Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Question

1. Regular Member

Puppy Question

Advertisements
    Hi guys!
    So I have a 15 month old Catahoula leopard dog. Her name is Delphi and I love her with all my heart. BUT. She has started within the last few days going pee every like 30 minutes. Or sometimes she will pee more than once each time we go out. I feel like this is an excessive amount. But, since this is the first puppy I've ever had I'm not really sure if its normal. When we leave and put her in her crate for a few hours she can hold it and does not really have accidents anymore. Besides the occasional pee in the house she is pretty much potty trained. I put a bell on the door and she either rings it or whines at the door. My issue is this whole peeing every 30 minute things is starting to kind of drive me nuts.

Any advice? Is this normal?
    Thanks, Kasey
  2. Senior Member
    It could be because she's a puppy and not fully potty trained; or it could be a UTI. Is there blood in the urine?

3. Regular Member
    Yeah a UTI crossed my mind I just didn't know how a puppy could get one. And no there is not blood in the urine.
  4. Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    Navy Wife Extraordinaire

I would take her in to the vet and have them test her urine to see if its a UTI. I am not sure how dogs can get them but my dog has had them a couple times and its best to take them in before it could turn into a kidney infection. Some antibiotics will clear it right up.

Also, you may not be able to see blood in the urine, but that doesn't mean its not there.
  5. Regular Member
    okay. We got her a week ago and she is due for a vet appointment anyway. I'll call around to places tomorrow. Just to be on the safe side! Thanks!
  6. Senior Member
    I agree with the vet appointment just to make sure. But because she is physically able to hold it for hours in the crate, it makes me think she just wants to go out and smell things/pee. I would make sure you give her plenty of walks, chew toys and things to keep her busy and tire her out. It might just be fun for her to ring the bell and have the door open.
  7. Senior Member
    Checking with the vet is a good idea of course, but since she holds it in her crate, it sounds like a behavior problem.

If you've only had her for a week, she might just still be figuring out house breaking. 15 months isn't really a puppy anymore in most respects, so she should be able to hold it for hours. But since you don't know what training she had before now, you have no idea whether she was even house broken, so I'd treat her like a puppy, taking her out ever 30-45 minutes, massive praise (unless that scares her) when she pees outside, and keeping her leashed to you if possible so you can have an eye on her at all times and rush her outside if she looks like she's about to pee.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by PaUSMC View Post
    I agree with the vet appointment just to make sure. But because she is physically able to hold it for hours in the crate, it makes me think she just wants to go out and smell things/pee. I would make sure you give her plenty of walks, chew toys and things to keep her busy and tire her out. It might just be fun for her to ring the bell and have the door open.
    I agree with the bolded. Is she peeing peeing or is it just a squirt every time you go out? If its just a little each time it could just be that she is bored and wants to go outside and explore/play.
  9. Regular Member
    Okay. I'm gonna make a vet appointment soon but I do agree that most of it is probably just her being a puppy. I'll try to get her out more during the day and maybe she wont want out as much.
  10. Senior Member
    I'm not so sure that just because she holds it in the crate it is totally a behavior problem. She may hold it in the crate because you have left, she is by herself, so she just sleeps. The peeing more than once when she goes out is pretty normal. Not all dogs do that, but it is not unusual. How much exercise does she get? What happens when she rings the bell and you take her outside? Do you play? If so, she may have trained you to take her out and play when she rings the bell. I suggest having the vet rule out a UTI, but also upping the amount of exercise she gets to see if that helps.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast