Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Traveling with Pets

1. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    21.88%
    Advertisements
    Genuinely curious, how does an untrained emotional support animal help during panic attacks? Like what's helpful, what do they do? I never knew there was a difference between service animals and emotional support animals so this concept is new to me.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Lv. Percent
    62.7%
    To answer your question, put a small towel, one you won't mind throwing out if it gets soiled and pee pad in the crate. It's not just the flight time, but the hour or so from when you get to the airport.
    Bring something to let it drink water. A small collapsable bowl and empty bottle to fill at the airport. Also a leash. Some airports have doggy poop areas. Also bring some small treats.

If your dog is not used to being in that carrier, leave it near its eating area until the flight. Put some treats in it occasionally.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    95.02%
    Quote Originally Posted by CDNTrish View Post
    I don't mean to thread jack, but I don't understand how a skittish, nervous dog can serve as an emotional support dog. Do they not have to get trained? It seems counter-productive to have to worry about your dog's anxiety.
    Sadly, emotional support animals have become a joke. Certainly there are some that are legitimate and are well-trained like a service animal should be. But so many doctors just toss out notes, and people ask for them just so they can have special privileges for their pet. So plenty of ES animals are badly behaved, and may even make issues worse. There's no real oversight to the program/designation, so there's a very wide variety of situations. To answer your question, no, they don't have to be trained.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Lv. Percent
    62.7%
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Sadly, emotional support animals have become a joke. Certainly there are some that are legitimate and are well-trained like a service animal should be. But so many doctors just toss out notes, and people ask for them just so they can have special privileges for their pet. So plenty of ES animals are badly behaved, and may even make issues worse. There's no real oversight to the program/designation, so there's a very wide variety of situations. To answer your question, no, they don't have to be trained.
    Ive known people who legitimately had birds and cats, and they really are not big into training. I had one client who realized her cat changed her behavior whenever she was about to have a seizure. You cant train a cat, but the cat trained her!
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    20.74%
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    This. I didn't know how to say it nicely. It's so easy to get a note too. (I work in mental health). I really wish they'd change the rules on ES pets requiring them to at least have proper training. I do understand that they aren't as well trained as a service dog (who is expected to perform a certain task for a certain person) but they should have a K9 good citizen certification at the least IMO. I have seen an ES dog legit take a shit in the middle of a grocery store. Gross.
  6. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Lv. Percent
    16.75%
    Quote Originally Posted by irish85 View Post
    You usually have to register your pup as an emotional support pet. Its about $80 and requires a doctors note. They will give your pup an id tag and a certificate.
    This is fantastic to know. Thanks for posting
  7. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    49.04%

Cat in the air

I have but with a feline, not canine.
    I found that the family restrooms near the gates (where you have the room to yourself) was the one place she would eat, drink and get rid of the water and food due to it being about the only quiet place in the airport.
    Will your pup use a puddle pad?
    Be sure you bring your own water bowl and limit food before the flight to avoid air sickness.
    Hope he has a good flight.

[IMG][/IMG]
  8. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Lv. Percent
    68.05%
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeHappens View Post
    I have but with a feline, not canine.
    I found that the family restrooms near the gates (where you have the room to yourself) was the one place she would eat, drink and get rid of the water and food due to it being about the only quiet place in the airport.
    Will your pup use a puddle pad?
    Be sure you bring your own water bowl and limit food before the flight to avoid air sickness.
    Hope he has a good flight.

[IMG][/IMG]
    The flight probably happened by now...

life's a party, rock your body
  9. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    49.04%

My bad

Sorry, when I clicked on "new posts" I saw the post of <Today, 01:07 AM>. I didn't check the date the thread began.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123