Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Puppy troubles

1. Senior Member

Puppy troubles

Advertisements
    I have this puppy. And well each time I go to pick the pup up she walks/runs away. As if its a game! I don't know what to do to break her of this habit?
    Any Ideas?

TIA
    Patty
  2. everlong11
    Puppies take a lot of patience, and a lot of repetition- try using toys to lure her over and pet her to show her it's all right. Maybe some treats/milk bones. Pet her a lot and try picking her up while petting her maybe? It will take time and lots of consistency on your part as far as training her not to run/walk away. Good luck!!

What kind of dog is she? :o)
  3. Senior Member
    Thanks Lindsay. I do the bribing but as soon as I get her near and go to pet or pick her up she runs and acts silly trying to make me play with her(when all I want is cuddle time )
    She is a welsh corgi

patty
  4. As life is eternal, love is immortal.
    As life is eternal, love is immortal.
    I would offer her a treat and when she takes it pick her up say good girl and give her another. That way she'll look at it as something postive.
    Siggy under construction!!!
  5. Senior Member
    You could also get one of the long training leads, clip her to it and tie it around your waist. Then she learns to stick close by with the added bonus of you being able to keep an eye on her so she doesn't go potty on the floor. LOL. Good luck.
  6. Senior Member
    My puppy still does that sometimes. If he doesn't want to get picked up he will not let you do it. I think it'll just take some time for him to get comfy with you...the treat suggestions were a good idea!

7. Senior Member
    Thanks ladies
    She is actually already potty trained Was about the 2nd day we got her(thank goodness) Now just getting past her running when I want to pet her.

I had a duh moment never thought of puppy treats. I also bought a harness I figured I could use with the leash She loved it on our walk today.

Thank you all for your help, I'll update and let you know how it goes
    patty
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lindz524 View Post
    My puppy still does that sometimes. If he doesn't want to get picked up he will not let you do it. I think it'll just take some time for him to get comfy with you...the treat suggestions were a good idea!
    I'm glad I'm not the only one with a pup that does that