Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Dog Food

  1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    Wild*Rose's Avatar
    Wild*Rose is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    5,429


    #1

    Dog Food

    Advertisements
    What kind of food do you feed your dog?? We have been buying Iams because its available at the grocery store but it seems to be making both of my dogs insanely thirsty so I think we are going to change to something higher quality.
  2. Wine-o
    brahette's Avatar
    brahette is offline
    Wine-o
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    2,792
    #2
    I feed Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet formulas. Recently just been doing sweet potato and chicken, but I'm probably going to go back to rotating the flavors for variety.

    This is a good website for dog food research - https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/
    ~Becca~


  3. Senior Member
    irish85's Avatar
    irish85 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,732
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild*Rose View Post
    What kind of food do you feed your dog?? We have been buying Iams because its available at the grocery store but it seems to be making both of my dogs insanely thirsty so I think we are going to change to something higher quality.
    Awww, I get Hill's science diet, and order from Chewy. Its a lot cheaper and it comes quick. I have it set to autoship every 12 weeks, you can always change it if you notice you need more or less time. They have almost everything on there! I get his treats from there too!

    https://www.chewy.com/
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    Wild*Rose's Avatar
    Wild*Rose is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    5,429


    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by brahette View Post
    I feed Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet formulas. Recently just been doing sweet potato and chicken, but I'm probably going to go back to rotating the flavors for variety.

    This is a good website for dog food research - https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/
    I'll have to check out that site! We were using Merrick but then I couldn't really find it without driving out of my way to find a Petco (Petsmart doesn't carry it) but Cassie hates it so that food won't work now haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by irish85 View Post
    Awww, I get Hill's science diet, and order from Chewy. Its a lot cheaper and it comes quick. I have it set to autoship every 12 weeks, you can always change it if you notice you need more or less time. They have almost everything on there! I get his treats from there too!

    https://www.chewy.com/
    I was just looking at Chewy. A lot of my friends order from there and say they save a ton of money. I'm dying at spending almost $100 a month on dog food for two dogs
  5. Senior Member
    irish85's Avatar
    irish85 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,732
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild*Rose View Post
    I'll have to check out that site! We were using Merrick but then I couldn't really find it without driving out of my way to find a Petco (Petsmart doesn't carry it) but Cassie hates it so that food won't work now haha.

    I was just looking at Chewy. A lot of my friends order from there and say they save a ton of money. I'm dying at spending almost $100 a month of dog food for two dogs
    I know! It adds up especially with two pups! I would def give it a try!
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  6. Wine-o
    brahette's Avatar
    brahette is offline
    Wine-o
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    2,792
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild*Rose View Post
    I'll have to check out that site! We were using Merrick but then I couldn't really find it without driving out of my way to find a Petco (Petsmart doesn't carry it) but Cassie hates it so that food won't work now haha.

    I was just looking at Chewy. A lot of my friends order from there and say they save a ton of money. I'm dying at spending almost $100 a month of dog food for two dogs
    Chewy is fantastic, I've been using them for years! I'm actually likely switching back to Petco to buy though because I'm worried about packages getting stolen at my place. My landlord has his packages diverted but that basically defeats the purpose of having it delivered if I have to go pick it up anyway. I was doing a big bag every 5 weeks and it was about $55ish. That's for 3 dogs that are way smaller than yours though
    ~Becca~


  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    AshleyO's Avatar
    AshleyO is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5,727
    #7
    Teddy is on Purina pro plan savor (large breed weight management) thanks to a recommendation from Heisenburg. He's been on Blue Buffalo, Nutro, Earthbound (or something like that), and one other. So far this is the best, but he has only been on it for a couple months.

    I Eelizah
  8. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    [his] lobster's Avatar
    [his] lobster is offline
    Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    8,737

    #8
    I buy taste of the wild on Amazon. It seems to be the same price on Chewy. We have two, but they collectively eat 4 cups a day, so one 30lb bag lasts a 5-6 weeks.

    I also recently heard that some people cut their dogs dry food with no sodium canned veggies, like green beans but I'd ask your vet before doing that. I thought it was an interesting idea but I haven't verified it as good/safe/etc...
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    AshleyO's Avatar
    AshleyO is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5,727
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    I buy taste of the wild on Amazon. It seems to be the same price on Chewy. We have two, but they collectively eat 4 cups a day, so one 30lb bag lasts a 5-6 weeks.

    I also recently heard that some people cut their dogs dry food with no sodium canned veggies, like green beans but I'd ask your vet before doing that. I thought it was an interesting idea but I haven't verified it as good/safe/etc...
    My vet recommenced this because my dog needs to lose weight. Unfortunately he absolutely hates vegetables so it didn't work for us. He also suggested using green beans for treats.

    I Eelizah
  10. Wine-o
    brahette's Avatar
    brahette is offline
    Wine-o
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    2,792
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    I buy taste of the wild on Amazon. It seems to be the same price on Chewy. We have two, but they collectively eat 4 cups a day, so one 30lb bag lasts a 5-6 weeks.

    I also recently heard that some people cut their dogs dry food with no sodium canned veggies, like green beans but I'd ask your vet before doing that. I thought it was an interesting idea but I haven't verified it as good/safe/etc...
    I used to do this but used fresh green beans. I have a friend that adds fresh broccoli. And for treats, I give carrots!

    If I wasn't feeding NB, I'd probably do TOTW. I tried Evo years ago and it was way too rich for my dogs so I tested out a bunch of foods and have ultimately been pretty happy with NB... they've been on it for years with no issues.
    ~Becca~


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •