Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Allergy Medicine for Dogs

1. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Allergy Medicine for Dogs

Advertisements
    My golden seems to be suffering from seasonal allergies. Mostly just her eyes are red, puffy, and goopy. We took her to see the vet and they gave us some eye drops to use for two weeks. She also recommended an antihistamine, Zyrtec 20 mg/day. We went and bought it, but only found it in 10 mg. the bottle only recommends 10 mg for an adult.

Charlie only weighs 64 lbs. To me, it seems like a lot to double the recommended dose for a dog that weighs half as much as a fit female human. I called the vet today with my concern and she told me that the actual recommended dose is 21.5 mg and since we bought the 10mg pills to give her 3 .

Thoughts? Just trust the vet?
  2. Senior Member
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbynormal View Post
    My golden seems to be suffering from seasonal allergies. Mostly just her eyes are red, puffy, and goopy. We took her to see the vet and they gave us some eye drops to use for two weeks. She also recommended an antihistamine, Zyrtec 20 mg/day. We went and bought it, but only found it in 10 mg. the bottle only recommends 10 mg for an adult.

Charlie only weighs 64 lbs. To me, it seems like a lot to double the recommended dose for a dog that weighs half as much as a fit female human. I called the vet today with my concern and she told me that the actual recommended dose is 21.5 mg and since we bought the 10mg pills to give her 3 .

Thoughts? Just trust the vet?
    Yes she weighs less, but dogs probably metabolize the medicine differently.
  4. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Dogs metabolize medication differently than humans. You cant compare the two dosages. Your vet is correct. I would give 2 and see how she does.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Dogs metabolize medication differently than humans. You cant compare the two dosages. Your vet is correct. I would give 2 and see how she does.
    Never hurts to double check but yep!