Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Treat Strike

1. Wine-o
    Wine-o

Treat Strike

Advertisements
    So one of my dogs has been on a treat strike lately. Every time I leave - for work, to go out, whatever - the dogs are gated in the kitchen and they all get a treat. Priscilla has always been very food motivated. Whenever I go out of town, however, she gets mad upon my return and will go on a treat strike for a day or two where she refuses to take her treat when I leave... obviously she's associating the me leaving with me going out of town. Usually after like 2 days, she's fine and realizes I am coming back every time. This past month though, I traveled twice for very short periods - one trip was 2 nights and the next was 1 night. Since that second trip which was over 2 weeks ago, she downright refuses to take her treat. My other 2 dogs take their treats with no issues, but Priscilla goes over to the corner and sits and glares at me. On one occasion she actually acted like she was going to take her treat and then legit spit it out at me

She's absolutely fine otherwise and will take treats any other time as long as it's not when I'm leaving. I feel bad that she's so bummed out when I travel that she goes on these strikes. Any thoughts on how to remedy this issue?
    ~Becca~

2. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    One of our dogs does something similar to this. If we are out the door in the morning we give them both cookies (milk bones) and he will take it from me and go lie down somewhere. Then when we get home he will greet me at the door with it, so I guess he carries it around all day and waits to eat it till I get back He also will not eat his meals unless my husband and I are both in the room with him. I have no idea why he does it just a goofball I guess and he's done it all his life, he's 10. We don't worry about it, he is how he is I suppose.
  3. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatchbell322 View Post
    One of our dogs does something similar to this. If we are out the door in the morning we give them both cookies (milk bones) and he will take it from me and go lie down somewhere. Then when we get home he will greet me at the door with it, so I guess he carries it around all day and waits to eat it till I get back He also will not eat his meals unless my husband and I are both in the room with him. I have no idea why he does it just a goofball I guess and he's done it all his life, he's 10. We don't worry about it, he is how he is I suppose.
    Yeah but with my dog it's because she's upset/mad so that's why it worries me. I'm out of town this weekend again so I'm sure she's gonna be even more pissed off
    ~Becca~

4. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure you have someone coming in to take care of your dogs while you're away but does that person play with them/do something they like to do with them or do they just come in and let them out to go potty then put them back in? Maybe if your pet sitter did something special while you were away it wouldn't make your dog so spiteful?

5. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    I'm sure you have someone coming in to take care of your dogs while you're away but does that person play with them/do something they like to do with them or do they just come in and let them out to go potty then put them back in? Maybe if your pet sitter did something special while you were away it wouldn't make your dog so spiteful?
    Good point. My old petsitter bailed on me quite a few times and I had to hire the dog walking company that I don't like for the past few times I've gone out of town. I finally found a new sitter last week though and she'll be watching them this weekend. She has a pretty flexible schedule and plans on staying for longer than just a quick potty. Guess I will see how she is after this trip, hopefully it will be better!
    ~Becca~

6. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brahette View Post
    Good point. My old petsitter bailed on me quite a few times and I had to hire the dog walking company that I don't like for the past few times I've gone out of town. I finally found a new sitter last week though and she'll be watching them this weekend. She has a pretty flexible schedule and plans on staying for longer than just a quick potty. Guess I will see how she is after this trip, hopefully it will be better!
    One other thought, is it possible that the dog that's so angry gets beat up by the other dogs while you're away/they are pinned up?

7. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    One other thought, is it possible that the dog that's so angry gets beat up by the other dogs while you're away/they are pinned up?
    Definitely not - if anything, she's the one that does the beating up of the other 2
    ~Becca~

8. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brahette View Post
    Definitely not - if anything, she's the one that does the beating up of the other 2
    Yeah then I'd say just make sure your pet sitter gives them some attention and she'll probably be ok! Sounds like quite the diva

9. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Yeah then I'd say just make sure your pet sitter gives them some attention and she'll probably be ok! Sounds like quite the diva
    Oh yes, she totally is
    ~Becca~

10. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Just an update - new petsitter is awesome and totally spoiled the crew and spent a ton of time with them this weekend. She had no issues getting Priscilla to take her treats. But as of this morning, her treat strike still continues with me Guess I'll see if she gets over it in a few days or not, lol this dog is ridiculous
    ~Becca~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast