Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: smelly cat box, I need help!

1. Senior Member

Help smelly cat box, I need help!

Advertisements
    I've never had a problem with the cat box smelling awful until recently.

I used to use cats pride clay clumping litter. I switched to the tidy cats crystals because the cats box was in my bathroom and nothing sucks more than steping out of the shower and walking into little tiny bits of sand like clay. The crystals were good for a few months. I like them. Less tracking. The container said a fresh litter box of the crystals should control odors for 4 weeks. Well after 2 1/2 to 3 weeks it smelled bad so I'd dump and refill it. It got to a point where I was dumping it every week because it smelled so bad. I switched back to the clumping clay litter so I could scoop out the stuff that smelled bad. It didn't work. I scrubbed the litter box with bleach water and replaced the filters on the top before I replaced the litter and I moved it down stairs because its nasty trying to sleep in a bedroom that smells like cat box.

It still stinks. I've been scooping it out every day. What can I do? Is there a type of litter that works better with controling odors or maybe something I can feed my cat to make his pee smell better.
  2. Lela
    I don't have that problem... I use tidy cats for multiple cats and I only have one! I also use the odor cat liners.... sometimes I throw in some of the powder odor stuff you can buy... the only time it smells is when I don't change it after like 3-4 weeks... (I am so bad about scooping!).
  3. eeyore_adw
    I think I used to use the Tidy cats clumping for multiple cats (even though I only had 1) and I'd always put some baking soda in with it.
  4. Senior Member
    I can't really help you, I'm having pretty much the same problem. I have 2 cats, I use tidy cats multiple cats and I put the odor powder in it. It has to be changed once a week because the smell gets so bad, no matter what litter I use. I've tried scoop away and 2 different kinds of fresh step, neither helped. We got a new litter box, I'm hoping that helps. It just got changed on Sunday, so I'll have to let you know how it works.
  5. loveing life <3
    loveing life <3
    Blog Entries
    hmmm some times with cats if they have had the same box for a long time the plasti will asorb the odors so you could try buying a new box for him and if the problem still persists try putting bakeing soda in with the litter and maybe put some air freshners around it
  6. Senior Member
    Try the silica litter. I used to use it and sprinkle the arm and hammer litter box stuff on the bottom of the box. You only have to change the litter once a month, just take out the poop.
    I did this with my cat. My hubby threatened that if he could smell it, he would want to get rid of the cat.
    I worked... not one little smell.
    Good luck.
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    Oscar Wilde
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    NO suggestions,I have three kitties and my guest bedroom is so stinky... Let us know if you figure it out!!
  8. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    I use Chux pads and place it in the box before I pour the litter in. I also buy additional litter crystals and add that into the box, even if the litter already has crystals...lol!
    Pouring baking soda in the litter box has also seemed to help too!
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bettyboop604 View Post
    Try the silica litter. I used to use it and sprinkle the arm and hammer litter box stuff on the bottom of the box. You only have to change the litter once a month, just take out the poop.
    I did this with my cat. My hubby threatened that if he could smell it, he would want to get rid of the cat.
    I worked... not one little smell.
    Good luck.
    The silica litter is the crystal stuff right?

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    I use Chux pads and place it in the box before I pour the litter in. I also buy additional litter crystals and add that into the box, even if the litter already has crystals...lol!
    Pouring baking soda in the litter box has also seemed to help too!
    Whats a chux pad?
  10. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Chux pads are those light blue doggy training pads.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast