Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: I am going crazy

1. Senior Member

I am going crazy

Advertisements
    We have two cats.

One of them had the beginning of a UTI last week, and accidently dribbled a little urine on one cushion of the couch. I cleaned that up, and took him to the vet. He got put on antibiotics and has been fine since then.

Well, I think that little dribble of pee threw the kitten into like a territory war or something. He has ALWAYS used the litterbox and now he keeps peeing on my couch. The cushion where Jarreth peed, all the cushions. I'm going insane. I cleaned with baking soda and vinegar. I put down an enzyme killer. I really am ready to get a new couch. I can't stand the smell of cat pee. And it's making me go insane.

But, How do I get my once perfect little kitten to start using his litterbox again? Start over and put him and the box in the bathroom for a week?

How do I get out cat urine from furniture?
  2. Senior Member
    I have been through the same kind of thing and I hate to tell you it can be really hard. You are doing all the right things. You may try isolating the little one for a bit and see if that helps. There is also a spray that is called Feliway that will relax cats and keep their anxiety down. I've had good luck with it. You can order it online or at PetMart.
  3. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Is the kitten fixed yet? When Jazzy was a young'in she suddenly went nuts peeing on everything and it was because she was starting to go into heat.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  4. Senior Member
    The only thing that helped us was getting our cat fixed. Nothing else worked. I feel your pain... cat pee smell is the worst.
  5. Senior Member
    They are both fixed. I don't know what else to do.

Right now, I have them both confined in separate bathrooms with all of their things. Hopefully that sort of resets them both to a neutral zone? I hope so.. We have furniture guys coming out to steam clean this couch this weekend, so I'm keeping in there until that can be done and maybe they won't be able to smell the other's urine.

I put pheromone collars on both of them to hopefully help with the anxiety of whatever is going through their heads.
  6. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Did the vet actually culture the urine and say it was a UTI 3-5 days later, or just say he thinks its a UTI and put it on antibiotics? UTIs are rare in healthy, adult cats- in fact it only makes up for 2% of why cats pee outside of the box. The overwhelming majority actually have either a pain/stress disorder called FIC/FLUTD, or behavioral issues. If the vet didn't culture the urine- thats a bad vet. If he did and it actually is a UTI, was the cat put on pain medications as well as antibiotics?
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Did the vet actually culture the urine and say it was a UTI 3-5 days later, or just say he thinks its a UTI and put it on antibiotics? UTIs are rare in healthy, adult cats- in fact it only makes up for 2% of why cats pee outside of the box. The overwhelming majority actually have either a pain/stress disorder called FIC/FLUTD, or behavioral issues. If the vet didn't culture the urine- thats a bad vet. If he did and it actually is a UTI, was the cat put on pain medications as well as antibiotics?
    Nope. She didn't test anything.. I was extremely disappointed that I paid 50.00 for an exam fee for her to do basically nothing. She felt his abdomen and said nothing felt full(?) and then said she was going to give him an antibiotic shot that would last two weeks. She said I need to put more litter boxes down as she thought it was behavior issue. He has been urinating fine in his box now, though.

However, because he dribbled on the couch, our other cat has gone into full blown marking all over the couch. It is driving me nuts. They are both neutered.