Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shelter dog issues

1. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries

Shelter dog issues

Advertisements
    How do you decide what you can fix with a shelter dog?
    We got peanut over a month ago at the shelter. She has a few quirks we have been working out nothing crazy. But tonight she snapped at my son. He was reaching for his cup on the counter, and she was up next to him attempting to counter surf and she snapped sort of at his hand. He wasn't even touching her. He got his hand away before she made contacted.
    But now I'm worried. I don't know if we should wait it out and see if it ever happens again, or what! Right now we can't get a trainer, but we plan to this summer as long as we don't move.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I would work on training her yourself if you can't get at trainer right now but if it is at all possible I would try to fit in a trainer. Counter surfing should be a big no-no; when my dogs do it (1 beagle and 1 lab mix) I pull them off and then ignore them. The lab gets the hint the beagle not so much so she just constantly gets pushed down until she gets that its not allowed.

I wonder what made her snap; this is obviously the first time she's done it right? Maybe she thought the cup was food or had food on it and she was trying to get that?

One thing I always always tell my adopters (I volunteer for a rescue in DC) is that they have to watch bot the kids and the dog and it is generally imperative to get the dog into training as quickly as possible when coming out of a shelter situation because you never know what they have gone through in the past.

As someone who was raised as a kid with dogs I've been snapped at and bitten multiple times and in retrospect they were almost all my fault so are you sure your son didn't do anything to the dog?
  3. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Shelter dogs can definitely have higher incidence of guarding behaviors- toys, food etc.., and often time that can be worked with a trainer, but I agree with PP that 95% of dog bites are due to children not doing appropriate behaviors because they cannot read dog body language. As the adult human, it is your job to monitor all child/animal interactions in your home, ESPECIALLY in the first year of owning a dog since it can take a few months for their personalities to come out fully. And, to be quite frank, if you cant afford a few training sessions, you cant afford a dog. You got rid of your last one, and now want to get rid of this one. My advice- stop having dogs.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac N Cheese View Post
    How do you decide what you can fix with a shelter dog?
    We got peanut over a month ago at the shelter. She has a few quirks we have been working out nothing crazy. But tonight she snapped at my son. He was reaching for his cup on the counter, and she was up next to him attempting to counter surf and she snapped sort of at his hand. He wasn't even touching her. He got his hand away before she made contacted.
    But now I'm worried. I don't know if we should wait it out and see if it ever happens again, or what! Right now we can't get a trainer, but we plan to this summer as long as we don't move.
    Be stern with her and be sure that she knows you are in charge and will not tolerate her acting out like this. Just your attitude can go a long way with a dog's behavior. I would give it some time to see if she gets better with some training, but definitely supervise ALL of their time together. When I first got my dog I took a few precautions to male sure he wouldn't have any guarding behaviors like petting him when he was eating, picking up the food briefly while he ate, getting in his face. Those things could help you determine if that is what caused her to snap.
  5. Moderator

I would scrimp and save, getting a trainer. Until then, I would leash her to me or crate her if I couldn't closely supervise.

A month isn't long to learn how to operate in a family with children and another dog. She has to learn manners and her place within the pack. Was the snap out of the blue, or did she preface it with a growl? Children have to be taught how to be around dogs, just as much a vice versa. It entails close supervision.

All our dogs are rescues and we have three kids. They all had to learn to coexist.
  6. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Shelter dogs can definitely have higher incidence of guarding behaviors- toys, food etc.., and often time that can be worked with a trainer, but I agree with PP that 95% of dog bites are due to children not doing appropriate behaviors because they cannot read dog body language. As the adult human, it is your job to monitor all child/animal interactions in your home, ESPECIALLY in the first year of owning a dog since it can take a few months for their personalities to come out fully. And, to be quite frank, if you cant afford a few training sessions, you cant afford a dog. You got rid of your last one, and now want to get rid of this one. My advice- stop having dogs.
    I'm not getting rid of her lightly, I have 100% never had a dog that bit besides in the puppy playing phase. I wanted other opinions.

This is the first time she's done this. I was actually watching them from the dinning room where I was sitting on the floor working on peanut not counter surfing the kitchen table where my daughter was eating. I know he wasn't messing with her at all. He was just going for his cup. She was only in the shelter for 2 weeks. She was brought in the 14th and we took her home I think the 28th? She wasn't there long and she tested great on there aggression testing thing they do.
    I am going to not let her around the kids alone anymore. So far her leash training has gone great and she's almost completely leashed trained just working on her reacting to small animals.
    I just got worrie tonight by this behavior and wanted to know what others do.

Oh and pretty sure she has beagle in her sounds like she's as stubborn as your beagle
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

7. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    I would scrimp and save, getting a trainer. Until then, I would leash her to me or crate her if I couldn't closely supervise.

A month isn't long to learn how to operate in a family with children and another dog. She has to learn manners and her place within the pack. Was the snap out of the blue, or did she preface it with a growl? Children have to be taught how to be around dogs, just as much a vice versa. It entails close supervision.

All our dogs are rescues and we have three kids. They all had to learn to coexist.
    No growl or I would of warned him and taught him. In fact I don't thing I've heard her growl once since being here. She howls some times in her crate, and a few barks if she sees a bird but no growling.
    This is our first rescue so I'm learning. We have always had dogs from puppies.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Mac N Cheese View Post
    I'm not getting rid of her lightly, I have 100% never had a dog that bit besides in the puppy playing phase. I wanted other opinions.

This is the first time she's done this. I was actually watching them from the dinning room where I was sitting on the floor working on peanut not counter surfing the kitchen table where my daughter was eating. I know he wasn't messing with her at all. He was just going for his cup. She was only in the shelter for 2 weeks. She was brought in the 14th and we took her home I think the 28th? She wasn't there long and she tested great on there aggression testing thing they do.
    I am going to not let her around the kids alone anymore. So far her leash training has gone great and she's almost completely leashed trained just working on her reacting to small animals.
    I just got worrie tonight by this behavior and wanted to know what others do.

Oh and pretty sure she has beagle in her sounds like she's as stubborn as your beagle
    My beagle is a little bitch I'll probably never get another one as I'm not good with the constant sniffing and begging.

And time actually in the shelter isn't usually where aggression/ possession issues usually manifest a lot of it is from life before the shelter...ie was she abused, abandoned, left to fend for herself etc. We're pretty sure our beagle was abandoned and had to survive on her own and now she is extremely food driven so if you touch her food while she's eating she will snap at you and she goes for other dogs food and snaps at them when they say screw you. We've had her for just over a year and we're still working on issues like that and peeing inside (usually just first thing in the morning). I don't have kids so I don't know what I would do if my dog snapped but honestly IMO it is a common thing for dogs to do if they don't like something. Could she have though your son had food on the counter and was trying to get that from him by snapping?
  9. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild*Rose View Post
    My beagle is a little bitch :LOL I'll probably never get another one as I'm not good with the constant sniffing and begging.

And time actually in the shelter isn't usually where aggression/ possession issues usually manifest a lot of it is from life before the shelter...ie was she abused, abandoned, left to fend for herself etc. We're pretty sure our beagle was abandoned and had to survive on her own and now she is extremely food driven so if you touch her food while she's eating she will snap at you and she goes for other dogs food and snaps at them when they say screw you. We've had her for just over a year and we're still working on issues like that and peeing inside (usually just first thing in the morning). I don't have kids so I don't know what I would do if my dog snapped but honestly IMO it is a common thing for dogs to do if they don't like something. Could she have though your son had food on the counter and was trying to get that from him by snapping?
    She might have thought that food was on the counter, and might be confused about her place in the pack compared to him. She has no issues with food and me messing with it. I haven't let the kids around her while she eats cause I want them to learn to respect an animal while they eat. Only food issue with me is getting too excited to g t the treat. So we are working on her sit stay. Sit is going well, stay not so much
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

10. Senior Member
    I agree with everyone else, dogs and small children can have a stressed relationship because dogs aren't necessarily going to respect them in the "pack order". Being that the dog was only in the shelter for two weeks this behavior is likely the result of a previous owner or situation. I would definitely monitor any interaction and make sure that the dog has a "safe place". I am a huge fan of crate training because it gives the dog a place to be that is all theirs and they can go for quiet time. This means that the kids learn when the dog is in the crate that he shouldn't be bothered. Really this could be a symptom of the dog being food aggressive or just stressed out. We have owned multiple rescues, my current one came off a farm in rural SC and had severe separation anxiety. My parents have a rescue that they got when he bite a child that he was in a home with. And 12 years later, this dog still just doesn't have the temperament for kids. They are too unpredictable and it makes him feel insecure and snappy. But he knows that he isn't going to pull that crap on me. Dogs do best when there is consistency, routine, and structure. The rescue that I have worked with in the past allowed you to foster before adoption to make sure that the dog is a good fit for the family, it is a really good idea.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast