Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doggy Diets...

1. Loving My Navy Veteran
    Loving My Navy Veteran

Question Doggy Diets...

Advertisements
    How do you feel about dogs being on a diet?

Our male cattle dog is a bit to heavy and the Vet told us to put him on a diet. So, he's been on a reduced calorie diet dog food for over a year, and he's lost 6 pounds...he still needs to lose some more weight though. His food is quite expensive, and its hard to feed all the dogs a seperate food.

Jake is on the reduced calorie dog food, Jessie eats a Lamb & Rice dog food, and Jasper eats Science Diet Small Bites. Having to pay for all those seperately really sucks.

So, I guess that leads me to my next question...what do you think about the cost of dog food, or pet food in general?
  2. As life is eternal, love is immortal.
    As life is eternal, love is immortal.
    I think you pay for what you get. I don't mind spending more money of dog food if it means a better life and health for my dogs. I also don't feed diet food cause it has lower protein and higher carbs which can make them hold on to there weight instead of losing it. I just reduced the amount of food they get total a day by 2/3 do that for 2 weeks then weigh if nothing yet reduce by another 2/3 and go from there. I find this works better in the end.
    Siggy under construction!!!
  3. Loving My Navy Veteran
    Loving My Navy Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Eireann View Post
    I think you pay for what you get. I don't mind spending more money of dog food if it means a better life and health for my dogs. I also don't feed diet food cause it has lower protein and higher carbs which can make them hold on to there weight instead of losing it. I just reduced the amount of food they get total a day by 2/3 do that for 2 weeks then weigh if nothing yet reduce by another 2/3 and go from there. I find this works better in the end.
    I agree. We pay alot for our dog food, I refuse to buy cheap food. I've been thinking about switching him back to a regular dog food and just cutting down on the amount, but even now, he only gets fed once a day, and by the evening he acts like he is starving.
  4. As life is eternal, love is immortal.
    As life is eternal, love is immortal.
    How about split it into 2 small meals a day. That why by evening he won't be so upset. Good luck girl
    Siggy under construction!!!
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

diet food...i'm more of an eat less, move more type.

that's what i did when i got my chubby lab. my other lab keeps in pretty good condition & i just keep an eye on her intake vs activity level.
  6. Loving My Navy Veteran
    Loving My Navy Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by rcwant2be View Post
    diet food...i'm more of an eat less, move more type.

that's what i did when i got my chubby lab. my other lab keeps in pretty good condition & i just keep an eye on her intake vs activity level.
    I've started walking him daily, usually 2-3 times per day, and we have a huge backyard that our dogs get to run around in as well. I'm hoping that with the added daily walking, that his weight loss will continue to improve.

I'm thinking I'll just switch him over to the Lamb & Rice food that our female cattle dog eats, and then just reduce the amount he eats. I also like the idea of feeding him 2 small meals per day, instead of just feeding him once in the morning.
  7. ...
    My Maggie get a few cups of food in the morning, an cookies to munch on in the evening, she also has bones burried all over the back yard. When she gains weight we just do more activities with her, walking more an playing ball so she runs.

I heard they made weightloss pills for dogs...sad
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    We pay 53 bucks each for both bags of the food that we use...

My dogs get a cup in the morning and a cup in the evening.

The higher the quality of food the less you feed....
    Are you scrappy enough for me
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    My cat is fat, eats only the cheap stuff, and is 17. At that age, If he wants to eat and be fat, thats his choice. I won't put him on a diet.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  10. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Eireann View Post
    ITA on both points! I believe in weight control by using smart nutrition, not simply buying a "light" or "diet" packaged food.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast