Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moving and pets...so UNFAIR!!!

1. MoMo

Bang Head Moving and pets...so UNFAIR!!!

Advertisements
    My DH and I will be moving in October and we have been looking at many apts. and all of them of course have the ridiculous pet fees. The one apt. that we really really like is $250 for the first pet and $150 for the second.

I already have a Westie but I'll be getting another one soon. My question is do u think its fair that u have to pay those prices for a dog?? My dogs are like my children, and I'm sure they wouldnt charge me to bring my kids with me. I know that ppl and animals are different but I love my animals and I dont think its fair that I should have to pay $400 to bring them with me.

Does anyone else feel this way???
  2. As life is eternal, love is immortal.
    As life is eternal, love is immortal.
    The fee is in case your pet does any damage while living there. But yeah I do thinks it's unfair.
    Siggy under construction!!!
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    We had to pay that much to move into our house, do i think its fair, yes...My dogs are like my children too, but you never know what can happen, you know what i mean?

Also its a good cleaning deposit, cause whoever moves in after you may have allergies.
  4. MoMo
    I agree that its in case something happens but I've had her for 1 yr. and she has never done anything in the house...I think it's unfair that u dont get it back when u leave if there was no damage done to the apt.
  5. Senior Member
    Yes I think it's totally fair.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    You dont get it back because they have to super clean the apartment...And you never know if your dog will get really sick and you cant always get that out of carpets.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

i don't mind putting my 'money where my mouth is' so to speak when it comes to my dog. she's not gonna damage the apt, so i put down the cash. i did get screwed by my last apt tho. i had never had any problems getting my security & pet deposits fully refunded, so i didn't take pre-move in pics. the last place claimed she ruined the carpets, which she did not, sued me (per state law) & got to keep my $250 deposit, because it would have cost more to fight than to just let them have the money. i did fight them as much as i could, so they had to pay their lawyer....they prolly ended up losing $ on the deal themselves.

morale of the story...snap pre move in pics on your digital camera & move out pics too. that way there is no question.

what i hate about apt's are non refundable fees & weight restrictions. you are less likely to notice you have my big couch potato lab living in your building than a yappy little dog who gets set off by every little sound it makes. i do support breed restrictions tho. no agressive breeds.
  8. Senior Member
    at my apartment in CA, they didn't have a pet fee. instead they have a $500 pet deposit (in addition to security deposit) and they added $50 per month to your monthly rent for each pet.

my current apartment has a more affordable arrangement for pets w/just a straight pet fee on move in.

i can see where landlords are coming from on this one.
  9. MoMo
    Quote Originally Posted by rcwant2be View Post
    i don't mind putting my 'money where my mouth is' so to speak when it comes to my dog. she's not gonna damage the apt, so i put down the cash. i did get screwed by my last apt tho. i had never had any problems getting my security & pet deposits fully refunded, so i didn't take pre-move in pics. the last place claimed she ruined the carpets, which she did not, sued me (per state law) & got to keep my $250 deposit, because it would have cost more to fight than to just let them have the money. i did fight them as much as i could, so they had to pay their lawyer....they prolly ended up losing $ on the deal themselves.

morale of the story...snap pre move in pics on your digital camera & move out pics too. that way there is no question.

what i hate about apt's are non refundable fees & weight restrictions. you are less likely to notice you have my big couch potato lab living in your building than a yappy little dog who gets set off by every little sound it makes. i do support breed restrictions tho. no agressive breeds.
    Like u said I hate the weight restrictions and I dont know how it is where u live but all the places that I have been they wont refund the pet deposit.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    I wouldn't move into a place that had a nonrefundable pet deposit. Also, if you rent a house rather than an apt you have a lot more leeway.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast