Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Just one teary dog eye

1. Senior Member

Just one teary dog eye

Advertisements
    Clementine has just one eye tearing today, like constantly. My grandpa wiped it away once and said it was greenish, but to me it looks clear. It's happened before and resolved itself by the next day. It doesn't really seem to be bothering her either, she's not rubbing her face and she lets me clean it. Do you think I should take her to the vet if it's not cleared up by Monday?

Obviously if it gets worse I'm definitely bringing her in. I'm just not sure how much it really matters that her eye is tearing.
  2. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Eyes are often no big deal, but can become severe very quickly. If she is not squinting at all, and the sclera (white part) isnt red, it is probably ok to wait to monday, but I would see if your vet has Saturday hours and go in tomorrow if you can. If there is ever any squinting, go in ASAP.

ETA: It could be anything from conjunctivitis (pink eye) to allergies to something in the eye to an ulcer. The ulcers are what can get very bad, very fast.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Brady has had that happen and it was just allergies. The vet said she could prescribe him allergy pills or I could give him a child's dose of Benadryl...obviously I chose the Benadryl because its a lot cheaper. For reference, he is a 50ish lb lab mix.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Eyes are often no big deal, but can become severe very quickly. If she is not squinting at all, and the sclera (white part) isnt red, it is probably ok to wait to monday, but I would see if your vet has Saturday hours and go in tomorrow if you can. If there is ever any squinting, go in ASAP.

ETA: It could be anything from conjunctivitis (pink eye) to allergies to something in the eye to an ulcer. The ulcers are what can get very bad, very fast.
    She's not squinting at all and they're normal colored. No Saturday hours as far as I'm aware but I can call in the morning. Is there anything I should do in the meantime? Benadryl? Rinse her eye?
  5. Senior Member
    Awww, my dog has that and our vet suggested claritin. It seems to be working.
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."