Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My pup has dry skin

1. Senior Member

My pup has dry skin

Advertisements
    Loui has some terribly dry, sensitive skin. Always has. But since moving to a much hotter, dry place, it's gotten worse. When I bathe him I use regular Dial soap. He loves coconut oil so I started putting that in his food nightly. Back home when I did that I noticed it made a difference.

Is there any soap I could use that would give him immediate/faster relief? He's scratching at his chest/stomach area and licking his paws quite a bit. I can tells he's uncomfortable and I just want to help him but I don't know what's the best option.
  2. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Does he have an allergy? Sounds like when my mom's dog eats grains
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Does he have an allergy? Sounds like when my mom's dog eats grains
    He does have allergies. He's very food sensitive. I have to keep him on chicken otherwise he has very noxious gas. The brand I feed him obviously has different flavors and I've tried them all. Beef, turkey, two different fish ones, venison. He liked them but had terrible gas. His eating habits haven't changed lately though. I can try the grain free version of his food and see how that goes.
  4. Senior Member
    Wal-Mart sells all kinds of dog shampoos for cheap that would irritate his skin much less than dishwashing soap. Maybe DrVinoVet can chime in but I would think the dishwashing soap could be making his dry skin issues worse! Oatmeal based dog shampoos are usually good for calming skin conditions but I'm not sure with the allergy issues...
  5. Senior Member
    I would think something was making his allergies flare up. We have a very sesitive dog, and if she gets any bite of something that she is allergic too, her skin turns red and she starts itching. Once the culprit is out of her system, she is fine again. Maybe check and see if the food has recently changed formulas?

Also, could you try a LID? That is what we have to do for our sensitive dog.

Make sure she doesn't have fleas! And do her paws smell like corn chips? I know that's weird.. but its a sign of yeast.
  6. Senior Member
    Have you tried giving him a calatin?
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by she_lurks View Post
    Wal-Mart sells all kinds of dog shampoos for cheap that would irritate his skin much less than dishwashing soap. Maybe DrVinoVet can chime in but I would think the dishwashing soap could be making his dry skin issues worse! Oatmeal based dog shampoos are usually good for calming skin conditions but I'm not sure with the allergy issues...
    I don't think it's the soap, I've always used that brand. In Jersey his dry skin wasn't bad, every now and then he'd get a hot spot on his stomach and I'd put stuff on it that the vet gave me and it'd go away no problem. Since getting to Texas it's gotten much worse. I noticed that his elbows are really dry and were even bleeding the other day. This is the worst it's ever been. I did get an oatmeal based soap with hydrocortisone and aloe Vera in it. He needs something extra to help moisturize so I'm hoping this new shampoo will do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    I would think something was making his allergies flare up. We have a very sesitive dog, and if she gets any bite of something that she is allergic too, her skin turns red and she starts itching. Once the culprit is out of her system, she is fine again. Maybe check and see if the food has recently changed formulas?

Also, could you try a LID? That is what we have to do for our sensitive dog.

Make sure she doesn't have fleas! And do her paws smell like corn chips? I know that's weird.. but its a sign of yeast.
    I'll definitely check his food to make sure it hasn't changed. What is a LID? No fleas, thankfully. I thought maybe he did have them but a thorough check proved no. No corn chip smelling paws either.
    Quote Originally Posted by irish85 View Post
    Have you tried giving him a calatin?
    Hm, what is a calatin?
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by caljmw649 View Post
    I don't think it's the soap, I've always used that brand. In Jersey his dry skin wasn't bad, every now and then he'd get a hot spot on his stomach and I'd put stuff on it that the vet gave me and it'd go away no problem. Since getting to Texas it's gotten much worse. I noticed that his elbows are really dry and were even bleeding the other day. This is the worst it's ever been. I did get an oatmeal based soap with hydrocortisone and aloe Vera in it. He needs something extra to help moisturize so I'm hoping this new shampoo will do that.

I'll definitely check his food to make sure it hasn't changed. What is a LID? No fleas, thankfully. I thought maybe he did have them but a thorough check proved no. No corn chip smelling paws either.

Hm, what is a calatin?
    Oops spelling mistake i meant Claratin.
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  9. Senior Member
    LID is a limited ingredient diet!
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by irish85 View Post
    Oops spelling mistake i meant Claratin.
    I hadn't even thought of that. I gave it to my cat since she had terrible allergies and it worked great for her. I should try it for Loui.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    LID is a limited ingredient diet!
    Well besides his regular food I only give him the occasional peanut butter, biscuit, I've been putting coconut oil on his food and sometimes yogurt.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast