Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: New Dog Food...

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

New Dog Food...

Advertisements
    We were at our store today and I found a new food...Its called EVO and its made by Innova people. It is supposed to be for the people that dont feed raw, but its the closest you can get...

Since most of the people we know and such mix their dog foods, we will be mixing our Orijien with EVO.

They told us that the one we are feeding is a little bit better than the other but mixing would work!

WOOHOO LOL

Yes my DH and I are dorks!
    Are you scrappy enough for me
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    no, you're not dorks!

i'm currently trying to decide what to do about food. pedigree isn't a *bad* dog food. it's what we've been feeding buddy for a couple years now and have never had any problems. and it says it's for all breeds...so...do i start feeding the dane the pedigree, do i buy them seperate foods...can buddy eat what she's going to eat if it's not pedigree? ugh!

If you save one dog you won't change the world--but surely the world will change for that one dog.
    "Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog." -Franklin P. Jones
  3. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    I would love to feed raw, but with three kids, that would break the bank... right now I settle for Iams weight control. Both dogs get it because if I get two foods, they will just eat both.. Kenzy has to have less fat since she is prone to pancreatitis and Oreo well she can stand to lose a few pounds. if we had more money i would get them something really good, like EVO but they will have to live with what they get.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

4. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketswife View Post
    no, you're not dorks!

i'm currently trying to decide what to do about food. pedigree isn't a *bad* dog food. it's what we've been feeding buddy for a couple years now and have never had any problems. and it says it's for all breeds...so...do i start feeding the dane the pedigree, do i buy them seperate foods...can buddy eat what she's going to eat if it's not pedigree? ugh!
    I would ask what she is currently eating and either ask for some from them or get a small bag (if it is not what you intend to continue feeding her) so that whatever food you opt to use with her permanently you can transition her system to it gradually. As for which food to feed - that is, of course, completely up to you. While Pedigree isn't a "bad" food it really isn't a great food either. If you choose to feed something different I would just put them both on the new food to make life easier for you. If you transition them properly (mixing the old and new food, increasing the amount of new gradually until it is all they are getting) Buddy should have no issue with the change and either should Gwen.
    Are you new to danes? Only asking in case you aren't aware of the specific concerns with danes and some other breeds - specifically bloat.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePeekingDuck View Post
    I would ask what she is currently eating and either ask for some from them or get a small bag (if it is not what you intend to continue feeding her) so that whatever food you opt to use with her permanently you can transition her system to it gradually. As for which food to feed - that is, of course, completely up to you. While Pedigree isn't a "bad" food it really isn't a great food either. If you choose to feed something different I would just put them both on the new food to make life easier for you. If you transition them properly (mixing the old and new food, increasing the amount of new gradually until it is all they are getting) Buddy should have no issue with the change and either should Gwen.
    Are you new to danes? Only asking in case you aren't aware of the specific concerns with danes and some other breeds - specifically bloat.

yes, we are new to owning a dane, however i'm fully aware of bloat and other type issues they might have. we've already got her raised feeder set up to help avoid bloat, as well as knowing there will be no intense exersise an hour before or after she eats, and the foster mom is giving us her left over food so we can mix it into whatever we feel we want to feed her. i haven't quite decided yet what i'm going to go with. i just wondered if i could switch them both to a different food because gwen probably needs more protein and the like than buddy would need. he is a 5 years older, and a lot smaller, so i just don't know.

If you save one dog you won't change the world--but surely the world will change for that one dog.
    "Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog." -Franklin P. Jones
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Like where we go, we use a natural pet store...they sell only foods that you cant buy at chain pet stores...

But since they might have seperate needs you just need to watch them when you feed them.

Rose...Thats why I am liking the EVO...I dont think I could feed raw just because it would make me sick LOL So when it said it was the closest thing to it we had to try it. My husband mixed some with their regular food last night and they scarfed it down!
    Are you scrappy enough for me
  7. Banned
    Banned
    I hope I didn't offend you by asking....I certainly meant no offense. Something to consider, Linda Arndt ("The Great Dane Lady") has some very good information and recommendations regarding dane nutrition.
    http://www.greatdanelady.com/
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePeekingDuck View Post
    I hope I didn't offend you by asking....I certainly meant no offense. Something to consider, Linda Arndt ("The Great Dane Lady") has some very good information and recommendations regarding dane nutrition.
    http://www.greatdanelady.com/
    oh no, no offense taken. i know, we got asked several times if we knew exactly what a dane entails. they wouldn't have even considered us for her if they didn't think we were right. we're so excited!