Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a cat to take medicine

1. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket

Getting a cat to take medicine

Advertisements
    DH and I are struggling sooo much to get Moka to take her medicine. She's on antibiotics for another week yet and we are at our wits end.

We have both liquid and pill versions of the medicine. Here's everything we've tried:
    in pill pockets, mixed with wet food, hidden in dry treats (i carved a little hole for the pill), in tuna, in cheese, in laxatone, in sardine oil. After withholding food, after giving her "uncontaminated" treats. None of these worked.

If we restrain her, she struggles so hard she hurts herself. She literally chokes herself on the edge of the blanket to get away. She bites and scratches and barfs all over from the stress.

The vet suggested mixing a crushed pill with something sticky (like the laxatone) and rubbing it on her leg so she licks it off. Tried that, she just ignores it and lets it get crusty and gross.

We have no idea what else to try
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  2. Senior Member
    Wow, that is tough. I had to give mine half a pill every morning and every evening and since she only got dry food, mixing it didn't work. Actually, every trick didn't work.

I usually just kneeled down, put her between my legs, held her head from below and then tried and squished the pill inside her mouth from the side. Also tried to get it as far in as I could so that she had to swallow. If that makes sense. It took a while to perfect, but in the end, it worked quite well and fast.

Otherwise, my vet told me if I couldn't get the antibiotics in, I'd have to come in for shots. Had to do that the first time around.
  3. Senior Member
    I had to restrain my grandmother's cat and put his antibiotics in his mouth. He slays fought it so hard and usually half of it got spat on me whereas with the dog a piece of cheese worked fine.

Getting them as a shot might be a good option if she is fighting it too much when you try to give then to her manually.
  4. Senior Member
    Idk about for a cat but with my dogs, I just hold their mouths open and shove the pill down their throats and hold their mouths closed. Can you restrain her long enough just for that..?
  5. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Usually the kitty babies are okay when I try to give them medicine, but if it's something they hate I definitely have to restrain fat cat. I hold him upside down with one hand holding the scruff behind his neck so he doesn't move (idk what the technical term for it is, but it disables cat mode I think). Then i use my free hand to pry his mouth open and I shove the pill back into his throat. It sounds kind of violent when I describe it but it really isn't, and he doesn't care once it's over.
  6. Senior Member
    Sometimes it does take two people. We have have to swaddle the cat in a towel, have one person hold the cat while the other opens the cat's mouth slightly and squirts the liquid between the cheek and teeth. Also, check out YouTube.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    We just use the pill pockets and that is the only thing that helps. He is taking his Pepcid and adodyl fine.

I wish you luck! Cats are tough.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  8. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    I use a pill popper. It's like a long device with a rubbery end that has a slit in it. We restrain kitty (I crouch and put the cat between my legs and sit over her) then just open the mouth up enough to put the pill popper in all the way to back of the throat then push the plunger and it basically pops it down their throat and it's real quick.
  9. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    Wow, that is tough. I had to give mine half a pill every morning and every evening and since she only got dry food, mixing it didn't work. Actually, every trick didn't work.

I usually just kneeled down, put her between my legs, held her head from below and then tried and squished the pill inside her mouth from the side. Also tried to get it as far in as I could so that she had to swallow. If that makes sense. It took a while to perfect, but in the end, it worked quite well and fast.

Otherwise, my vet told me if I couldn't get the antibiotics in, I'd have to come in for shots. Had to do that the first time around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    I had to restrain my grandmother's cat and put his antibiotics in his mouth. He slays fought it so hard and usually half of it got spat on me whereas with the dog a piece of cheese worked fine.

Getting them as a shot might be a good option if she is fighting it too much when you try to give then to her manually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Idk about for a cat but with my dogs, I just hold their mouths open and shove the pill down their throats and hold their mouths closed. Can you restrain her long enough just for that..?
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    Usually the kitty babies are okay when I try to give them medicine, but if it's something they hate I definitely have to restrain fat cat. I hold him upside down with one hand holding the scruff behind his neck so he doesn't move (idk what the technical term for it is, but it disables cat mode I think). Then i use my free hand to pry his mouth open and I shove the pill back into his throat. It sounds kind of violent when I describe it but it really isn't, and he doesn't care once it's over.
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    Sometimes it does take two people. We have have to swaddle the cat in a towel, have one person hold the cat while the other opens the cat's mouth slightly and squirts the liquid between the cheek and teeth. Also, check out YouTube.
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    We just use the pill pockets and that is the only thing that helps. He is taking his Pepcid and adodyl fine.

I wish you luck! Cats are tough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatchbell322 View Post
    I use a pill popper. It's like a long device with a rubbery end that has a slit in it. We restrain kitty (I crouch and put the cat between my legs and sit over her) then just open the mouth up enough to put the pill popper in all the way to back of the throat then push the plunger and it basically pops it down their throat and it's real quick.
    oh man you guys. DH and I give up.
    when we had her at the vet initially, it took 5 people to hold her down for her temp. she is such a fierce struggler that Dh and I can't manage this by our selves. even when we burrito her, she's strong enough to rip right through the blankets. we went to petco this morning and bought like 8 more kinds of pill pockets, treats, etc. none of them worked. if you try to hold her mouth open for any length of time she flails her head around so violently she starts wheezing and choking.
    We FINALLY got a pill down her throat today aided by a little bacon-flavored putty and she went and drank a whole bunch of water and we were like YAY OMG.

and then she ran around the house projectile vomiting everywhere. like 4 times.
    I'm done
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    oh man you guys. DH and I give up.
    when we had her at the vet initially, it took 5 people to hold her down for her temp. she is such a fierce struggler that Dh and I can't manage this by our selves. even when we burrito her, she's strong enough to rip right through the blankets. we went to petco this morning and bought like 8 more kinds of pill pockets, treats, etc. none of them worked. if you try to hold her mouth open for any length of time she flails her head around so violently she starts wheezing and choking.
    We FINALLY got a pill down her throat today aided by a little bacon-flavored putty and she went and drank a whole bunch of water and we were like YAY OMG.

and then she ran around the house projectile vomiting everywhere. like 4 times.
    I'm done
    At that point, I'd go back to the vet and get shots. It's what I did the first time I had to give her pills and I just couldn't manage. Your cat seems like quite the fighter, so getting the antibiotics injected may be the only way to go.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast