Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat milk question

1. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries

Cat milk question

Advertisements
    I have a question, we took in some moms from a hoarding situation last week, one of them had babies that were only hours old. We noticed this past weekend that she wasn't producing that much milk and the babies seemed behind. We looked at one of the other moms that she came in with and she had a ton of milk, so we went ahead and put them together thinking that they could help each other. Looking at them today they both aren't really producing enough milk for everyone. We called 2 vets today to see if there is a supplement that we can give them to help produce more, we were told that there isn't. I just find this really hard believe because I feel like this has to be a problem for people other than rescues.

Is the only way to help these 2 to seriously supplement bottle feeding the babies?? Does anyone else know of something we can do to help? They're getting has much food as they want, water is always topped off, I even added in some powdered KMR to the food today.
  2. Senior Member
    Are the moms eating dry or wet food?
  3. Senior Member
    I would just bottle feed them anyway. Nursing can take a lot from the mother and they might not be producing much milk because of poor health from the situation they were in. I don't know if pet stores carry it, but I know that my local farm and ranch supply store always carries supplements for kittens. I'd try and google it, since there are probably a lot of resources for raising kittens, I just personally think it would be best for the mothers to have time to recover.
  4. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggyBiggs View Post
    Both.
  5. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    I would just bottle feed them anyway. Nursing can take a lot from the mother and they might not be producing much milk because of poor health from the situation they were in. I don't know if pet stores carry it, but I know that my local farm and ranch supply store always carries supplements for kittens. I'd try and google it, since there are probably a lot of resources for raising kittens, I just personally think it would be best for the mothers to have time to recover.
    We can't take on bottle feeding full time, there are primarily 2 of us. The moms are really good, very diligent about looking after the babies, they just need an extra boost. I supplemented a feeding today, and probably will every day this week. I know the reality is that not all of the babies will make it, but I'm stubborn and refuse to let any of them go without a fight.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    They make powdered milk for cats, sold at pet stores.
    Whatever you do, no cows milk.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  7. Senior Member
    If the moms are producing some milk then you might not need to bottle feed full time, right?
  8. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    They make powdered milk for cats, sold at pet stores.
    Whatever you do, no cows milk.
    Yeah we got a donation of powdered using that for babies and moms.
  9. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    We usually offer moms kitten dry/wet food and the KMR milk replacement (not just the powder but mixed up in a bowl so they can drink it) Sometimes it helps and sometimes because of the stressful situation or whatever they still won't produce enough milk and the babies need to be supplemented. But if the moms are nursing some of the time then you can probably just bottle feed 2-4 times daily to supplement. Keep tabs on the babies weight, make sure they aren't loosing any. Even an ounce or two when they are that tiny can be detrimental.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggyBiggs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaA View Post
    Both.
    Cats are notorious for being dehydrated or just not hydrated enough. Try switching to only canned food and even see if they'll eat it if you add even more water to it. The more water you can get in them the better. That might help with milk production. Even for cats who are not nursing we recommend canned food because they usually don't drink enough water to truly be fully hydrated.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast