Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Titan got attacked

1. Senior Member

Titan got attacked

Advertisements
    My mom was walking him this evening around our neighborhood and I guess two dogs attacked him. He's got a bit of a scratch under his eye that's bleeding a bit but it looks pretty small & he seems fine otherwise so I'm thinking I'll just call the vet in the AM. My mom's pretty shook up, though. I think she feels bad cause she didn't know what to do, even though she managed to get home safely & with Titan only minorly injured so I think she did fine. Any advice for the future if we encounter this problem again?
  2. Senior Member
    I can definitely relate to her on being shook up. I was walking my dog one morning when a pretty large pit bull ran out. I thought I'd just ignore it and it would leave since most pits I've met aren't too aggressive. It was trying to get at my Golden's neck and I have always been told not to get between fighting dogs, but I noticed that he seriously wanted nothing to do with me. Like I could even touch it without being bit. I held the pitbull an arms length away and scooted my dog past then yelled at the pit to stay and we went on our way.

It's really about learning to intimidate the other dog(s) and be stern. I hope your little guy is feeling alright. Do you know where the dog lives? I had to change my route temporarily because of really agressive dogs who could jump their fence....
  3. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

I would file a report with your local police department. We had a dog attack my neighbor a few months back and I called the sheriffs department right after it happened and filed an incident report. It may not be a bad idea to notify animal control as well and they maybe could come out and see if they can locate the animals assuming they're still loose just to avoid them attacking someone else.

As far as future incidents go I don't really have too much advice! It sounds like your mom did good since the poor guy only came home with minor injuries but that is still terrifying.

4. Senior Member
    Keep an eye on the injury even though it's minor. My Zeus was attacked by my grandad's dog and had a little scrape on the side of his face. I cleaned it right away, but it still ended up getting so infected! I'll spare you the details, but since the injury was a bite wound it had all that lovely bacteria in it.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    I can definitely relate to her on being shook up. I was walking my dog one morning when a pretty large pit bull ran out. I thought I'd just ignore it and it would leave since most pits I've met aren't too aggressive. It was trying to get at my Golden's neck and I have always been told not to get between fighting dogs, but I noticed that he seriously wanted nothing to do with me. Like I could even touch it without being bit. I held the pitbull an arms length away and scooted my dog past then yelled at the pit to stay and we went on our way.

It's really about learning to intimidate the other dog(s) and be stern. I hope your little guy is feeling alright. Do you know where the dog lives? I had to change my route temporarily because of really agressive dogs who could jump their fence....
    Agreed! The best thing is to not freak out, the dog will feed from that and overall it just will not do any good. Try to get the dogs separated so that you can get out of there as best you can. I'd also file a report so something is on file in case anything were to happen in the future. Hoping your little pup heals just fine!
  6. Senior Member
    I'm gal she's mostly okay and I hope he recovers quickly. Poor guy!

Please call the local police and report the incident, which as much detail as you know (address of the dog or attack, whether he was out by himself and/or not on a leash, description of dog and owner, etc.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

We carry water because squirting/splashing an attacking dog can get it to stop. I saw it once at a dog park. Obviously not a guaranteed method but it is something. For wildnerness we carry bear spray.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I'm gal she's mostly okay and I hope he recovers quickly. Poor guy!

Please call the local police and report the incident, which as much detail as you know (address of the dog or attack, whether he was out by himself and/or not on a leash, description of dog and owner, etc.
    How will reporting the incident help? My mom is pretty sure these two had accidentally gotten out of their home as she said the owner seemed to be chasing after them & managed to catch the meaner of the two. The other dog followed her all the way home and I am pretty sure she took one of our spare leashes out to him. So, hopefully, those other dogs are safely back at home.
  9. Senior Member
    It helps because if the animals are truly vicious, or there owners don't have them properly secured so they are getting out often (as opposed to a true accident, which sometimes happens), then the issue can be handled. It creates a file, essentially, so that if these are problem animals (or owners, really) and this wasn't a one-time thing, it can be dealt with.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    How will reporting the incident help? My mom is pretty sure these two had accidentally gotten out of their home as she said the owner seemed to be chasing after them & managed to catch the meaner of the two. The other dog followed her all the way home and I am pretty sure she took one of our spare leashes out to him. So, hopefully, those other dogs are safely back at home.
    It'll help for the future. If that dog goes after another animal they will be able to see that it wasn't the first time. Then they can look into why it keeps happening and make sure that the owner isn't just being neglectful and that the dog is being kept in a properly secured area.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast