Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ferrets?

1. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    49%

Ferrets?

Advertisements
    Does anyone here have or have had ferrets? What can you tell me about them? I have been doing a lot of research, as I have always wanted it.. What's your experience?
  2. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Lv. Percent
    49.67%
    My sister had them, they are super cool pets and so much fun but, no matter how clean you keep them and their cage/habitat, they smell.

3. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Lv. Percent
    86.34%
    They smell like shit.
    But they are sooooo cute.

life's a party, rock your body
  4. Personally victimized by Regina George
    Personally victimized by Regina George
    Lv. Percent
    92.96%
    They stink but they're on the same level of cuteness as raccoons (trash pandas).
  5. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Lv. Percent
    22.83%
    DH is obsessed with them and wants one so bad but they're illegal to own in california. His friend from high school has some and they get into everything. Like, into cupboards, the walls, inside boxes, everything. They need a ton of playtime, and they can be mean if not socialized correctly. When I was a toddler one of my older cousins had some and one bit me. They don't do well with kids I think. Usually you can't have just one, they're too social and need a friend.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  6. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    97.24%
    I had two ferrets as a teen. Smelling bad isn't a problem with proper care. They do have a scent like any animal does, but they only stink when they aren't being properly cared for. Common causes are not cleaning the cage enough, not cleaning the cage properly, poor diet, bathing them too frequently, and stress. A ferrets odor gets pretty powerful when they are stressed or scared and they will start to shed fur a bit.

I think they're great pets if you have the time for them. They need a lot of attention to stay happy and I would suggest getting a pair since they can get depressed easily when they're alone. I scooped the litter boxes 2-3 times a day or any time I saw them use it. Replace the litter entirely every day or every other day since it can absorb and release the odor(their poo is HORRIBLE). There are drops you can add to their food or water that are supposed to make their waste less smelly, but I never tried it. I did a deep clean once a week where I would soak and scrub the food dishes and litter boxes, wash all their toys and bedding, and scrub down the inside of the cage. You should only bathe the ferrets themselves about once a month. If you buy them from a pet shop they will most likely already be spayed/neutered and descented, you can tell by two little dot tattoos in their ear.

They're very smart and affectionate. I taught my ferrets to come when I called their names and my male ferret knew basic tricks like sit up, roll over, spin, and lay down. They sleep a LOT and mine loved to cuddle up with me or each other when they got tired. They are the cutest little things and definitely have a lot of personality. My male was more independent and adventurous and my female was needy and playful, she liked to steal things and hide them in little piles under furniture, so be prepared for things to go missing if you leave them in ferret's reach.

The initial cost can be a lot, since there is a lot to buy, but after that they aren't all that expensive to care for. It's important to buy a high protein low grain food. The kind I bought was usually $30-40 for a bag that would last nearly two months. Buy dust-free litter(they have sensitive respiratory systems) a big bag usually lasted me several months. You can buy cage bedding, but shredded newspaper worked best for mine and made cleaning the cage out super easy. Try to get a cage without a ton of levels and shelves, the more flat areas the better. They sell multi-tier cages as ferret cages and I had one for a while, but they are pretty dangerous for ferrets.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have!
  7. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    53.88%
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    I had two ferrets as a teen. Smelling bad isn't a problem with proper care. They do have a scent like any animal does, but they only stink when they aren't being properly cared for. Common causes are not cleaning the cage enough, not cleaning the cage properly, poor diet, bathing them too frequently, and stress. A ferrets odor gets pretty powerful when they are stressed or scared and they will start to shed fur a bit.

I think they're great pets if you have the time for them. They need a lot of attention to stay happy and I would suggest getting a pair since they can get depressed easily when they're alone. I scooped the litter boxes 2-3 times a day or any time I saw them use it. Replace the litter entirely every day or every other day since it can absorb and release the odor(their poo is HORRIBLE). There are drops you can add to their food or water that are supposed to make their waste less smelly, but I never tried it. I did a deep clean once a week where I would soak and scrub the food dishes and litter boxes, wash all their toys and bedding, and scrub down the inside of the cage. You should only bathe the ferrets themselves about once a month. If you buy them from a pet shop they will most likely already be spayed/neutered and descented, you can tell by two little dot tattoos in their ear.

They're very smart and affectionate. I taught my ferrets to come when I called their names and my male ferret knew basic tricks like sit up, roll over, spin, and lay down. They sleep a LOT and mine loved to cuddle up with me or each other when they got tired. They are the cutest little things and definitely have a lot of personality. My male was more independent and adventurous and my female was needy and playful, she liked to steal things and hide them in little piles under furniture, so be prepared for things to go missing if you leave them in ferret's reach.

The initial cost can be a lot, since there is a lot to buy, but after that they aren't all that expensive to care for. It's important to buy a high protein low grain food. The kind I bought was usually $30-40 for a bag that would last nearly two months. Buy dust-free litter(they have sensitive respiratory systems) a big bag usually lasted me several months. You can buy cage bedding, but shredded newspaper worked best for mine and made cleaning the cage out super easy. Try to get a cage without a ton of levels and shelves, the more flat areas the better. They sell multi-tier cages as ferret cages and I had one for a while, but they are pretty dangerous for ferrets.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have!
    This sounds like more work than my 80 lbs dog! They look like they stink and bite. But they are cute.
  8. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    52.07%
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    They stink but they're on the same level of cuteness as raccoons (trash pandas).

Like everyone else said, they stink!!!

9. Personally victimized by Regina George
    Personally victimized by Regina George
    Lv. Percent
    92.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post

Like everyone else said, they stink!!!
    I used to think raccoons were fucking ugly trash pandas... but then I went to Korea and got to pet them in a cafe and IT CONFIRMED THAT THEY ARE TRASH PANDAS but they are cute when they take food from your hands with their grubby little hands.
  10. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    52.07%
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    I used to think raccoons were fucking ugly trash pandas... but then I went to Korea and got to pet them in a cafe and IT CONFIRMED THAT THEY ARE TRASH PANDAS but they are cute when they take food from your hands with their grubby little hands.
    I'm weird, I always thought raccoons were cute

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast