Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Traveling with Pets

1. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    96.62%

Traveling with Pets

Advertisements
    I had planned on leaving my dog with a friend for the week that DH and I will be gone for Christmas, but a week or two ago I ended up calling the airline and informing them that I will be traveling with a pet. Everything went smoothly there, but I am worried about my dog getting scared on the flight. Have any of you ever flown with a pet in cabin? I'm trying to decided if I should go buy diapers or peepads, treats, toys, etc. Our longest flight will be less than 5 hours, so he shouldn't have to be, but he might if he gets scared. He is usually pretty quiet and calm when he is nervous, but DH is nervous that he'll bark on the plane.
  2. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    5.92%
    If he is under the cabin I'm sure he will bark, but no one can hear it. I personally will never fly with my pets under the cabin (just my personal preference). I have a friend who shows dogs and fly's with the all the time. They put them in a nice crate, with some toys and blankets because it gets COLD down there. She once told me that it is very loud and noisy so if she has a dog that is afraid of noises she will drive them. If it is a small pup you can bring them on the plane with you in a small pet carrier that can fit under your seat. Good luck!
  3. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    96.62%
    Quote Originally Posted by AdaraMarie View Post
    If he is under the cabin I'm sure he will bark, but no one can hear it. I personally will never fly with my pets under the cabin (just my personal preference). I have a friend who shows dogs and fly's with the all the time. They put them in a nice crate, with some toys and blankets because it gets COLD down there. She once told me that it is very loud and noisy so if she has a dog that is afraid of noises she will drive them. If it is a small pup you can bring them on the plane with you in a small pet carrier that can fit under your seat. Good luck!
    He will be flying in cabin. Since I have him for anxiety he is allowed to come out of the carrier and sit in my lap during the flight. He is quite small, basically a large chihuahua, but still under 12 pounds.
  4. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    30.89%
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    He will be flying in cabin. Since I have him for anxiety he is allowed to come out of the carrier and sit in my lap during the flight. He is quite small, basically a large chihuahua, but still under 12 pounds.
    Please make sure you have a letter from a mental health professional that you need to submit before your flight. Otherwise you will not be able to take the dog out of his crate.
  5. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Lv. Percent
    14.04%
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeth View Post
    Please make sure you have a letter from a mental health professional that you need to submit before your flight. Otherwise you will not be able to take the dog out of his crate.
    You typically need a letter from your doctor specifying this need, just because you say it's for anxiety doesn't make it so.

Check your airline's website for requirements regarding crate size, other info, etc. For example, here's Delta's... but it may vary by airline (there are also fees as well) - Pet Travel Options : Delta Air Lines

Edit - based on your other posts about your dog, I'd seriously rethink bringing him with you. Flying in plane(s) is a stressful situation for any dog, especially a skittish one like yours. It takes time to acclimate them to a travel crate and leaving them for extended periods of time (I really doubt you'll be able to take him out of the crate since I'm guessing you don't have a doctor's note or approval).
    ~Becca~

6. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    40.17%
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    You usually have to register your pup as an emotional support pet. Its about $80 and requires a doctors note. They will give your pup an id tag and a certificate.
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  7. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    30.89%
    They also WILL ask you to put your dog away if he's not 100% well behaved. So if your dog is skittish and fearful to begin with, I doubt he will just chill on your lap the first time on a plane. They can (and will) move your pet into the cargo area of the plane during flight if he keeps barking. I've seen it happening on a flight from LA to NYC. At least that's where I assume they moved the dog. They removed it from the seat and the passenger. They won't let your dog jap away for 5 hours and bother everyone else on the plane. So keep that in mind.

Here are the rules AA has. I bet other airlines are similar
    https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ce-animals.jsp
  8. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Lv. Percent
    14.04%
    They also WILL ask you to put your dog away if he's not 100% well behaved. So if your dog is skittish and fearful to begin with, I doubt he will just chill on your lap the first time on a plane. They can (and will) move your pet into the belly of the plane during flight if he keeps barking. I've seen it happening on a flight from LA to NYC. At least that's where I assume they moved the dog. They removed it from the seat and the passenger. They won't let your dog jap away for 5 hours and bother everyone else on the plane. So keep that in mind.

Here are the rules AA has. I bet other airlines are similar
    https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ce-animals.jsp
    I can assure you, there is no way a dog is moved to the belly of an aircraft during flight. They likely moved the dog to a more quiet area of the airplane, perhaps in one of the galleys.
    ~Becca~

9. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    30.89%
    Quote Originally Posted by brahette View Post
    I can assure you, there is no way a dog is moved to the belly of an aircraft during flight. They likely moved the dog to a more quiet area of the airplane, perhaps in one of the galleys.
    Yeah maybe. All I know is they took the carrier and moved him after about 3 hours of everyone complaining (this was a red eye flight to top it all off haha). I just assumed they had a way to take him to the cargo area because the lady had to go somewhere else to claim her dog back after the flight and not a peep was heard from the dog after they took him!
  10. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Lv. Percent
    14.04%
    Yeah maybe. All I know is they took the carrier and moved him after about 3 hours of everyone complaining (this was a red eye flight to top it all off haha). I just assumed they had a way to take him to the cargo area because the lady had to go somewhere else to claim her dog back after the flight and not a peep was heard from the dog after they took him!
    He was not moved to the belly of the plane. I work in aviation, trust me
    ~Becca~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast