying there long enough to justify shelling out money even for another point and shoot camera. However, if you know this is the kind of work you'd like to continue doing, or if you feel you're a photography enthusiast, or maybe you just want something a little nicer for your own personal shooting, then I would consider a new camera.

But, this is just me personally - I wouldn't buy a new camera based on this job you're at now.
    Yep, I totally agree. The first thing I thought was don't buy a camera unless YOU want it, not for some job that only pays you a few dollars a photo.

7. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Are you looking to do the same thing when you reach your new destination? I agree with the ladies that I wouldn't invest in a better camera for that job but if you are planning to continue to do this sort of work then you might want to think about upgrading. You can find some great deals on Ebay you just have to be careful to buy from only established buyers. Also, if you have access to a military exchange, there are some great sales going on over the holiday weekend.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Thank you everyone for your advice. Wicked that was my main issue, was that I do NOT make much money with this job and just couldn't afford to get something truly professional unless they wanted to hire me on at salary.

I did some researching over the weekend and came up with a compromise that I found at the BX for $169--it's a Fuji, not a Canon or a Nikon, and it's not one of the pocket-sized cameras, but it has 10 MP resolution, 12x zoom, some excellent features to shoot sports-type action (I write some articles on sports, too) and it's easy for a beginner like me to use. So far the pictures seem to be excellent quality and I can already tell the difference from my other camera.

This is probably goiing to sound silly, but because we have moved so much since we got married and I have gone from job to job, I really want to show my current boss that I am a dedicated employee so that I have his recommendation backing me up one day. Blah. If he says these pictures aren't hi-res enough, though, then they are going to have to take this job and shove it, or buy me a DSLR.

Thanks again to all fo you for your help!