Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Renting a house with large dogs

1. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    92.43%

Renting a house with large dogs

Advertisements
    What has been everyone's experience in this situation? What's the most efficient way to go about finding a place when you have multiple large dogs?

Bf and I are planning to move from Florida to Idaho next year and as like everyone here knows, I have two ~70lb golden retrievers. I've found several pet friendly apartment complexes so we're not at risk of being homeless or anything but we'd both rather be in a house. I've looked on zillow, trulia, hotpads, and Craigslist and if a place is listed as pet friendly, it basically always specifies small dogs. Is it better to go through a realtor in this situation?

I'm not putting a ton of effort in right now because any house I find probably won't be available anymore by the time we move. I'm just not sure how to find places in the first place.
  2. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    8.22%
    good luck, that's what I say

I start with Zillow and apply the pet filter but you have to pay attention to each house because some say cats only, small dogs only, or whatever. I also try to find companies in the area that I know are okay with large dogs. Invitation homes is our company and they have houses around the country, so maybe they have some where you'll be looking. They allow 3 dogs, no weight limit.
  3. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    92.43%
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    good luck, that's what I say

I start with Zillow and apply the pet filter but you have to pay attention to each house because some say cats only, small dogs only, or whatever. I also try to find companies in the area that I know are okay with large dogs. Invitation homes is our company and they have houses around the country, so maybe they have some where you'll be looking. They allow 3 dogs, no weight limit.
    haha just looked, nope how did you find that company? I know Boise has park place property management which I've heard I should avoid at all costs. Do you just google property management companies..? I'm clueless lmao
  4. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Lv. Percent
    80.81%
    The issue with realtors is that they can only show you MLS listings. So if the house isn't listed as a rental through MLS, you can't see it through them. So you could be missing the bulk of options. Both times I tried using realtors, I ended up just finding a place on my own. Personally, unless a listing specifically said "NO PETS" I would still contact them and ask. You have the added bonus of large dogs, so up to you whether you want to bother emailing and asking if the listing says small dogs only. A lot of people just put those restrictions for no real reason and may be open as long as you're a good tenant, pay on time, etc. My house in Philly, the landlord never ever allowed pets before me. Let alone the fact that I have 3 dogs! I've also found that throwing more money at them helps, lol. I offered up an additional $50 per month in rent and he took it.

Regarding PM COs, yeah you can Google them. Can also look them up in the BBB. Could also ask on a city-specific message board like City-Data or Reddit!
    ~Becca~

5. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    8.22%
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    haha just looked, nope how did you find that company? I know Boise has park place property management which I've heard I should avoid at all costs. Do you just google property management companies..? I'm clueless lmao
    yeah I look up management companies by the city and check their websites for their dog policies, I generally have to do that because I have an "aggressive breed", but you shouldn't have as much trouble with goldens. Usually for houses I've seen about an 80-85 limit for a lot of companies.
  6. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    21.56%
    As much as I wanted a large breed we got a small breed just because we know we'll be moving a lot and most places only allow small dogs. It's definitely hard, but since you've found a few apartments there's less weight on your shoulders. I will say that a lot of the landlords I know say no pets, but are actually open to the right ones(friendly, non-destructive, well behaved). They usually list no pets to weed out the people with rotten animals or half a zoo. Offering to pay extra per pet and a pet deposit also reassures them that you're a responsible pet owner and will keep tgeir house safe. Craigslist and zillow can be really good places to find places with local landlords, just be aware of the scams!
  7. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    92.43%
    Quote Originally Posted by brahette View Post
    The issue with realtors is that they can only show you MLS listings. So if the house isn't listed as a rental through MLS, you can't see it through them. So you could be missing the bulk of options. Both times I tried using realtors, I ended up just finding a place on my own. Personally, unless a listing specifically said "NO PETS" I would still contact them and ask. You have the added bonus of large dogs, so up to you whether you want to bother emailing and asking if the listing says small dogs only. A lot of people just put those restrictions for no real reason and may be open as long as you're a good tenant, pay on time, etc. My house in Philly, the landlord never ever allowed pets before me. Let alone the fact that I have 3 dogs! I've also found that throwing more money at them helps, lol. I offered up an additional $50 per month in rent and he took it.

Regarding PM COs, yeah you can Google them. Can also look them up in the BBB. Could also ask on a city-specific message board like City-Data or Reddit!
    Thanks Becca! I didn't even think to ask you since you have small dogs haha. I was thinking maybe offering to resod the yard could help? That's the only actual damage I could foresee my dogs doing. They basically just lay around all day but they're like tornadoes outside.

Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    yeah I look up management companies by the city and check their websites for their dog policies, I generally have to do that because I have an "aggressive breed", but you shouldn't have as much trouble with goldens. Usually for houses I've seen about an 80-85 limit for a lot of companies.
    Yeah I'm really hoping the fact that they're goldens of all breeds will help. If not, there's always apartments
  8. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Lv. Percent
    80.81%
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Thanks Becca! I didn't even think to ask you since you have small dogs haha. I was thinking maybe offering to resod the yard could help? That's the only actual damage I could foresee my dogs doing. They basically just lay around all day but they're like tornadoes outside.

Yeah I'm really hoping the fact that they're goldens of all breeds will help. If not, there's always apartments
    That could be an option, or also just a general pet deposit (refundable!). I would def also look for places that have very little or no carpet. I HATE carpet, especially with dogs. My house in Philly only had carpet in the upstairs rooms and they were only up there to sleep so I didn't have to worry about any damage. My place now has a great laminate flooring throughout. There was one place I looked at here in DC that was brand new and absolutely gorgeous, they allowed the dogs, but they had just installed WHITE CARPET throughout the whole place. I was like yeah if I lived here I would basically be saying I'm paying to recarpet this whole thing when I move. Nope.
    ~Becca~

9. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    81.32%
    The ease of finding a house to rent to someone with large dogs really depends on the location.

In Massachusetts, finding a single family home (most had 3 different families living in them - each had their own floor) for rent was incredibly difficult, and they would either allow no pets or just 1 cat.

In North Carolina, there are tons of single family homes to choose from and almost all allow large breeds (but not aggressive breeds). In NC we used a local realtor to find a place. We told her what we wanted, price range, and that it had to allow big dogs. Most of what she sent us was listed on Zillow; but she was still very helpful in finding us a month-to-month house for rent.

10. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    78.57%
    I own rental property and I have a no pets policy. Simply because I have invested so much money on flooring, etc. However, if someone came to me and told me about their dogs and let me meet the dogs and have positive references from previous landlords, I'd consider changing my mind with extra deposit.

Are you renting now? Could your landlord now write a letter that your dogs have never caused any problems, not distructive, no noise complaint, etc? I think it would make a difference, at least to some.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast