Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allergies possibly...?

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Allergies possibly...?

Advertisements
    Hello everyone! Got a question I thought I could ask you guys as the internet and google have told me about 30 different things.

My 11 month shiba inu, Kylo, has, what seems to be a rash on his tummy and groin. This all started when he got a bug bite from the summer here in Virginia ( the humidity and the mosquitos ugh )
    We decided to take him to the vet and they gave him some meds and says it may be allergies. Heís very peculiar about his fur, and tends to always lick or bite himself ( hence how he got a rash )

Does anyone have any suggestions as to creams, or any medicines I can use on his tummy before we take him back to the vet?
    Thank you in advance!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

You could try giving him a bath with a sensitive skin shampoo, sometimes that helps my VERY sensitive golden retriever’s skin issues. If that doesn’t help, or God forbid makes it worse (we have to be careful with soaps, some are fine, some are NOT), you can also try a mixture of apple cider vinegar and water (they usually sugest 1:1, but I usually do two parts water to 1 part ACV and it seems to work the same) and spray it on (or wipe it on if you don’t have a spray bottle) the effected area. Sometimes the pH on their skin gets a little off and the ACV helps to fix that. You can also use the spray Benadryl on the area.

My golden is allergic to just about everything.. he ends up with hives when he gets stung (because he tries to eat bees of course!), he sometimes has reactions to tick bites too, sometimes soaps... last year he had a tick, it wasn’t on him for more then 10 minutes, the thing was barely attached, plus he’d just gotten his flea and tick stuff so it wasn’t on there long at all! I didn’t think much of it.. fast forward a week and he’s got a hot spot from his chin (where the tick was alllllll the way down his chest almost to his legs... and it popped up literally out of nowhere! The upside was that he couldn’t lick at it because of where it was, but it took forever to heal and I didn’t sleep for a week because the only was Audie slept was in my arms with my arm turned funny because it was the only way it took the pressure off and didn’t hurt anymore. He had laid at the end of my bed and tried to sleep with his head up, and would jerk himself awake when his head moved, it was pitiful! And of course we felt terrible, I remember crying to my vet “we’re so terrible how did we let this get out of control” she finally looked at me and was like “Jenn, these things go from 0-90 in the blink of an eye, nothing you could have done would have stopped this!” It was so sad, buuut he’s all better now and his hair has grown back lol. Now he gets some Benadryl with tick bites too

I hope your baby is feeling better soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Brite View Post
    There needs to be a blowing rainbows, sunshine, butterflies, and happiness up an asshole smiley.
    ]
  3. Senior Member
    I have an 8 year old bichon who is allergic to literally everything (like grass). We eventually had to get him stronger medicine but you can give dogs antihistamines like Claritin, just check with your vet for the dose.
  4. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    No recommendations on creams or medications here, but if he tends to lick/bite everything, could you get him a cone to wear to stop it? There are plenty of soft ones available nowadays. An ex of mine had a really anxious dog that started to chew her paw when they moved to Boston because of all of the stress, so we bought her a cone and it seemed to help at least stop the compulsive licking!
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    No recommendations on creams or medications here, but if he tends to lick/bite everything, could you get him a cone to wear to stop it? There are plenty of soft ones available nowadays. An ex of mine had a really anxious dog that started to chew her paw when they moved to Boston because of all of the stress, so we bought her a cone and it seemed to help at least stop the compulsive licking!
    Another option is clothes. I totally forgot but we used to put like pajamas on my dog so he wouldn't bite/scratch. Depends on the area he is biting though.
  6. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by kt_bug View Post
    Another option is clothes. I totally forgot but we used to put like pajamas on my dog so he wouldn't bite/scratch. Depends on the area he is biting though.
    That is a way smarter solution but it's only valid if you post pictures of said dog in people clothes.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Oh yes! I meant to add this! We had would put a tshirt on my Audie dog and then we tied either scarf or a tea towel around his neck! Not only did it stop him from digging at it, but it also helped take some of the pressure off of his neck! (when his hot spot finally started to heal, the scab that he had was large and it made the saggy skin around his neck even heavier so the towel or scarf REALLLLLLY made HUGE difference, and he was finally able to put his head down and sleep because it didn't irritate him so much because the towel/scarf was already covering it!

That is a way smarter solution but it's only valid if you post pictures of said dog in people clothes.
    100% this Dogs in clothes are so freaking cute! I wonder if I can find the pictures of Audie all decked out

There needs to be a blowing rainbows, sunshine, butterflies, and happiness up an asshole smiley.
    ]
  8. Senior Member
    Sorry to disappoint but we dressed him in clothes made for dogs
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Sorry to disappoint but we dressed him in clothes made for dogs
    Well that's no fun, I'll have to find Audie in people clothes pictures now! Haha

]
  10. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Thanks everyone for the replies! It eases my mind abit to see so many things I didnít even think about

I got him a cone, and using some anti itch cream that my vet recommended. If he doesnít get any better, unfortunately heís gonna have to make a visit to his ďfavoriteĒ place (his vet) in afew days. Iím gonna get him some doggie clothes and sweaters, too! (Iíll have fun with that)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast