Thread: Iams introduces health food for pets

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Iams introduces health food for pets

Advertisements
    Iams introduces health food for pets

By LOUIS B. PARKS
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Humans take an arsenal of vitamins and nutrients as a preventive against health problems. Iams pet food is betting they might like the same for their dogs and cats.

Iams Premium Protection is the company's new line that packs a barrage of ingredients into a single food, aimed at the most common pet health problems.

Iams canine formula offers something for eight of the top 10 dog health problems including skin allergies (omega nutrients), ear infections (antioxidants), stomach upset (fiber) and urinary tract infections (a pH package). The feline formula is aimed at seven of the top 10 cat problems including urinary tract infections (low magnesium levels and animal-based protein), stomach upset (fiber) and respiratory infections (antioxidants).

At Animal Hospital of Katy, veterinarian Karen Euers likes the idea of pet food packed with supplements.

"We've tried it on our own individual pets," Euers says of the Premium Protection line. "We found the palatability to be good. It's real fresh."

"Overall, the approach is sound," says veterinarian L.D. Eckermann, who often recommends Iams products at Westbury Animal Clinic. He said the cover-the-bases approach has been popular with dogs and is being introduced for cats.

The alternative is a separate oral medication, Eckermann says.

Though it's hard to quantify the benefits of a preventive approach, he often gets good anecdotal feedback.
  2. As life is eternal, love is immortal.
    As life is eternal, love is immortal.
    I would never feed my dogs Iams. It's one of the worst dog foods out there. All you are buying is a name but not quailty. I don't care how they suger coat it, they are still shity.
    Siggy under construction!!!
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i feed my dog Iams--no problems whatsoever
  4. As life is eternal, love is immortal.
    To each there own. I feed only human grade dog food, like innova, solid gold, or wellness. No wheat, soy, grain factions, by- products,corn, or fillers. Iams using all of that.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    iams is also one of the few foods that wasn't in the HUGE food recall a few months ago, my husband and i can't afford $50 a bag for food kwim?
  6. As life is eternal, love is immortal.
    Quote Originally Posted by harrisonsdream View Post
    iams is also one of the few foods that wasn't in the HUGE food recall a few months ago, my husband and i can't afford $50 a bag for food kwim?
    Ohhh I completly understand. They are still adding more dog foods to the recall list everyday. It's sad. My postman lost his dog to it. he showed up at me house one day crying cause he's dog died earlier that night. Canidae is also excellent and the same price as Iams but human grade meat and no corn, wheat, soy, grain factions, by-products, or fillers. ( not to try to change your mind or anything just to give you a heads up) Thats what I started my dogs out on and when we finally got out of debt we moved up im dog food.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I also do not feed Iams, I feed Origin...It comes with lots of vitamins and herbs in it.

there are diets like that already they are prescription diets. I do not think its a good idea to just sell them OTC cause then its going to make people think their dogs have this or that.