Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitty litter stuck in a cats paw

1. hurry up and wait....
    hurry up and wait....

Kitty litter stuck in a cats paw

Advertisements
    Hey ladies-I could use some advice.

3 weeks ago today my kitties got declawed. Over the weekend, we noticed one cat had a sore paw(all pink instead of black, with one small sore). We thought it was from her licking her paws excessively removing the glue from the surgery and decided to watch her for a few days before going to the vet. Tonight we were looking at it, and while it looks like it is healing, we found a piece of crystal kitty litter in the sore. We took the litter out and her paw is bleeding pretty bad. We've put antibiotic ointment on it, and wrapped it up really good so she can't lick it to death tonight. Is there anything more to do? We'll be checking it again in the morning and possibly taking her to the vet then. Do I need to worry? Cats are new to me, and I've never had something like this happen before nor has my DH(and he has had cats for years).
  2. Finding my own path!
    Finding my own path!
    Blog Entries
    I think you did what needs to be done tonight. You got what was causing the infection out and put the antibiotics on it so hopefully that will help. If it looks worse tomorrow then I would give the vet a call and ask them if they would prescribe some oral antibiotics or if they would like her to come in so they can check to make sure everything is out of the paw.

Good luck!! Poor Miss Stella!!!

Every Ending is Another Beginning!!!!
    "For I know the plans I have for you", Says the Lord. Jeremiah 29:11
    The cup of shite runneth over...
  3. hurry up and wait....
    hurry up and wait....
    I'm just hoping the vet on base will be available....we can't go off base right now due to vehicle problems
  4. hurry up and wait....
    hurry up and wait....
    for the other kitty ladies
  5. Senior Member
    Did they tell you to use kitty litter so soon? You should be using shredded paper for a while until all the incisions heal and the kitty gets the ok from the vet to use regular litter. Call the vet and see what they suggest you do, kitty litter is filled with all kinds of bacteria.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    you should be fine- but you should use shredded paper for a few more days-

just watch it tomorrow and if it still looks bad you will have to take her in-

Our cat stripped the glue some how and it bled like crazy- but we just applied pressure and hugged her til it stopped-
  7. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

I think you have done what you can for now, but get it checked in the morning. Good luck

8. hurry up and wait....
    hurry up and wait....
    Quote Originally Posted by USCGBoxerMom View Post
    Did they tell you to use kitty litter so soon? You should be using shredded paper for a while until all the incisions heal and the kitty gets the ok from the vet to use regular litter. Call the vet and see what they suggest you do, kitty litter is filled with all kinds of bacteria.
    We were told ten to 14 days, and we checked carefully to make sure the incisions were healed and at that point everything was fine. Her paw looks a lot better this morning. The vet on base doesn't even do the declaw, we have to go out in town and that vet is gone on vacation for another week
  9. Senior Member
    Well I would continue to use the shredded paper until that paw heals completely.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I'd go back to the shredded paper for now. Just keep an eye on it. Smell it to make sure there is no foul odor and keep it clean. If you notice any changes, swelling, bad smell, more bleeding then I would take the cat in ASAP.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast