Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question

1. Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Dreams come true... I am living mine

Question

Advertisements
    My baby girl Snikers was just diagnosed with heartworm. She was on prevenitive and still came back positive. I don't have a lot of money and the vet said that it was going to be costly to get her better.

Do any of you guys have experence with this or advice?
    DREAMS CAN COME TRUE
  2. Senior Member
    I have no idea sweetie, but I hope you find some way to get her better.
  3. Senior Member
    It cost quite a bit of money to treat heartworm..but it IS treatable. There are alot of stipulations to the treatment like keeping them still for a certain period, no exertion etc. The meds can make them sick, they can even kill them. See if your vet will take payments, or try Care Credit.

Did they test her BEFORE she was on preventative? Because her being positive and on preventative is dangerous.
  4. Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Quote Originally Posted by USCGBoxerMom View Post
    It cost quite a bit of money to treat heartworm..but it IS treatable. There are alot of stipulations to the treatment like keeping them still for a certain period, no exertion etc. The meds can make them sick, they can even kill them. See if your vet will take payments, or try Care Credit.

Did they test her BEFORE she was on preventative? Because her being positive and on preventative is dangerous.
    They tested her and she was negative last year. Apparently they can get heartworm while they are on the meds. It is like birthcontrol on 99% effective. My heart is breaking right now
    DREAMS CAN COME TRUE
  5. In love with a Cowboy
    In love with a Cowboy
    I wish I could help. But her is a for you!!!!!!!!!
    Retiring very soon.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by love4mysailor View Post
    They tested her and she was negative last year. Apparently they can get heartworm while they are on the meds. It is like birthcontrol on 99% effective. My heart is breaking right now
    What is she on? The one my dogs are on is 100% guaranteed or they will pay the clinical costs of treatment if the product fails and the Vet can back that up. You may want to look into that. My dogs are on Interceptor.

Novartis 100% Satisfaction Guarantee to veterinarians

We want you and your clients to be completely satisfied with the Novartis Animal Health parasiticide products that you recommend. If you or your clients are not completely satisfied with any Novartis flea or heartworm product, we will replace the product, or refund the full purchase price if the product was purchased through or on behalf of a licensed veterinary clinic.

In the case of perceived lack of efficacy, the product must be purchased from a small animal veterinarian with a valid vet-client-patient relationship and administered according to the label and prescribing instructions. When reporting a lack of efficacy the clinic must provide the following:

Baseline (-) HW test prior to starting the product
    Baseline (-) HW test and 6-7 month follow up test to rule out pre-existing infection when switching products
    Clinical and purchase history
    Purchases must be documented in the medical record
    Prescriptions must be per PET not per household

Only if all of the above are available, will our policy reimburse for diagnostic costs and costs of treatment to return the dog to negative status. It is our policy to retest for confirmation with the University of Florida Diagnostic Lab. If the veterinarian wants to use another lab for confirmation, NAHUS will reimburse the cost up to $30.00
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I use sentienal...I dont like the heartguard and frontline combo, i like everything in a pill form...

Did you happen to skip a month on accident? Cause if you did by chance then you shouldnt have given the dog the heartworm the following month. Places like VA, GA, etcetc have a huge heartworm issue.
  8. Dreams come true... I am living mine

Sad

I did not skip any months. I don't know what happened the vet told me for her to have gotten it there had to be a breeding ground for misquetos (sp?) near my house.

I contacted the SPCA this morning. Snikerdoodles will be going in next Thursday to get her blood work and x-rays done. She will then go into the vet the following Monday through Wednesday to get treated.

This is all costing me 450 dollars. I don't have that kind of money sitting around which stresses me out, but dh and I are willing to do whatever it takes to make our baby girl better.
    DREAMS CAN COME TRUE
  9. Senior Member
    You should look into the guarantee of the product she was on. You have not said which one, so I can't look it up.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I agree what product is she on?

Like Boxer Mom said, most companies have some kind of guarnetee..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast