Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Rehoming Pitbull in Texas (not my dog, asking for friend)

1. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey

Rehoming Pitbull in Texas (not my dog, asking for friend)

Advertisements
    Hey guys -

So a former coworker/friend has to rehome her pitbull. Now, I *know* how people feel about folks rehoming dogs.
    However, this one came as quite a surprise since they have been pitbull owners in the past- and were very successful.
    They lost Rocky (their 13 yr old Pit) to cancer in October, and were absolutely devastated.
    (Side note, they also have the meanest chihuahua on the planet).
    Anyway, they got their new pitty (Zooey) at the end of last year and it just hasn't been working out. Zooey is extremely nervous/high anxiety & I guess whatever interventions they have tried aren't working. It' culminated this past weekend with the 3 year old startling the dog (my impression is that it was unintentional) and she [the dog] bit her.
    The little girl is okay - just some scratches, but enough where Mom isn't willing to risk any more incidents.

But she also doesn't know what to do with rehoming.
    Would rather not use a shelter b/c she's afraid they'll just blindly put her on the kill list and not give her a chance.

Again, this person isn't ME. I have my own thoughts and feelings about the situation -- but right now, I'm just focussed on trying to get this dog to a better environment.

Anyone have any knowledge of some really awesome rescue associations (preferably in Texas) that help with these difficult cases?

www.SnarkyFit.com
  2. Senior Member
    First, she could try contacting wherever/whoever she got the dog from. Sometimes they will take the pet back. If that's not an option, she could place an ad in pet stores, online, the vet she goes to, talk to friends/family to get the word spreading that she's looking for a good home for the pet. If she does that, I suggest having her write up a contract/application of sorts. Unless she absolutely knows the pet is going to a good home. The contract could ask for references and the vet they go to so that she could call and make sure the person is a responsible pet owner. I know someone who breeds their dog and they require that, plus they require monthly emails with updates and pictures of the pet. She could even try calling rescues around her to see if they could take the dog. It seems the dog needs some training and rescues will put in the training a dog needs so they can get adopted. Obviously children are a negative trigger so I suggest the dog goes to a home with no small children. Or other pets as another pet trying to play could be bad too. At least until the dog gets the training they need
  3. Senior Member
    Most rescues aren't going to deal with a dog that has a history of biting someone, unfortunately. But I would start by calling every rescue (and the breeder, if they bought from one) and every no-kill shelter. But up front about the issue because otherwise the dog could end up hurting someone else much worse in the future. But that's also going to make this an uphill battle.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I'm wondering where the dog came from too - I would at least start there because honestly, with a dog that bites, it's going to be very difficult to find a new home for the dog.

I've worked with Love-A-Bull before and they've always been up front and good with advice. This is their information on pits that bite:

Do you really have to? – Love-A-Bull

If Your Dog Has Bitten A Person

If your dog is aggressive with people or has ever bitten anyone, we truly empathize with you as we understand that this is an incredibly tough situation for you and/or your family. While we cannot make the decision for you, we can tell you that re-homing a dog with a bite history can be a huge liability. Re-homing will not solve the issue just move the location of the issue. There are choices, few, but some:

First, seek out the advice of a trainer that is an expert on aggression. Do your research on this trainer and make sure they have the credentials and/or experience to offer you sound, reasonable advice.
    If you choose to attempt to re-home your dog, you MUST be honest to future adopters about the behaviors your dog is currently exhibiting. If you are untruthful, you could be inviting a large array of lawsuits into your life. You would also be risking the safety of that adopter, his/her family and the community the dog will be moving to.
    We do not suggest taking your dog to a local animal shelter, even a “no kill”. Aggressive dogs rarely make it out of the shelters because of the liability their behavior causes to the community.
    If you feel that you have exhausted all other measures, humane euthanasia may be the most responsible choice.
    I know the info on the site seems discouraging but it sounds like the situation is bleak. There's links to trainers on the site that may have more specific info about rehoming a dog that bites but it's always going to be very hard. Sorry to hear about Zooey's situation.
  5. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    I'm wondering where the dog came from too - I would at least start there because honestly, with a dog that bites, it's going to be very difficult to find a new home for the dog.

I've worked with Love-A-Bull before and they've always been up front and good with advice. This is their information on pits that bite:

Do you really have to? – Love-A-Bull

I know the info on the site seems discouraging but it sounds like the situation is bleak. There's links to trainers on the site that may have more specific info about rehoming a dog that bites but it's always going to be very hard. Sorry to hear about Zooey's situation.
    Thank you. Yeah... it does sound pretty bleak. Which sucks because I firmly in the camp that dogs don't usually just haul off and bite out of the blue.
    But a 3 year old (even one who has been around dogs) isn't going to pick up on subtle cues. And I can't imagine reasonably expecting parents to have eyes on their kids at all times -- if you did that, you'd probably never get anything done! (Says the chick with no kids)

www.SnarkyFit.com
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

If she got it from a rescue chances are she can bring the dog back to them or may even have to (she should have a contract stating the requirements) if not I would recommend finding a no-kill shelter even if she has to drive to find one. But she defiantly needs to be open about the bite, while it is possible it was provoked by the daughter the dog could also have an issue that makes it bite unprovoked. I know the rescue I work for has had to put down two dogs for this because there was something just wrong in their head and they would go from sweet and docile to crazy biting (to the point of almost killing another dog etc)
  7. Regular Member
    There are several Pit Rescue groups here in Texas. They should be able to google pitbull rescue Texas and come up with them.
    I have a friend who does cocker spaniel rescue and she's had many come back to her because it just didn't work out. Even she herself had to return a border collie she'd adopted because he just wouldn't settle in. It killed her to have to do it but it was for the best. Hopefully it will all work out for them. And glad the little one is okay.