Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering a Pet

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Considering a Pet

Advertisements
    So my fiance is finally in SC, though his A-school hasn't started yet. He's said that we *might* be able to get a pet in the future, so I'm considering my options now so I have lots of time to prepare and get the right info!

About us: hoping to get married ~November, just a quick courthouse thing for now. Will be living in SC for at least 1.5 years, due to his schooling. He's in the Navy. He's owned two dogs in the past, family dogs that were both part chihuahua. I've owned 4 dogs, all family pets, 3 labs and a beagle. I've also owned a ferret, hamsters, and babysat my neighbor's birds.

Pets we're considering: Pomeranian, cat, maaayybe rats (I'd have to convince him, but I think they're adorable)

I know pomeranian's require more grooming, and he's dealt with small dogs before so I'm not worried about that. Cats, neither of us have any experience with aside from being at friends' houses. Rats I've been around a little, and have cared for similar animals before, but again no experience. There's a lot of variables, and travel/climate is something to consider too. I'd love to hear opinions on this, especially from people who have owned these animals!

I'm not looking for other pet suggestions, these are my options, thank you :3
  2. Senior Member
    I probably wouldn't do rats being in the military, a lot of places have restrictions on rodents so you might run into issues when you have to move. I'm almost positive they weren't allowed in base housing when I was in Louisiana.
  3. Senior Member
    Definitely go with something simple like a dog or cat, I would recommend dog. Most of the houses we looked at only allowed small dogs, but I know there are lots of places that do allow cats though.
  4. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    I mean, it really depends on what you want in a pet. Dogs usually require a lot more work, attention, training, etc and plus you have to always consider what to do with a dog when you travel. You'll have to consider pet friendly hotels or a sitter/kennel/dog walker. Pomeranians can be very yappy dogs - my friend that stayed with me for a few months had one and that dog drove me up a wall. Usually you'll have to stay on a regular type of schedule especially when training. Cats typically require a lot less effort and can usually be left unattended for longer periods, and you typically don't have to worry about bringing a cat with you when you travel. Also keep in mind your thoughts on litter boxes and potential smells. Cats can be less social than dogs although I have met some dog-like cats so that's not necessarily a blanket statement. No experience with rats but one of my friends has them and they look adorable. I grew up with cats and have 3 dogs currently.

First you need to figure out why you want a pet and what you want in a pet. Then go from there.
    ~Becca~

5. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    yeah it might be really hard to find a place to allow rats. Plus they're super social creatures and so you'd need 2. I don't think I've ever lived in an apartment that allows rats though. Cats are nice, but I've noticed that a lot of people who don't grow up with them don't really understand what you can and can't teach them. So I wouldn't get one unless you are really realistic about being a good cat owner and having manageable expectations. A Pom is probably your best bet but of course will require the most care and be the most expensive option.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Go to a rescue and find the animals that loves you and needs you.
    Charleston animal shelter is amazing
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I probably wouldn't do rats being in the military, a lot of places have restrictions on rodents so you might run into issues when you have to move. I'm almost positive they weren't allowed in base housing when I was in Louisiana.
    i know rats aren't allowed in the housing we're looking at in FL and they aren't allowed in either apartment I've lived in here.

I would recommend a small/medium sized dog (probably up to about 50 lbs) that way you shouldn't have too hard of a time finding rental. But as well as boarding like Brahette mentioned be prepared to have to pay extra security deposits for pets in apartments and houses also vet bills can be expensive; in this area I budget about $200 per visit and I'm usually around there.

Pomeranians are hippy and very hairy so be prepared to have to vacuum like every day if you get one. Personally I love lab mixes; they're a little higher energy but in my experience they tend to be quieter than smaller breeds and are extremely loyal.

and like Guynavywife said please please please rescue a pup in need of a good home instead of buying a puppy there are a lot of really awesome dogs who just got the short end of the stick and need a good home.
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thanks for all the replies! Of course I'm wanting to adopt from a shelter <3 The reason I suggested rats is because I know they don't live too long, and I know we won't be moving around for at least 1.5 years. I'd get like 2 of them and they'd have a friend when I'm not home (whereas we won't be able to get two dogs or two cats, due to expenses).

I hadn't considered the yappiness of poms, that might or might not be a problem. What other small and cute dogs might be recommended, in case we want something else?

I want a pet because I know my fiance will be away a lot, first for school and then on duty and whatnot. I get lonely and have some minor anxiety/depression issues, and having a pet to care for will keep me busy as well as give me a fuzzy buddy to spend time with.
  9. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    My neighbors have a half chihuahua/half terrier and she's awesome. Not so yippy, more outgoing and playful. Doesn't like other dogs much though.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  10. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Quote Originally Posted by jesse0319 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies! Of course I'm wanting to adopt from a shelter <3 The reason I suggested rats is because I know they don't live too long, and I know we won't be moving around for at least 1.5 years. I'd get like 2 of them and they'd have a friend when I'm not home (whereas we won't be able to get two dogs or two cats, due to expenses).

I hadn't considered the yappiness of poms, that might or might not be a problem. What other small and cute dogs might be recommended, in case we want something else?

I want a pet because I know my fiance will be away a lot, first for school and then on duty and whatnot. I get lonely and have some minor anxiety/depression issues, and having a pet to care for will keep me busy as well as give me a fuzzy buddy to spend time with.
    You really need to figure out what sort of qualities you're looking for. "Small and cute" is not very specific. Are you ok with dogs that require grooming or other extensive care? What about ones that might be prone to specific injuries? Are you looking for a dog that's more lazy or one that has lots of energy? Breeds vary greatly. I would honestly even Google around for a breed quiz to see what it recommends as a starting point.

I have Italian Greyhounds which are pretty low key in the maintenance department but are also horrible with potty training and prone to leg injuries. They sleep a lot and get bursts of energy in small amounts, but don't really require daily walks. I also love pugs which require frequent brushing, shed a ton, and make loud snorty noises but are generally very lazy. Boston Terriers have a crazy amount of energy typically. Poms can be yappy and require grooming especially in the summer when it's hot. Chihuahuas can go either direction in the yappy or low key department. These are just a few small breed options, so you really need to narrow down what you're looking for FIRST and then you can figure out a breed that fits that criteria. And even better, you can then find a breed-specific rescue to potentially adopt from!
    ~Becca~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast