Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rescue needs good vibes

1. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries

Rescue needs good vibes

Advertisements
    We took one of our seniors into the vet a month ago for a skin issue, the vet noticed that she was very skinny and did a thyroid test. She has a thyroid issue and prescribed medication. Over the last few weeks we noticed the skin issues wasn't getting better, and she had some other issues coming up now. The vet kinda blew us off, and we went to another vet, who told us that thyroid medication was having horrible side effects and it was something that should have been prescribed after blood work being done and usually isn't prescribed at all. That blood work wasn't done. It started off with neurological effects and stomach upset, no appetite. She's now not eating at all and we took her back today and she's in renal failure. She started off at almost 6 pounds, and is now down to almost 3. The vet sent us with fluids, a meal replacement plan to syringe feed her but really didn't give us much hope. He said if she pulls through she'll have maybe another year, but in all reality it's likely she'll be gone in 72 hours. We did ask if it's time to euthanize today and he said she's so skinny he couldn't hit a vein, and it would be easier on her to just go on her own if she's going to.

There are a lot of mixed emotions right now, we feel like we failed her. We had a lot going on at the rescue in the last month right after we took her to the vet. We feel like we failed her, we didn't ask questions or do our own research, and placed too much trust in the first vet, who essentially said "it's just a rescue animal" we weren't asking for a discounted price on the bill or anything we took her there to get answers.

Please keep us in your thoughts, I'll update has I know more.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

poor thing You will be in my thoughts
  3. Senior Member
    Poor baby!!! Sending so many
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  4. Senior Member

I'm so sorry. Thoughts and prayers heading your way! You are such a strong person to work with rescues. (((hugs)))

March 7, 2015: I married my best friend!

5. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    She passed last night We knew she probably wouldn't make it, but this just sucks.
  6. Senior Member
    So incredibly sorry!
  7. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    What kind of horrible ass backwards vet would say it's better to go on her own in kidney failure?!? im so sorry she's gone, but in the future I would never, ever use that vet.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaA View Post
    She passed last night We knew she probably wouldn't make it, but this just sucks.
    I am soooo sorry!!!
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    What kind of horrible ass backwards vet would say it's better to go on her own in kidney failure?!? im so sorry she's gone, but in the future I would never, ever use that vet.
  10. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    She'd lost so much weight and was so dehydrated, and had quit eating, he didn't think he could humanely euthanize. He had drawn blood earlier and her veins were so bad it took awhile to get it and he was afraid she'd go from the stress at that point. He said at that point if she was in pain it was more from dehydration and hunger, the owner of the rescue did sub q fluids at her house to help with the dehydration. It's been a mess, the first vet should have checked her kidneys, liver and neurological system before the thyroid meds and didn't.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast