Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog boarding vs pet sitter?

1. Senior Member

Dog boarding vs pet sitter?

Advertisements
    Do you guys have a preference? How do you decide on a boarding facility to use if you board them? When I visit my brother in Japan I'll be out of town for two weeks. In the past Titan has stayed with my parents or one of my siblings but this time all of us are going out of town and I have no idea who to have watch him lol.
  2. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Unless I have a friend that I absolutely trust, I board. I don't like random people in my house. When deciding on a boarding place, I look to see what they require from me (shot records, feeding schedule, etc) and look to see if they have a play area. I also try to find one that also does grooming. I like coming home to a good smelling pooch!
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I prefer dog sitters because I have 3 dogs so by the time I pay for boarding for them it's the same price. I feel more comfortable having them together at home with a new person rather than being entirely out of their element without their people. My border collie mix is also very anxious and even if we're with her and she's away from home she refuses to eat for two or three days, won't poop for a few days and won't do anything on a leash at all.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HisJuliet View Post
    Unless I have a friend that I absolutely trust, I board. I don't like random people in my house. When deciding on a boarding place, I look to see what they require from me (shot records, feeding schedule, etc) and look to see if they have a play area. I also try to find one that also does grooming. I like coming home to a good smelling pooch!
    especially after that dog was stolen. I would board him. Look into places like Camp Bow Wow.

Dog Boarding, Dog Daycare, Training, Pet Sitting | Camp Bow Wow
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  5. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazmine View Post
    I prefer dog sitters because I have 3 dogs so by the time I pay for boarding for them it's the same price. I feel more comfortable having them together at home with a new person rather than being entirely out of their element without their people.
    Same!

I have an awesome petsitter I found through Rover.com - she and/or her boyfriend come to the house a few times per day. If she isn't available, I have a dog walking company that does the same, but I try to avoid them because they are way more expensive than my sitter.
    ~Becca~

6. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    I always preferred to board- people are there during the day in case something goes wrong that needs to be medically addressed, they can have play-date time with other dogs (assuming the boarding place allows it), and they get more interaction. I also would ever let a stranger in my home when I wasn't there.
  7. Moderator

We board. My dogs enjoy it, plus we get their grooming done. I'm just paranoid that something could happen while we are gone, so I like the peace of mind that they are boarded.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brahette View Post
    Same!

I have an awesome petsitter I found through Rover.com - she and/or her boyfriend come to the house a few times per day. If she isn't available, I have a dog walking company that does the same, but I try to avoid them because they are way more expensive than my sitter.
    I was just about to ask "Isn't there a website like care.com but for pet sitters?" I would check them out and scope out boarding facilities in your area and go with whoever you are most comfortable leaving your pup with. Husbands grandparents always left their dog with a sitter that did it for a living right in her own house. So it was a cross between a sitter and a boarding facility.
  9. Senior Member
    I prefer to board too. I had my neighbor watch my dog who is a dog lover. However, she took her on long walks through fields with her dogs. Didn't bathe her (she was filthy) and she had ticks. She also dropped the leash one day. My dog is a timid, skittish greyhound... Another friend I used wasn't there when I picked up my dog. Her house was a mess and my dog had the runs after...probably from eating something sitting around on the floor or whatever. ugh.
  10. Senior Member
    I prefer to board. My dog is super high energy and has quirks so I don't trust anyone with him lol. At a boarding place he can get into less trouble and gets play dates and even swim time at one place because they have a pool. I don't worry about him at a boarding place. That said, I ALWAYS go tour the place first and get reviews. I hate places that just stick them in a run and don't interact with them the whole time. It's SO important to go see it first!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast