Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Fireworks

1. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries

Fireworks

Advertisements
    Lady has never had issues in the past but this year she is. The last 2 nights she's been really clingy and sleeping with DB and I, which she normally doesn't. I tried diluting some lavender oil and using that in our room last night, did nothing, like I thought.

I feel so unprepared for this, we've never had an issue.
  2. Senior Member
    I feel like I've heard lavender is bad for animals, maybe that's just cats? Idk I would look into that.

My dog is terrified of storms, fireworks, everything really. Totally ignoring him helps. Seriously if I baby him or even just acknowledge at all that he's scared he's much worse. Xanax helps the most but I don't like medicating him. He eventually falls asleep.
  3. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I feel like I've heard lavender is bad for animals, maybe that's just cats? Idk I would look into that.

My dog is terrified of storms, fireworks, everything really. Totally ignoring him helps. Seriously if I baby him or even just acknowledge at all that he's scared he's much worse. Xanax helps the most but I don't like medicating him. He eventually falls asleep.
    I thought about Benadryl tonight, DB is doing fireworks with his family but I'm kinda nervous to leave her. I was thinking maybe with the Benadryl turning on the fan in my room on high and maybe the TV.

Edit: Lavender is ok for dogs but not cats. I had to watched what I used when I worked at the cat rescue and we have a calming spray for the dogs at the kennel I work at.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I think its just something you have to deal with...we had four dogs here last night all shaking and scared (we cleaned up pee 4 times) we did try to make noise to keep them calmer/ block out the sound. so leave a fan on, turn on the tv/radio, talk etc to drown out the noises
  5. Senior Member
    Jackson is scared of everything, I asked about medication and our vet said the best is to ignore him and just have him get used to the sounds by doing YouTube videos or something and going about your day acting like it is NBD, play with them and try and make those sounds associated with fun. Giving them too much coddling attention will reinforce the behavior.

I will say it helps a little, but there is still something about the thunder/ fireworks that terrifies Jackson.

Won't really help for tonight, but might help next time.