Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying with Cats?

1. The Cat Whisperer
    The Cat Whisperer

Flying with Cats?

Advertisements
    Has anyone done so?

I'm starting to get nervous about our upcoming adventure in January. (I'm a long-term worrier! )

Ideally, I'd like to bring them with me on the plane and not stow them below.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    We have only had one fly below. He caught a flight by himself from my sister's house in WA down here to CA. They gave him some tranquilizers and he did great. He had a smaller dose of tranquilizers though, because of something about it changing their body temperature... it was mainly so he wouldn't go postal...

I am fairly certain that each airline has different rules. Endo caught the red eye on Alaskan Airlines, and he needed proof of current vaccinations as well as a DR. "healthy pet" form, just saying that he was healthy and able to fly.
  3. The Cat Whisperer
    The Cat Whisperer
    Yeah, I know about the health certificate. I'm terrified that if we get to take them on board they'll yeowl and scream the entire 14 hour flight.

Of course, I'm terrified that if I stow them, something could happen and I wouldn't know.
  4. Jen
    ♥ my wify navygirl8407
    ♥ my wify navygirl8407
    Blog Entries
    I brought my dog with me from CT to Mi on the plane (she was a puppy) I put her under the seat in front of me and she was fine. She didnt even make a sound.
  5. Single and Lovin' it!
    Single and Lovin' it!
    Britt, when we leave to head west (crossing fingers) in '09, my cats will fly with my mom and val. I am already worrying about it. Does anybody else have any input?
    We wont buy, while cats and dogs die.
    Save a life...get a shelter animal.

YUM...
  6. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries

Big Grin

hey! i flew with my cat back at the begining of the month. Depending on where you are flying (we flew to Italy) you will need different things. The rabies shot cant be older than 1 year but must be older than 30 days. The health certificate has to be filled out within 10days of flying. When I got the health certificate filled out I asked the doc for tranquilizers. He said to give one about an a hour before we flew and then every 4-6 hours. Max did great. I bought one of those soft kennels from walmart and no one even noticed he was there til he started meowing. I probably could have gotten away with not paying..lol. Make sure you call the airline once you have your ticket so they can reserve your cat a spot. Delta allows one pet in first class and two in coach. That means two total in coach, I had that one missunderstood... . Make sure you also ask for the allowed dementions of the kennel. If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
  7. The Cat Whisperer
    The Cat Whisperer
    Thank you!

We have to make sure the military will put us on a pet friendly flight.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Hi

Make sure that the travel agent arranges for your cats to go as carry on right away.

Delta will only give you a maximum of 7 days advance to reserve a spot for your cats.

I got my plane tickets and reserved a spot in cabin for my 2 birds a 1 1/2 months in advance by going with a travel agent.

Then wait a couple of days and call Delta airline to confirm that your cats are on their list.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    After reading this I wanted to see what airline had what different restrictions. Well Southwest does NOT allow pets. Just to save you some time!
  10. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    yeah each airline is different. I know one of the carriers only allows 2 pets per flight in cabin, and you have to pay extra for that ( i think it's delta)

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast