Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My list of dogs...any feedback?

1. msdarbonne

My list of dogs...any feedback?

Advertisements
    I did a little research and wanted to know any opinions on any of the breeds. I plan on rescuing one and don't mind if its not purebred. But I was wanting one with these bloodlines.

Top 5:
    Border Terrier
    Portugese Water Dog
    Wirehaired Pointing Griffon
    Australion Terrier
    Dachsund/Pug hybrid

Others I'm looking into:
    Welsh Corgi
    Basset Hound
    Beagle
    Boxer
    Cairn Terrier
    Dachsund (I know they can be hard to potty train)
    Pug

My biggest concerns are GREAT with small children, little to no shedding, and relatively easy to potty train. If you have any others that you think are great, I'd love that!!

PS. Piper is great with animals and does not pull on them and is never rough with them. But I don't want to constantly have to watch the dog around her to make sure it doesn't nip her because it wants the ball she is playing with.
  2. msdarbonne
    No dog lovers online today?
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i beagles. i've got one right now and they are so smart, and so loyal.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    We have a boxer. I also wanted a dog that would be great with my kids and had little to no shedding. I couldn't be more happier with the dog we chose. He is so great with my kids! Another thing I also love is that he is active when we want to be active and he is lazy when we are being lazy. He potty trained super easy (but I think that doesn't really have much to do with the breed of a dog...maybe more each individual dog)...He peed in the house twice...but honestly that was our fault and not his. He is so sweet, funny, and extremely obedient....all he wants is to please us. He sleeps in a crate/cage at night. I highly reccomend crate training when you get your dog. It helped us tremendously with potty training and he actually really loves it...it is his own private space that he can go to when ever he choses. If I ever got another dog I would absolutely want another boxer.

ETA: about the ball thing....our dog knows that if someone else is reaching for a ball that he backs off....I think that is something you just need to train them to do though.
  5. Senior Member
    I absolutely adore my beagle and would get a dozen in a heart beat! She is smart, maybe a little sneaky lol I had her crate trained in 2 weeks (woot!) she sits on command, comes on command, stays on command, comes when called by her name, stops when told "no". She snuggles very well and is very healthy She has a little bit of like allergies where she does this inverted sneeze but the vet said its from when she had kennel cough untreated before we bought her. You gotta admit, shes pretty damn adorable!
  6. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    only a few breeds don't shed and they aren't on your list.. two off the top of my head is schnauzer ( terrier group) and poodles. all other dogs shed. even doxies. i have had two and they shed, their hair is just shorter and a tad less noticable than say a lab or golden.

a breed won't determine if a dog will nip at you or not. that is the dogs own personality. and how they are trained. example when i was growing up we had a mini doxie and my gma had one from the same litter as ours (they were sisters) ginger, ours never nipped at anyone even me when i was little and would be mean to her. my gma's dog was food aggressive and would nip if you petted her the wrong way. same breed same bloodline two different dogs. Best thing to do is throw your list out the window, if you are planning on rescuing. go to the local shelter and spend some time with all the dogs that catch your eye. that is the best way to find the "perfect dog".

btw i mini doxies they are my kind of dog.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    oh i also wanted to add i had a mini doxie and she turned MEAN like constantly trying to bite and whatnot, i couldn't even go in the same room as her without her charging me. some dogs shed less than others. beagles only shed seasonally (when it's hot) as do other dogs.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lckychrmzz View Post
    I absolutely adore my beagle and would get a dozen in a heart beat! She is smart, maybe a little sneaky lol I had her crate trained in 2 weeks (woot!) she sits on command, comes on command, stays on command, comes when called by her name, stops when told "no". She snuggles very well and is very healthy She has a little bit of like allergies where she does this inverted sneeze but the vet said its from when she had kennel cough untreated before we bought her. You gotta admit, shes pretty damn adorable!
    cosby has an inverted sneeze too. the vet said it was allergies
  9. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Welch Corgies shed a bunch! My folks have had two of them and it's horrible.

We have a Doxie... she was an exception to the 'hard to potty train" rule. She is very loving with my kids and seems to rotate her loyalties between the dh and I.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  10. Senior Member
    We had a Basset Hound. He was a very sweet dog, good with the kids, always wanted to be on my lap. He hated being outside alone and would bark until he was hoarse. He was constantly in the garbage and would eat anything that smelled like food, even if it wasn't. We had a hard time keeping his toenails trimmed and his ears would get infected and smell a lot. It wasn't easy treating his ears either. He had a terrible allergy to fleas so keeping them off of him was crucial. It was great for him when we moved the Central Oregon where there we didn't have fleas. His strong sense of smell would send off wherever it lead him so he was always taking off. He didn't she much as I recall. He was already house trained when we got him. He insisted on staying in the house when we were gone but never pottied in the house. He didn't chew up things either.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast