Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Chewing

1. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.

Chewing

Advertisements
    Now I know Kenzy is still a "puppy" as she is not quite two yet.. but her chewing is really getting on my nerves. anything plastic she will chew.. she has chewed several of dd's dora toys ( much the chagrin of dd) and right now I caught her with scissors ( the plastic handles) i can't give her many treats because she is prone to pancrititis (sp) anyone have recommendations. I should clarify she can't have a lot of fat in her diet. i even had to switch her to low cal food because of the fat.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

2. Senior Member
    Make sure she has LOTS of toys to chew on that are hers. Kongs, Nyla Bones etc. When you catch her chewing on your DD's toys you need to redirect the bad behavior to a positive one by taking the toy and saying NO firmly and giving her the CORRECT toy to chew on and praising her like crazy for chewing on it.
  3. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    Quote Originally Posted by USCGBoxerMom View Post
    Make sure she has LOTS of toys to chew on that are hers. Kongs, Nyla Bones etc. When you catch her chewing on your DD's toys you need to redirect the bad behavior to a positive one by taking the toy and saying NO firmly and giving her the CORRECT toy to chew on and praising her like crazy for chewing on it.
    i guess i should also mention that because of Oreo's obsession with plastic toys ( dog toys only) and her in ability to not destroy those.. i have taken away all doggie toys entirely. ( i know my dogs have issues. ) should I only give Kenzy these toys when I can supervise? only when we go out ( when we leave the house kenzy is kennled since i know she likes to destroy all the evil paper in our house. )

I will miss you SOS...

4. Senior Member
    The Nylabone and Kongs are not going to be easily destroyed. I don't think they need to be supervised as long as you buy the appropriate size. DO NOT buy edibles or knockoffs though. Dogs have a natural instinct to chew and if they do not have the "proper" outlet they will find something else.

My dogs were chewers, shoes, socks, rugs, the walls you name it, they ate it. Now they have a little pink laundry basket full of Kongs, NylaBones and those white bones filled with stuff from the pet store. (I buy those filled once, then when I am leaving for a longer time than normal put melted chesse, peanut butter etc inside them) They have acess to their chewies all the time, and we have no issues.
  5. I love my Boys!
    I love my Boys!
    actually it depends on the dog....my mom's old english bulldog can tear up kongs in a few minutes.
  6. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    The Nylabone and Kongs are not going to be easily destroyed. I don't think they need to be supervised as long as you buy the appropriate size. DO NOT buy edibles or knockoffs though. Dogs have a natural instinct to chew and if they do not have the "proper" outlet they will find something else.

My dogs were chewers, shoes, socks, rugs, the walls you name it, they ate it. Now they have a little pink laundry basket full of Kongs, NylaBones and those white bones filled with stuff from the pet store. (I buy those filled once, then when I am leaving for a longer time than normal put melted chesse, peanut butter etc inside them) They have acess to their chewies all the time, and we have no issues.
    now because they are different sizes, should i just get the larger style kongs because Oreo can destroy the ones meant for Kenzy's size.. my other issue is aggression with treats with Oreo, she wasn't always that way but living at my mom's house has made her a tad food and toy aggressive but only with dogs.. my mom has a bigger dog and he is older and of course alpha there.. but Oreo is alpha here, so they butted heads a lot. main reason i took "treats" away was because Oreo would cause a fight if she felt Kenzy was too close to her treat. I should mention that since living in our own house things have settled way down.. I have never had dogs with so many issues as Oreo seems to have.

I will miss you SOS...

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashnbri View Post
    actually it depends on the dog....my mom's old english bulldog can tear up kongs in a few minutes.
    They have the black Kongs that are made from Tire Rubber which are not easy to destroy...m boxers can rip through a red kong like no ones business.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rosebud* View Post
    now because they are different sizes, should i just get the larger style kongs because Oreo can destroy the ones meant for Kenzy's size.. my other issue is aggression with treats with Oreo, she wasn't always that way but living at my mom's house has made her a tad food and toy aggressive but only with dogs.. my mom has a bigger dog and he is older and of course alpha there.. but Oreo is alpha here, so they butted heads a lot. main reason i took "treats" away was because Oreo would cause a fight if she felt Kenzy was too close to her treat. I should mention that since living in our own house things have settled way down.. I have never had dogs with so many issues as Oreo seems to have.
    IMO you should get the larger Kongs that both dogs can use. What kind of dogs do you have? My dogs are "power chewers" so I buy the black kongs. They come in three different sizes. I buy the largest size for them, even though they don't need it, and my 20lb dog chews them too.

What I like about the kongs is that you can stuff them with goodies. I like to take them and put natural peanut butter and dog food in them and freeze it so when I leave they have something to keep them busy. Then I just run them through the dishwasher on the top rack. Here is a great representation of the Kong products.

http://www.kongcompany.com/worlds_best.html

The Nylabones come in all sizes too. Again, I purchase the large of the sizes for the dogs. They come in all different "flavors" and they really like these bones. They kind of "shred" when they chew them and it cleans their teeth. Here are some Nylabones.

http://www.nylabone.com/products/non...durable-chews/
  9. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    IMO you should get the larger Kongs that both dogs can use. What kind of dogs do you have? My dogs are "power chewers" so I buy the black kongs. They come in three different sizes. I buy the largest size for them, even though they don't need it, and my 20lb dog chews them too.

What I like about the kongs is that you can stuff them with goodies. I like to take them and put natural peanut butter and dog food in them and freeze it so when I leave they have something to keep them busy. Then I just run them through the dishwasher on the top rack. Here is a great representation of the Kong products.

http://www.kongcompany.com/worlds_best.html

The Nylabones come in all sizes too. Again, I purchase the large of the sizes for the dogs. They come in all different "flavors" and they really like these bones. They kind of "shred" when they chew them and it cleans their teeth. Here are some Nylabones.

http://www.nylabone.com/products/non...durable-chews/
    oreo is only 35 lbs but is a major power chewer. i mean she can go through a busy bone in about 10 minutes. Kenzy is about 15-20 lbs ( depends on the day) she isn't a power chewer, she has never really destroyed a toy. thanks for the advice and for the links.. when i go to petsmart i will have to get some .

I will miss you SOS...