Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Co-Owning a dog...

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Co-Owning a dog...

Advertisements
    Sigh, its a common thing in the show area to co-own dogs.

Our "west coast parents" have 5 aussies and one is show quality, so the breeders name is still attached to the dog.

My husband wants our show dog to come from her, but I am watching my boss go through a bunch of crap with co owning and such. I dont want to do it, but thats the only aussie he will take.

What do you guys think of it?
  2. Banned
    Banned
    I think that even under the BEST of circumstances there is a tremendous risk of issues arising. I understand the reasoning for it's popularity/commonality in the show world but there are just so many areas where it can become a problem. IF you decide to pursue it I would make sure that every possible issue you can think of (using your boss' current problems would be a good place to start) is discussed, agreed upon ahead of time and written into the contract agreement.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I agree with you...all five of their aussies come from this breeder and he wants to go on a life long waiting list.

Like the thing I dont like is my boss pays for everything, food, shows, etc etc...So i dunno if she just wants her name attached for the recognition or for the hell of it.
  4. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Comming from the dog showing world I can understand the goings on. A lot of breeders are in co-ownership with show dogs and have agreement that the dog is yours, meaning you pay for everything and get all the winnings, they just get one puppy when the dog has a litter (if it's a female), or they are able to use it at stud. My mom and I have been in many situations like this. If you are unsure of anything, get it in writing first.

5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by sandykay View Post
    Comming from the dog showing world I can understand the goings on. A lot of breeders are in co-ownership with show dogs and have agreement that the dog is yours, meaning you pay for everything and get all the winnings, they just get one puppy when the dog has a litter (if it's a female), or they are able to use it at stud. My mom and I have been in many situations like this. If you are unsure of anything, get it in writing first.
    Oh I know! We are members of the AKC club here, and my hubs is the vp...the lady we want a dog from is really great, but I am going to wait until I see her contract, and we only want a male.
    Are you scrappy enough for me
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    What is co-owning a dog??? I mean I obviously understand that it would mean the dog had 2 owners but why would someone do that?
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    A lot of breeders will want to keep their names attached to a show dog...Just so it keeps their name noticeable...Plus they will have contracts sometime about breeding and such...
  8. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    What is co-owning a dog??? I mean I obviously understand that it would mean the dog had 2 owners but why would someone do that?
    Co-owning is 2 owners yes, and is quite common, especially between family members, friends and breeders. A lot of poeple also co-own loan dogs (yes you can loan a dog to breed and show, sounds weird doesn't it). Jennygirl, are you talking Aussie terriers, silkies, shepherds or cattle dogs? There are a few Aussie breeds. I hope to get back into showing when we get to the US.

9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Shepards....
  10. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Good Luck! Hope it all works out for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast