Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nail trimming on the cat

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Nail trimming on the cat

Advertisements
    I know it is good to trim the cats nails, I try and trim his nails once a week to keep the sharp points from killing our furniture. My question comes to the back leg. Is it as important to trim the back nails as often?

He lets me trim his front nails with out issue, but when I get to his back leg he fights me a lot more.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    No.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Senior Member
    I've honestly never once trimmed my cat's nails...
  4. Senior Member
    Ive trimmed all my cat's nails.
    Im sure its uncomfortable as fuck for him to be walking around with both front paws clipped yet his back paws are essentially needles. I hate uneven nails >:[

Plus he grabs with his back legs too and that shit can hurt.
  5. Senior Member
    I don't trim the back ones as often. I also sometimes will break it up and only do the fronts and wait a few days before I do the back ones.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I have been trimming once a week just to get the sharp tips off, since he climbs my furniture instead of jumping. With the tips trimmed off it does a lot less damage.
    I might go to the back leg every other week instead of every week, just to not stress the poor guy out as much. I just find it odd, he is calm as can be when I trim his front claws, but as soon as I go to trim the back claws, he is like a wild bronco.
  7. Senior Member
    I trim all four. On my one cat who absolutely hates it, I'll trim one nail or two at a time
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot do!
  8. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    We trim our cat's nails every once in a while (like maybe once a month) but for the most part she has scratching posts just about everywhere in our home and that's how cats maintain their own nails in the wild (by scratching on trees and whatnot) so I figure she's fine.

9. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    I've honestly never once trimmed my cat's nails...
    I haven't either.

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikatoka View Post
    I know it is good to trim the cats nails, I try and trim his nails once a week to keep the sharp points from killing our furniture. My question comes to the back leg. Is it as important to trim the back nails as often?

He lets me trim his front nails with out issue, but when I get to his back leg he fights me a lot more.
    I don't think so, but my cat is my first indoor cat, so I could be totally wrong. I know before DF came along I couldn't do the back nails because she wouldn't let me. What we do is DF holds her, pets her, looks at her eyes and talks soothingly to her, while I trim the back nails. She'll tolerate it with this method. When DF was deployed I tried to get someone else to hold her, she was okay up until I tried to trim her nails, and then she went as crazy as if I tried it by myself. Jumped right out of her hands too. It seems like with my cat, DF is the only one that can sooth her down enough or distract her to get it done.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast