Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dog Biting

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Dog Biting

Advertisements
    I don't know what to do...my dog, who I love more than almost anything in the world, bit me in the face last night. This is the second time in less than six months he has gone from perfectly calm laying next to me to biting me...both times when I was trying to get up off the floor. He knows he did something wrong but only because he realizes I won't touch him and we made him sleep in the living room last night instead of the bedroom. I talked to a trainer and we're going to go but I have to wonder how effective that can possibly be when the chances of the trainer seeing the issue are slim to none. I'm petrified someone is going to make me put him down for it and that would break my heart but at the same time I'm starting to be scared to have him around future kids...if he can do this to me imagine what he could do to a baby. This is rambling and I don't even really know what I'm looking for but I just need to get it all off my chest and honestly I feel to embarrassed to tell most people what happened.
  2. Senior Member
    No advice, but I'm so sorry that happened to you

Are you okay? Did he break skin?

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    No advice, but I'm so sorry that happened to you

Are you okay? Did he break skin?
    thanks . yea he did in two places and my left cheek right below my eye is pretty swollen today. I ended up going to urgent care knowing I needed to get antibiotics and they called animal control and I had to talk to the cops. Cop said it was no big deal because I lied and said I provoked it but I'm still scared of what animal control will say.
  4. Senior Member
    Was he scared for some reason? Did he think you were playing?

I'm sorry Heather thats so weird that he would bite out of nowhere for no reason.
  5. Senior Member
    I would start with a trip to the vet to make sure he isn't in any pain.. Dogs can become aggressive when they are in pain. Next step would be to consult a trainer.. He could have been drifting off to sleep and you startled him?

So sorry this is happening to you. I don't think anyone will make you put him down, but if he broke skin and you go to the vet, they may have to report to animal control. In NC, it's a mandatory report. AC won't be an issue as long as he is up to date on all of his shots.
  6. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    So sorry this happened, Heather Trainers deal with ALL kinds of issues so I wouldn't be worried about that at all, a good trainer will be able to help you address the issues and move forward. I was bitten by one of my previous foster dogs and ended up in urgent care and I just had to fill out a DoH form and they called me later on to just make sure everything was ok and then they closed the case. The requirements for reporting and what happens vary by state so you'd just have to know what VA requires.
    ~Becca~

7. Senior Member
    I'm not sure if this is the rule everywhere, but where I'm from if your own dog bites you it's fine because whoever is bitten gets to decide if they want to try to have the dog put down or not.

How large is your dog? Was he a rescue? Do you think he felt threatened or intimidated at all when you went to get up? These definitely don't excuse it, but can help properly address the issue a lot.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I would get a trainer involved big time. Yes, it can be corrected; but, it sounds like there is an issue somewhere.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  9. Senior Member
    Instead of a trainer, you might want to consider a veterinarian behaviorist. What breed is he? Just asking because the breed may be prone to some medical issue that might help understand the behavior.

In NC, once the bite is reported to Animal Control, they will come to the house and you need to show proof of current rabies vaccination. Whether you have proof or not, the dog needs to be quarantined, but if you have proof the quarantine can be done at home, where if you don't have proof the quarantine has to be done at the shelter.
    Last edited by dekeoboe; 10-25-2016 at 07:23 AM. Reason: clarification
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    I would start with a trip to the vet to make sure he isn't in any pain.. Dogs can become aggressive when they are in pain. Next step would be to consult a trainer.. He could have been drifting off to sleep and you startled him?

So sorry this is happening to you. I don't think anyone will make you put him down, but if he broke skin and you go to the vet, they may have to report to animal control. In NC, it's a mandatory report. AC won't be an issue as long as he is up to date on all of his shots.
    I agree with getting him to a vet. Dogs can act aggressive when they are hurt or in pain. Sorry that this happened to you, hopefully you are able to figure out whats wrong or work with a trainer
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast