Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the best way

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

What's the best way

Advertisements
    Of convincing my landlord to allow me to get a pet?

If you were a landlord that didn't allow pets, what could a tenant do to change your mind? Specifically a mini doxie.
  2. Senior Member
    This may not be the best for your relationship with your landlord but you can get a letter from a doctor stating that having a dog would be beneficial for your mental health if you or anyone in your house has anxiety or depression or something like that and that makes the dog an emotional support animal and they have to allow it. You can pay for letters like this from a therapist online. Not super legit but most landlords won't know that. Look up more detailed requirements. Idk if you have to register the dog specifically or anything like that.

Otherwise, probably a pet deposit, offer to pay a pet fee per month for extra wear and tear and draw up a contract staring you will pay for any damages. If you are home a lot that would probably also help because less accidents and barking.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by kt_bug View Post
    This may not be the best for your relationship with your landlord but you can get a letter from a doctor stating that having a dog would be beneficial for your mental health if you or anyone in your house has anxiety or depression or something like that and that makes the dog an emotional support animal and they have to allow it. You can pay for letters like this from a therapist online. Not super legit but most landlords won't know that.

Otherwise, probably a pet deposit, offer to pay a pet fee per month for extra wear and tear and draw up a contract staring you will pay for any damages. If you are home a lot that would probably also help because less accidents and barking.
    My doctor would never do such a thing. Plus the need for an ESA would cause issues with my job if I claimed anxiety or depression to that severity. Although I did plan on mentioning DH's upcoming deployment and how I love to be able to have a companion when he was gone
  4. Senior Member
    My parents are landlords and most of their houses are no pets or pets upon approval. Some people's pets have caused thousands of dollars in damage to the houses, so my parents look for calm, well-mannered dogs that don't seem like they'd do much. Most landlords will probably be hesitant about puppies since they will most likely have a lot of accidents in the house and chew a lot. Offer to pay a pet deposit and be okay with a pet possibly increasing your monthly rent.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    My parents are landlords and most of their houses are no pets or pets upon approval. Some people's pets have caused thousands of dollars in damage to the houses, so my parents look for calm, well-mannered dogs that don't seem like they'd do much. Most landlords will probably be hesitant about puppies since they will most likely have a lot of accidents in the house and chew a lot. Offer to pay a pet deposit and be okay with a pet possibly increasing your monthly rent.
    We're not sure if it would be a puppy or if we'd adopt one yet. Any idea if your parents would allow someone to bring in a pet after they've already moved in? We have hard wood floors everywhere except our bedroom, which has to be professionally cleaned when we move out anyways.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EverlastingLove View Post
    We're not sure if it would be a puppy or if we'd adopt one yet. Any idea if your parents would allow someone to bring in a pet after they've already moved in? We have hard wood floors everywhere except our bedroom, which has to be professionally cleaned when we move out anyways.
    A few people have actually. They had always been very responsible and took care of the house, so my parents didn't think there would be many problems. Since your house doesn't have much carpet that might help. Carpet getting ruined is the biggest reason for landlords to not want pets in the houses.
  7. Senior Member
    You might offer to replace the carpet in your bedroom when you move out. I don't think it would be that expensive to do one room.
  8. Moderator

We have rented from people who listed their property as no animals. We were approved because we offered to pay a really decent deposit, non refundable, and steam clean carpets. It wasn't a problem.

Thank you for discussing it with the landlords. We had friends whose tenants snuck in dogs and it was a nightmare.
  9. Regular Member
    My parents have two rental houses and didn't mind pets up until these one tenants in one of the homes they rented out just let their dog urinate and release it's bowels movements ALL OVER THE HOUSE. Literally, every single room (the house was all carpet) had stains on it. You walked into the house and it wreaked. There was no cleaning the carpets. My parents had to re-carpet the entire house and this was back when they took people at face value, about 10+ years ago, so they didn't run background checks. Those same people ended up having a bunch of stolen stuff in their garage. Oh my, my poor parents. It was a mess.
    So now, it's upon approval.

It depends on what kind of animal and whether it is an outside/inside or strictly one or the other, dog/cat, whatever it may be. Most the time it's not an issue, but they also do a pet deposit, that way if the pet ruins something, they use the deposit money to take care of anything that needs to be taken care of. Since that one time though, they haven't had any issues with any tenants.

Maybe tell your Landlord with your SO deploying soon you want an animal so you're not alone, as well as offer to pay a pet deposit (if that works for you) as well as offering to fix anything that said pet ruins (if that happens). Maybe see if you can do a trial run type thing, have your pet for x amount of time and let the landlord come in after whatever amount of time you agree, and see the place so he/she knows that the pet isn't ruining the place.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    We have rented from people who listed their property as no animals. We were approved because we offered to pay a really decent deposit, non refundable, and steam clean carpets. It wasn't a problem.

Thank you for discussing it with the landlords. We had friends whose tenants snuck in dogs and it was a nightmare.
    What happened to the tenants?

When we signed the lease, despite it saying no pets, we were asked if we had pets. We never inquired about it because we didn't have a pet, but now we're really hoping that was just standard on the lease. Going tomorrow to ask! Hopefully if we offer a deposit, a pet treatment on the carpet, and agree to pay for any damages they will allow it. The carpet is pretty old and stained already and needs to be replaced anyways.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast